• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI poll on an ADHD forum

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yet 42% had dropped out of postsecondary education at least once; some had returned and dropped out multiple times because of difficulty meeting academic requirements. A similar proportion of subjects (41%) were significantly underemployed at evaluation, often in unskilled jobs.

"Despite superior IQ, many subjects showed impairments on IQ subtests sensitive to attention and concentration problems relative to their high scores on other verbal subtests," Dr. Brown reported.
That's all true of me.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Live in my brain for a day and then tell me what's preferable.

You know the drugs used to treat ADHD are also used by some doctors to help brain injured patients recover, don't you? Not only do they alleviate the symptoms of post-concussive syndrome, which are the same symptoms ADHD patients have, but they think they help the damaged parts grow back more quickly. I don't think that's a coincidence. Especially as it's also been found that children given ADHD drugs are more likely to have their brain catch up to a normal stage of development by adulthood.

They have also found a plethora of side effects of ADHD drugs given to children. This article is a good read:

http://f.digaetani.googlepages.com/ADHD_Sciamm.pdf

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
They have also found a plethora of side effects of ADHD drugs given to children. This article is a good read:

http://f.digaetani.googlepages.com/ADHD_Sciamm.pdf
There are potential side effects to ALL drugs. If the side effects aren't worth the benefits, which they usually are according to clinicial trials and mountains of anecdotal evidence, you stop taking them, and unlike anti-depressants, you don't have to worry about withdrawal effects unless you've abused them. No psychiatric drugs have a better safety record than these stimulants, and the side effects are similar to those of caffeine because they're so similar to the innocuous caffeine. Even the people who do get side effects at first usually find they disappear within days or weeks. I take methylphenidate and have no side effects at all any more.

The people spreading lies about the medications are Scientologists and their shills, the same people who tell epileptics not to take anti-convulsants, and the non-scientific media and other attention-seekers take them seriously about this one because it makes a good story. They're scientifically bankrupt and dishonest. They've been caught misrepresenting research data more than once.

Edit:
Here's a rebuttal of your Dr. Higgins. Be the Best You can Be: Scientific American goes nuclear on Ritalin Didn't take long to find. Counter-arguments usually don't when you think to look for them.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
To focus is to leave out.
In other words, to focus is to discriminate. To judge.

Discrimination is not to pay attention.
Attention does not discriminate.

At school they teach you to focus.
They do not teach you to be attentive.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
There are potential side effects to ALL drugs. If the side effects aren't worth the benefits, which they usually are according to clinicial trials and mountains of anecdotal evidence, you stop taking them, and unlike anti-depressants, you don't have to worry about withdrawal effects unless you've abused them. No psychiatric drugs have a better safety record than these stimulants, and the side effects are similar to those of caffeine because they're so similar to the innocuous caffeine. Even the people who do get side effects at first usually find they disappear within days or weeks. I take methylphenidate and have no side effects at all any more.

The people spreading lies about the medications are Scientologists and their shills, and the non-scientific media take them seriously because it makes a good story. They're scientifically bankrupt and dishonest. They've been caught misrepresenting research data more than once.

ADHD drugs are amphetamines. If you have a medical condition that necessitates its usage, fair. They are not good for widespread use, as it's been shown by that article. They are not similar to caffeine, because caffeine is not an amphetamine - the dopaminergic reputake is much more strongly affected by amphetamines (that act in a direct way on dopamine receptors) than it is by caffeine (which is mediated by adenosine), giving typical drug-like side effects in the case of amphetamines, while caffeine withdrawal mostly manifests itself in drowsiness.

That article is a good read for anybody that wants to treat their children with ADHD drugs. Many children might not be suited for hours of homework. This does not mean that there is something wrong with them.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ADHD drugs are amphetamines. If you have a medical condition that necessitates its usage, fair. They are not good for widespread use, as it's been shown by that article. They are not similar to caffeine, because caffeine is not an amphetamine - the dopaminergic reputake is much more strongly affected by amphetamines (that act in a direct way on dopamine receptors) than it is by caffeine (which is mediated by adenosine), giving typical drug-like side effects in the case of amphetamines, while caffeine withdrawal mostly manifests itself in drowsiness.

That article is a good read for anybody that wants to treat their children with ADHD drugs. Many children might not be suited for hours of homework. This does not mean that there is something wrong with them.
Here's a rebuttal of your Dr. Higgins. Be the Best You can Be: Scientific American goes nuclear on Ritalin Didn't take long to find. Counter-arguments usually don't when you think to look for them.

Methylphenidate is not an amphetamine. It IS more like caffeine than anything else, in several ways. Adderall is amphetamines, but it's still nothing like taking methamphetamine in terms of health effects. What you're doing is like comparing ethanol (alcohol) with methanol (deadly even in small amounts) because they're in the same chemical group, and suggesting no one should drink alcohol because of that. Chloride ions are vital for human life; chlorine gas will kill you. Small differences can make big differences.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Uh-uh, a Dr. that can't accept that his kid is not good at school. TOUGH LIFE

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
It's not that ADHD drugs don't treat ADHD.

It's just that ADHD/ADD is vastly overdiagnosed.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Can I ask this though, what are you looking to get out of a formal diagnosis for this?

I went to get a diagnosis before for the sole reason to get a cheaper and a more reliable source of adderall in college. I probably do technically have ADHD Inattentive though.

Thanks for the article. I think, though, that someone would need some sort of extraordinary evidence (like home video footage or something like compulsiverambler said) in order to make the case that they were just a really smart ADHD kid. I fear that they will probably diagnose me with depression (which I am definitely not) or anxiety (which I might have) before ADHD.

In any case, like you, I too am looking for a cheaper and more reliable source of adderall. But it's not like I'm faking my symptoms...the thing that prompted me to look into any of this (including the adderall) was my constant underachievement in school, and (more recently) my inability to get anything done this semester with my increased workload. It usually takes me very long to read things that I don't want to read, and this semester I have to read at least three times more stuff that I don't want to read. So naturally I'm a little screwed.

And thanks compulsiverambler for the advice. I imagine that they are going to give me a battery of tests in addition to discussing my history, and I will definitely look into getting some home videos to see if they have anything important to show.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Thanks for the article. I think, though, that someone would need some sort of extraordinary evidence (like home video footage or something like compulsiverambler said) in order to make the case that they were just a really smart ADHD kid. I fear that they will probably diagnose me with depression (which I am definitely not) or anxiety (which I might have) before ADHD.

In any case, like you, I too am looking for a cheaper and more reliable source of adderall. But it's not like I'm faking my symptoms...the thing that prompted me to look into any of this (including the adderall) was my constant underachievement in school, and (more recently) my inability to get anything done this semester with my increased workload. It usually takes me very long to read things that I don't want to read, and this semester I have to read at least three times more stuff that I don't want to read. So naturally I'm a little screwed.

And thanks compulsiverambler for the advice. I imagine that they are going to give me a battery of tests in addition to discussing my history, and I will definitely look into getting some home videos to see if they have anything important to show.

I think the trick is to skip the psychologist and go straight to the drug dealer, the psychiatrist. I was able to get adderall prescribed with no formal tests, no real diagnosis (I don't think), just a visit where I made a great case for it without seeming overly interested and not exaggerating my symptoms too much.