User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    (Bolding mine)

Exactly. Matthew_Z, the point I'm making is against the belief that ADHD must affect only particular types, is defined by particular types or even is correlated with particular types. The proportions in that poll are no different from most forums' polls, and there's no reason to assume that the proportions in the general population of ADHDers would be different from those of the general population of non-ADHDers, either.
    And the point I'm attempting to make is that we don't have enough data to declare a correlation or even a lack thereof.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    And the point I'm attempting to make is that we don't have enough data to declare a correlation or even a lack thereof.
    That hasn't stopped people in other threads declaring that there is a correlation, in fact declaring that ADHD effectively is nothing but the pathologisation of certain MBTI personality types. As long as I can prove that belief wrong - as the existence of even a single ADHDer of a 'non-ADHD type' would - I'm happy.

I think the poll considered next to polls elsewhere also suggests that ADHDers online are no different from the general population online in terms of personality type, and given that, I find it unlikely we'd suddenly find divergence from that if we looked at people not online, but it's possible that overall there is some correlation, of course. However some currently unsupported beliefs have been stated that are potentially dangerous to public health, so I looked for some sort of evidence on the issue in the only way available to me. I think the poll is far from meaningless or useless, though it's true we've got to be cautious in exactly how we interpret it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    LII

Even if such a correlation between types exists, I've never seen ADHD as a genuine mental disorder to begin with.

When I was in elementary school, my teachers demanded I be tested for ADD because of my inattentiveness: I've always had a relatively short attention span. After about ten minutes of careful listening I'll gradually drift into deep thought and zone out until my attention is recaptured. As such, some people see me as a bit "spacey" and absentminded.
    I 79.65%
    N 67.34%
    T 80.53%
    P 75.76%

5w6 sp/so/sx

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Lithium Onyx View Post
    Even if such a correlation between types exists, I've never seen ADHD as a genuine mental disorder to begin with.

When I was in elementary school, my teachers demanded I be tested for ADD because of my inattentiveness: I've always had a relatively short attention span. After about ten minutes of careful listening I'll gradually drift into deep thought and zone out until my attention is recaptured. As such, some people see me as a bit "spacey" and absentminded.
    I was always known for my insanely long attention span in elementary school.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I do think people can be to quick to label normal variations in personality as abnormal. That doesn't mean the real disorder doesn't exist though. I've lurked at another online forum that had some diagnosed ADHDers (as well as parents of them), and they described it as quite disabling and much more than just being absentminded and dreamy.

I don't have it myself, so I can't describe what it's like.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    EIE

Good point!! =)

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I have ADHD, no I don't, yes I do.

Well, actually I don't, but I've been diagnosed, but that was easy.

Psychiatrists are stewpid.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    I do think people can be to quick to label normal variations in personality as abnormal. That doesn't mean the real disorder doesn't exist though. I've lurked at another online forum that had some diagnosed ADHDers (as well as parents of them), and they described it as quite disabling and much more than just being absentminded and dreamy.

I don't have it myself, so I can't describe what it's like.
    Agreed.

Not the best wording to illustrate my point. What I was trying to articulate, rather, was that while there's no denying some people out there suffer from a serious mental disorder that hampers proper concentration, or that causes extreme bouts of hyperactivity, what is commonly diagnosed as Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder since it's discovery in the 90s is often little more than either a behavioral problem, absentmindedness, etc. or even an entirely different disorder altogether (I could see manic episodes of a Bipolar sufferer being misdiagnosed as ADHD hyperactivity if the depression is overlooked or unseen). So, individuals with a serious problem in this area are lumped together with people that do not. I would consider this "mild" attention-deficiency as distinct from the truly disabling sort.

But what do I know.

What interests me more, actually, is the possible correlation between Myers-Briggs type and Asperger's Syndrome. To me, this seems a more rational connection.
    I 79.65%
    N 67.34%
    T 80.53%
    P 75.76%

5w6 sp/so/sx

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

ADHD is made-up.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Here's chapter from a book about how MBTI type and ADHD interact.

ADD in the Workplace Chapter Six - ADD and Personality Type at Work

The chapter starts at page 75 and you can view most of it. Just scroll down about an inch then use the page arrows just above it. It's all relevant but here's one paragraph to take note of:

Some professionals who are knowledgeable about the Myers-Briggs personality types but who are not experts in ADD sometimes confuse preferences and tendencies. For example, among certain MBTI personality types there are individuals whose preferences is to be active and impulsive with little tolerance for detailed, mundane work. Such a person might be mistaken for one with ADD. In fact, there are those who mistakenly believe that ADD is a personality type rather than a neurological disorder. In a study of several hundred school children, however, the MBTI personality types that might be mistaken for ADD were found slightly more often among non-ADD students than among those with ADD!

There's a superscript reference number but unfortunately the reference page that would have named the study is not included in the preview, so I can't find out more. Might google around for it later though.