• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Inferior Projection

VagrantFarce

"I don't have to persue my inferior function, look at what it does to the world..."

INJ (se): "...such a brutal, sensate landscape. why do people settle for animalistic immediacy? I'm not an animal, that's for sure. I'll conceive my own reality, on my own terms."
ITP (fe): "...people are so easily manipulated and shallow. I can see how things really work, I couldn't possibly play along. Isn't anyone able to think for themselves?"
IFP (te): "...individuals are so divided and discouraged, for such horrid impersonal reasons. I pay attention to how people feel, and that's more important than anything."
ISJ (ne): "...such chaos and nonsense, it would all self-destruct if it wasn't for those of us keeping check of things. Do people really want things to fall apart?"

EFJ (ti): "...cold, hard logic doesn't go anywhere toward helping people. where would we be without each other? why risk breaking that neccessary bond?"
ETJ (fi) "...people are so unwilling to take charge, too afraid of stepping on someone else's toes just to get something done. I get things done, I have the balls to see how life really works."
ENP (si) "...immobility never lasts, the earth never sits still. If you just sit in one place, how could you possibly go anywhere?"
ESP (ni) "...trying to repress your own instincts only serves to heighten them. why are people so frightened of what's right in front of their nose?"

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
The inferior function for IFPs is Te and the inferior function for ESPs is Ni.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
INJ (se): "...such a brutal, sensate landscape. why do people settle for animalistic immediacy? I'm not an animal, that's for sure. I'll conceive my own reality, on my own terms."

Hah, spot on. Though in the last couple years I've started to move into a more "aspirational" attitude towards Se ("PARTYYYYY").

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Hey, good job on these! This is actually one of the best presentations of the whole inferior issue that I've seen. Thanks.

P.S.- The Fe one is spot on.

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
ITP (fe): "...people are so easily manipulated and shallow. I can see how things really work, I couldn't possibly play along. Isn't anyone able to think for themselves?"

The amount I think this is absolutely ridiculous.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I usually don't think this unless it touches on a personal sensitivity. I've never been disgusted by things like eating meat, fast food, caffeinated beverages, people being out to make money, drinking alcohol (after age 21), etc. Sometimes I have this attitude about sexuality, but it's actually an excuse to avoid facing my real reasons for being uncomfortable with it, which are extremely personal and painful.

My typical attitude towards Se is usually more like indifference or misunderstanding, honestly.

The closest I come to thinking this is when I see people fighting in public without a good reason. I mean, if there was a good reason, that's one thing, but if they just come to blows over nothing, it seems stupid, barbaric and animal-like. But my real reason for having trouble with that is more along the lines of...

ISJ (ne): "...such chaos and nonsense, it would all self-destruct if it wasn't for those of us keeping check of things. Do people really want things to fall apart?"

This. This is actually closer to how I feel most of the time. It's precisely what I've blamed most of my problems on, the fact that I can't predict things well enough to make a reasonable decision. Things are seemingly based on chance occurrences that I don't know how to take advantage of, particularly in the job-seeking market.

ENP (si) "...immobility never lasts, the earth never sits still. If you just sit in one place, how could you possibly go anywhere?""

Ironically, the above actually seems to alternate with THIS perspective. I go from feeling comfortable with the above, to feeling trapped, frustrated by the world around me, and taking this perspective quite often. Then I try to change something, and find myself back in the above perspective, etc... it's just a mess.

VagrantFarce

Have you considered that you're an INxP of some sort? Alternating between an Si and Ne viewpoint seems to point toward that conclusion. :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I really relate to ENP with my younger self. Very much so. I was TERRIFIED of staying in one place for too long, and the frequency that I've moved and the fact that I've been all over the US (and now to Canada) shows that.

Thing is, though, I don't really feel that terror like I used to. I think that's actually a good thing...But actually now I relate more to what you've written for INJ and ITP as well.

Keps Mnemnosyne

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Mm
I think I need to disagree with your Se inferior projection...I generally see it in more positive terms which might be the problem. I agree with Athenian200 that the Ne projection is more of what I feel that or the Ti projection of EFJs.

