User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Default MBTI poll on an ADHD forum

Edit: Please read carefully. The point of this post is NOT to suggest that there is a correlation between ADHD and certain MB types; it's the opposite, that there probably isn't one.

There've been several threads about this at once and a few others in the past, so to hopefully put it to bed, here's what happened when over 300 people on an ADHD support forum took the humanmetrics test. As you can see, every type is represented, and in the same broad proportions as are found on every other Internet forum I've cared to investigate. As usual, INXP was the most common, ESXJ the least common.

ADHD MBTI Poll

It stands to reason to me that different types will manifest hyperactivity, impulsivity and/or inattention in different ways, some in less stereotypical or socially isolating ways and some perhaps more likely to be diagnosed later in life than others as a result, but all experiencing those three non-MBTI related symptoms to a degree that is significantly impairing and/or distressing.

Edit: Chapter six of this book (read it here) explains more and mentions a study that also suggested ADHD is not the same thing as certain MB types, and in fact found a slight negative correlation between ADHD and perceived 'ADHD-like' MB types. Scroll down about an inch to read it.
    Last edited by compulsiverambler; 10-11-2009 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Added link to book preview

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    EIE

WOW INFP and INTP have the most :o

I get the INTPs, but I would never have guessed INFPs xD

MBTI
    xxxx

Obligatory "statistics may not reflect reality." You have to put that poll in the context of the disproportionate type representation on the internet. Could it perhaps be that a given type with ADHD/ADD may not have the attention span to go online, join a forum, AND vote on a poll on this forum? The sampling mechanism here is poor.

The poll referenced in the OP is not enough data to draw any sort of a conclusion that relates to a correlation between type and ADD/ADHD.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Pristinegirl View Post

why not? INFs in general are known to be able to get lost in their own world. Probably Perceivers even more so because they don't feel they have to abide by some sort of structure most of the time. I would think INFPs are some of the most prone to neglecting details and losing focus.

matthew makes a good point. It's always good to be aware that most of the SPs and SJs are going to be out doing things rather than spending their time on type theory and messageboards.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Pristinegirl View Post

Keep in mind that this doesn't show which types are most common among people with ADHD; this shows which types are most common among people with ADHD who are posting in an online forum and who are interested enough in MBTI to take it.

So, as compulsiverambler said, the proportions of the types are similar to those found in other forums. There may be little or no correlation.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I have ADHD.

Edit: Matthew Z is right. If you have studied statistics you know that.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Matthew Z beat me to it. Oh well.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8sx
    Socionics
    ENTJ

Diagnosed since I was 5.

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

(Bolding mine)
    Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    Keep in mind that this doesn't show which types are most common among people with ADHD; this shows which types are most common among people with ADHD who are posting in an online forum and who are interested enough in MBTI to take it.

So, as compulsiverambler said, the proportions of the types are similar to those found in other forums. There may be little or no correlation.
    Exactly. Matthew_Z, the point I'm making is against the belief that ADHD must affect only particular types, is defined by particular types or even is correlated with particular types. The proportions in that poll are no different from most forums' polls, and there's no reason to assume that the proportions in the general population of ADHDers would be different from those of the general population of non-ADHDers, either.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    why not? INFs in general are known to be able to get lost in their own world. Probably Perceivers even more so because they don't feel they have to abide by some sort of structure most of the time. I would think INFPs are some of the most prone to neglecting details and losing focus.

matthew makes a good point. It's always good to be aware that most of the SPs and SJs are going to be out doing things rather than spending their time on type theory and messageboards.
    I did not think about that. In that sense you are soo right!! :P

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post

Thats true, it is not a controlled sampling either.