User Tag List

123 Last

Default The Abuse of Power

MBTI is a bogus personality test foisted by the military on those under their command, I repeat, under their command, during and since WW II.

And MBTI is a bogus personality test foisted by business on their employees, I repeat, on their employees, for about the same period of time.

And MBTI is a bogus personality test foisted on school children by the middle aged.

In each case those with power are foisting a bogus personality test on those without power, and in the case of the military, on those under their command.

But those in power have a duty of care to the vulnerable. But rather than exercising their duty of care they use their power to take advantage of the vulnerable.

This is called the abuse of power.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3&7

Just because something is used to hold power over another doesn't mean in itself it is bogus. That is a basic logical fallacy.

People abuse power - people want to control others for a whole variety of reasons and motivations. They will use any means at their disposal - and I mean ANY. They will use personal traits from violence to sexiness; they will use tools from guns to push-up bras; they will use tactics from aggression to plotting and they will use the environment from incarceration to exile.

Anything can be used by those who seek to have and hold power over others.

MBTI is simply a tool - obviously limited and flawed in some ways, but that does not make it 'bogus'.

MBTI
    TOTO

MBTI is inherently flawed and completely bogus.

Quote Originally Posted by Falling Snow View Post
    Just because something is used to hold power over another doesn't mean in itself it is bogus. That is a basic logical fallacy.

People abuse power - people want to control others for a whole variety of reasons and motivations. They will use any means at their disposal - and I mean ANY. They will use personal traits from violence to sexiness; they will use tools from guns to push-up bras; they will use tactics from aggression to plotting and they will use the environment from incarceration to exile.

Anything can be used by those who seek to have and hold power over others.

MBTI is simply a tool - obviously limited and flawed in some ways, but that does not make it 'bogus'.
    It's nice to reply to your first post.

However MBTI claims to be a valid an reliable personality test. However any Psychology Department in an accredited University will tell you MBTI is an invalid and unreliable personality test.

They will also direct you to valid and reliable personality tests. And will point out to you that they only remain valid and reliable if they are administered by an independent qualified psychometrician.

So MBTI is not only a bogus personality test but the very way it is used makes it simply nonsense.

But it becomes sinister when you realise it is used by those in power against the vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by slant View Post

Yep.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    They will also direct you to valid and reliable personality tests. And will point out to you that they only remain valid and reliable if they are administered by an independent qualified psychometrician.
    What are the more reliable personality tests?

But it becomes sinister when you realise it is used by those in power against the vulnerable.
    What do you mean with this statement? Who are the vulnerable? Do you mean those under the power of another? I probably agree with your basic sentiment here, but could use clarification.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3&7

It's nice to reply to your first post.

However MBTI claims to be a valid an reliable personality test. However any Psychology Department in an accredited University will tell you MBTI is an invalid and unreliable personality test.

So MBTI is not only a bogus personality test but the very way it is used makes it simply nonsense.

The idea that something is given credence or not because of what Psychology professors say is laughable - psychology is the great pseudoscience of the disciplines. I don't agree that MBTI claims to be reliable - there are psychologists. coaches, etc who claim that but it is always wise to approach such claim critically - but simply to claim it is 'bogus' is just as uncritical as to say it is 'reliable'. Where human subjects are concerned, reliability is always limited whatever test, strategy or assessment is concerned.

I am not defending MBTI as universally credible and actually the term 'personality' is mistakenly applied here because it is more usefully understood in terms of preference - and 'temperament' is quite different to personality.

I repeat myself - it's people who are sinister - psychology, psychotherapy, religion etc are all systems popularly abused by people who wish to have power over others. Far more soldiers are manipulated by Jesus or Mohammed than by MBTI I suspect.

I think the danger of getting interested in MBTI is when you imagine that the categories are universally similar - a short spell on one of the type-specific forums should dispell that illusion - however, there are definite 'flavours' which are intriguing (the intp forum and infp forums are a useful comparison to make this point).

I'd love to see a reliable and valid 'personality test' - can you tell me one?

deleted

MBTI is a helpful tool for me, thus not bogus. It's not any sort of ultimatum on typology. Maybe that's what you're looking for.

MBTI is a bogus personality test foisted by the military on those under their command, I repeat, under their command, during and since WW II.

And MBTI is a bogus personality test foisted by business on their employees, I repeat, on their employees, for about the same period of time.

And MBTI is a bogus personality test foisted on school children by the middle aged.

In each case those with power are foisting a bogus personality test on those without power, and in the case of the military, on those under their command.

But those in power have a duty of care to the vulnerable. But rather than exercising their duty of care they use their power to take advantage of the vulnerable.

This is called the abuse of power.
    thanks for the tip, bro

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by slant View Post
    It is not, flawed does not mean it has no truths. Define completely bogus. Its not my fault if you dont know how to apply it yet.

I explained it to my mom as not the thought, but the thought process.