VagrantFarce

I think I need to disagree with your Se inferior projection...I generally see it in more positive terms which might be the problem. I agree with Athenian200 that the Ne projection is more of what I feel that or the Ti projection of EFJs.

To be fair, these quotes attempt to explain why someone would reject their inferior function. According to the theory a healthy and mature type wouldn't be so dismisive. :)

bornslippy

"I don't have to persue my inferior function, look at what it does to the world..."

ETJ (fi) "...people are so unwilling to take charge, too afraid of stepping on someone else's toes just to get something done. I get things done, I have the balls to see how life really works."
ENP (si) "...immobility never lasts, the earth never sits still. If you just sit in one place, how could you possibly go anywhere?"
ESP (ni) "...trying to repress your own instincts only serves to heighten them. why are people so frightened of what's right in front of their nose?"

Reactions ... I agree with these four (as in have them in me I guess), but I can't picture myself coming to the conclusion "why are people so frightened of what's right in front of their nose?" Not to say this doesn't make sense, but it seems a step further than the thought really needs to go, in the ESTP sense at least. As in the reflection on a principle seems out of place; just do it. I picture a wide receiver running up the middle of a football field knowing full well he's going to get hit from behind, very very hard, in the air, by a big burly Ray Lewis "I'm going to eat your children!" type and only caring about catching the ball. For the record, I've done that before and its a lot of fun in the moment -- hit me as hard as your want; I'm catching the ball and putting these point on the board, period. For myself, the hard part is getting out of reflecting mode, deciding which moments to engage with; once I'm engaged everything comes easily (because I'm spending my effort doing vs. humming and hawing about what what option to invest in).

Also, I view your ITP example as a fallacy / self-fulfilling prophecy.

Your ENP example is hilarious to me: first, because I can't imagine being satisfied with limited options, yet exploring so many options paralyzes me and taints what is selected as it could always be better or more perfect. As in watch The Paradox of Choice on TED.com. When I focus on something, "good enough" is hard to accept; however, other areas I am not (currently) focused on are likely in varying levels of disarray.

I certainly agree with ETJ, substituting "people" for "I" as I recognize that I worry far too much about those toes for my own good (as in I assume person X will react this way to reading xyz and thus reword my post or caveat with an "I guess", etc., thus ensuring that that possible harm is avoided, and thus spending 45 minutes analyzing and re-wording, trying to develop versus type out, cursory review, send). The good enough problem again ...

P.S. I wrote this all impulsively, read it over, considered not posting (as in why am I hijacking this thread?), but instead decided to post anyhow in light that maybe you'll find even one nugget amongst this mental diarrhea.

P.P.S. Based on this rambling, my type?

P.P.P.S. The fact that I'm only posting this because I want something from you (guess my type) and my apparent need to be the center of attention makes me ENTP doesn't it? Why then am I so good at stopping myself (in a bad way). As in I regularly type of randomness like this and delete it without posting.

bornslippy

Your imagination takes you places. It is possible to experience things in vivid detail that you've never experienced before. Take pieces from multiple experiences and extrapolate. Of course, you are left with assumptions.

bornslippy

Clearly I have missed the point of your thread but take credence in the fact that your work has proved extremely thought provoking!

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I think this is applicable when it comes to a reason for rejecting the inferior function...as you explain in your later post.

I know I did go through a period when I viewed Se-activities/approaches with more scorn. I thought much of it was pointless, and I scorned the idea of immediate gratification. Perhaps Scorn is how other types would view their inferior's as well?

But yeah, like Keps, I totally have a positive spin on Se as well, and Se is hugely important in my life these days, in terms of keeping a good balance.

(an aside, I also relate to the ITP statement, but that makes total sense since I'm extremely introverted and think I lean more heavily on Ti than Fe)

milkyway2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?

I literally say this all the time.

GirlFromMars

MBTI Type
INFP
"...individuals are so divided and discouraged, for such horrid impersonal reasons. I pay attention to how people feel, and that's more important than anything."

This is totally something I think/say!