First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    A frustrated idealist.

That works.

Seems like you people in the U.K. still speak (or at least write) English similarly enough to communicate effectively with us. That's good.

See? There are some things I like about the world.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFob View Post
    Oh, yes. It can, indeed, have quite a bit to do with disappointment. Cynicism is defined as...

"An attitude of scornful or jaded negativity, especially a general distrust of the integrity or professed motives of others."

If anything, that definition invites the description of a kind of cynicism inspired by disappointment moreso than it does a kind of cynicism caused by some objective, detached disbelief.
    Sounds like :
    One is the "been there, done that (and failed that I guess)" cynicism. The other is the "yeah, right" kind, although that is kinda like skepticism...

MBTI
    INTJ

"An attitude of scornful or jaded negativity, especially a general distrust of the integrity or professed motives of others."
    Hmm. I have experienced this a lot in my life, but I am usually severely depressed at the time (not sure which comes first). I can't live in that frame of mind constantly because it's just too... depressing.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    Sounds like :
    One is the "been there, done that (and failed that I guess)" cynicism. The other is the "yeah, right" kind
    A very concise way of putting it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Oh, yes. It can, indeed, have quite a bit to do with disappointment. Cynicism is defined as...

If anything, that definition invites the description of a kind of cynicism inspired by disappointment moreso than it does a kind of cynicism caused by some objective, detached disbelief.
    Well from my perspective I'm a positive person but I just don't trust the whole "well he's accredited so I believe him" mentality. Hence I'm cynical. I'm not pessimistic, I think you're merging the two somewhere but I can't quite place where... bear with me it may occur later... like next tuesday if I'm on par.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post

That works.

Seems like you people in the U.K. still speak (or at least write) English similarly enough to communicate effectively with us. That's good.

See? There are some things I like about the world.
    Well it has been noted us Brits have a certain dryness. Perhaps you need a boat or a shed load of swimming lessons?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFJ

I think you're merging the two somewhere but I can't quite place where...
    I just think there's more than one kind of cynicism. The kind you refer to would be one, and the other would refer to a kind of cynicism driven by negative emotions such as disappointment, bitterness, etc.

Pessimism is a different thing entirely. It has to do with expectation. It's an attitude where you expect bad events to happen in the future. In other words, it has to do with making predictions about the future.

Cynicism at it's core doesn't have anything to do with predicting the future. It has to do with a negative outlook human nature and life in general. It relates to ideas such as generosity, true love, goodwill, friendship, etc.

It may be possible for cynicism to lead to pessimism, but it's also a state of mind that can exist utterly independent of pessimism.

Remember that definition I quoted earlier? Looking at it closely, it had the word 'scornful' in it. It's just a simple fact that if scornful is included in the definition of cynicism, then it brings an emotional context to it. That's assuming that the definition is accurate though.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I just think there's more than one kind of cynicism. The kind you refer to would be one, and the other would refer to a kind of cynicism driven by negative emotions such as disappointment, bitterness, etc.

Pessimism is a different thing entirely. It has to do with expectation. It's an attitude where you expect bad events to happen in the future. In other words, it has to do with making predictions about the future.

Cynicism at it's core doesn't have anything to do with predicting the future. It has to do with a negative outlook human nature and life in general. It relates to ideas such as generosity, true love, goodwill, friendship, etc.

It may be possible for cynicism to lead to pessimism, but it's also a state of mind that can exist utterly independent of pessimism.

Remember that definition I quoted earlier? Looking at it closely, it had the word 'scornful' in it. It's just a simple fact that if scornful is included in the definition of cynicism, then it brings an emotional context to it. That's assuming that the definition is accurate though.
    Oh cynicism isn't without emotion but then no T is either. It's the emotional reaction to the result thrown out by the brain that causes the whole cynicism.

I think I've found the crux of where I draw the difference, indulge me please it's liable to be rough.

Cynicism is independent of experience in essence (the classic example).
    Angry cynicism like you describe would be a reaction to prior experience.

That's why I see the whole angry cynicism as more pessimistic because it's bringing negativity in where as pessimism is searching for existing negatives.

Does that make more sense?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFJ

Does that make more sense?
    I see what you're getting at. I think disagreement comes over the fact that we have differing definitions of cynicism.

MBTI
    INFJ

Actually, a quick look at the dictionary shows that I made a mistake earlier in defining pessimism...

pessimism is searching for existing negatives.
    That looks like a more accurate definition than what I said earlier. Apparently, pessimism doesn't always have to do with predicting the future. So, it looks like Xander is onto something.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

i think Fi can be quite cynical

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.."
    -Oscar Wilde