User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

What the chapter says about P vs. J is most interesting, because that's what I've struggled to understand the most. I think if I were a J, my dreadful disorganisation and trouble planning things, and other inattentive symptoms, would have bothered me even when they weren't yet completely destroying every aspect my life and everything I dreamed for myself. Even when I wasn't desperate to change and trying my best.

Js are motivated to try to be organised by an internal desire for order/certainty, which is always there and always going to cause distress if not met. I as a P am motivated to try to be organised by likely external consequences of doing so or failing to, and they're not always there and so not always present to cause distress. Js with ADHD are going to suffer earlier on in the process and in more situations than the Ps with ADHD.

So it might take longer for a P with ADHD to come out of denial and acknowledge how little control they have over their tendencies, because some of the time they're genuinely not as bothered about order as most people are (most people being Js). It's frightening at first to consider the problem may be with you and therefore unlikely to change, rather than with the environmnent not suiting you and therefore likely temporary.

My oldest son was diagnosed ADHD. He took meds for about six years but the side effects-the marked behavorial changes going on and off the meds, were severe enough to cause issues.

He is a super ENFP. The meds helped tone down the Ne spastic, but what was more important for him-they had a mood stablizing effect. As young as three he would snap into Te rages when the Ne flow got bumped. Only now, in the last two years-he is 13, has the spastic worn off, but more importantly, you can see him actively using Fi.

He gets, angry, but then calms himself, and the explosions no longer happen. He also drives me insane telling me I need to be nicer to other people-like not run yellow lights, give money to panhandlers, not talk on the cell phone in drive throughs, not cut off other drivers. Our Fi values do not appear to be in alignment.

Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Ne-Monster View Post
    The meds helped tone down the Ne spastic, but what was more important for him-they had a mood stablizing effect. As young as three he would snap into Te rages when the Ne flow got bumped. Only now, in the last two years-he is 13, has the spastic worn off, but more importantly, you can see him actively using Fi.

He gets, angry, but then calms himself, and the explosions no longer happen.
    Some people, especially professionals working with adults, want the next updated version of the criteria for ADHD to include signs of emotional dysregulation as the fourth core set of symptoms. Not all have it but it's very common and can be the most disabling thing for some. At least one region of the brain that help stabilise moods is often underdeveloped in ADHD, and combined with inadequate impulse inhibition that can lead to very self-destructive behaviour in severe cases. I imagine different types will be more upset and worried about different things, but all risk their moods spiralling out of control and proportion. Your son was lucky to have that benefit as mood symptoms are the least often successfully treated by current medications. Mine makes me worse! I have adjusted to it slowly though.

MBTI
    XNTJ

Lol...ENTJs too because we aren't afraid to use our intellect or imagination to come up with ways to get things done, we are a lot like ENFJs in the way of being able to motiv-
    ate our peers and help them come up with solutions to things they are trying to get do-
    ne so sometimes people see us as trouble because ideas can change things and throw
    their carefully planned systems off balance. While we are distracted and daydreaming
    sometimes we catch things like cliques starting at places that often go unnoticed by ot-
    hers so even if we don't get in trouble or cause problems we're not always on authoriti-
    es good side.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

[QUOTE=compulsiverambler;865411]Here's chapter from a book about how MBTI type and ADHD interact.

ADD in the Workplace Chapter Six - ADD and Personality Type at Work

Cool cite - thanks.

Some professionals who are knowledgeable about the Myers-Briggs personality types but who are not experts in ADD sometimes confuse preferences and tendencies. For example, among certain MBTI personality types there are individuals whose preferences is to be active and impulsive with little tolerance for detailed, mundane work. Such a person might be mistaken for one with ADD. In fact, there are those who mistakenly believe that ADD is a personality type rather than a neurological disorder. In a study of several hundred school children, however, the MBTI personality types that might be mistaken for ADD were found slightly more often among non-ADD students than among those with ADD!
    Yes, well put. This helps differentiate a P preference from an ADD tendency.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Puppy View Post
    He is a super ENFP. The meds helped tone down the Ne spastic, but what was more important for him-they had a mood stablizing effect. As young as three he would snap into Te rages when the Ne flow got bumped. Only now, in the last two years-he is 13, has the spastic worn off, but more importantly, you can see him actively using Fi.
    Puppy - I'm guessing your son has the hyperactive kind. That usually wears off with age too. Glad he's feeling more in control of his emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    At least one region of the brain that help stabilise moods is often underdeveloped in ADHD, and combined with inadequate impulse inhibition that can lead to very self-destructive behaviour in severe cases. I imagine different types will be more upset and worried about different things, but all risk their moods spiralling out of control and proportion.
    Yep! I think newer medications may be helping mood effects better too. Any thoughts?

Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    Yep! I think newer medications may be helping mood effects better too. Any thoughts?
    I don't know. People react very differently to all of them. The clinical trials only record changes in inattention, impulsivity and hyperactivity, so until they start looking at how they affect the emotional symptoms too, we can't really know which ones tend to be better for those.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Interesting.
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

ADHD is made-up.
    You're made up.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    You're made up.
    Nah, he's just a bit screwed up. I'm sure his world is made up.
    On the other hand, I love to see those ADHD Js.
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by PoprocksAndCoke View Post
    Nah, he's just a bit screwed up. I'm sure his world is made up.
    On the other hand, I love to see those ADHD Js.