User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 42

  1. #11
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    I get that you think you're doing the right thing Victor, but people just dismiss what you say since you have an attitude of extreme condescension.

    You seem to think that every cog in a system has the same motivation. Yes, most of the time, the cogs at the top are incentivized to maintain their power and gain more. But that doesn't mean the cogs below them have anything like the same motivations.

    How would it benefit those at the top of the military to use MBTI tests on soldiers? I really don't understand. Just sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.

    Anyway, I've already explained my view of MBTI to you (just a set of descriptive verbal shortcuts, not prescriptive at all), and don't see how it falls prey to any of the arguments you've made. You seem to assume that no one except you is capable of thinking for themselves or thinking critically. And because of that assumption, your audience turns away from you and writes you off as a condescending asshole.

    So, look...I get that you think you're doing the right thing. Spreading the word of truth, etc. But wouldn't it be more efficient to come down off your high ground and interacted with the points people are making? At least then you'll show people you make an effort to understand them.

  2. #12
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    How would it benefit those at the top of the military to use MBTI tests on soldiers?
    Psychologically it is hard to kill living human beings. That is why the military goes to a great deal of psychological trouble to reify the enemy. That is, the military turns living human beings into things so that they may be more easily killed.

    And the best way to reify the enemy is to first reify your own people. For when they start to think of themselves as things, it is a very short step to thinking of the enemy as things.

    And the very purpose of MBTI is to reify. It was created to induct women into the war machine during WW II. And so, as you notice, it appeals to women just as astrology does. And in helping women to reify themselves and others it, gives women a false sense of agency and power. MBTI is highly seductive - and it works.

    MBTI was the original empowerment of women - taking them out of the home and into the war machine.

    And today MBTI makes us cogs, not only in the war machine, but in business as well.

    And all these school girls and school boys, still emotionally and financially dependent on their parents, taking MBTI in like mother's milk.

  3. #13
    Senior Member tinkerbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

    This is called the abuse of power.
    I've never been in any environement where I was TOLD I had to do MBTI, I've done the test fully about 6 times... always with a choice to 1. doing it or not, 2. doing it but not sharing it etc

    Legally speaking I don't beleive organisations need to insist on people doing it. Army perhaps

    Wide generalisation there...

  4. #14
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    I've never been in any environement where I was TOLD I had to do MBTI, I've done the test fully about 6 times... always with a choice to 1. doing it or not, 2. doing it but not sharing it etc

    Legally speaking I don't beleive organisations need to insist on people doing it. Army perhaps

    Wide generalisation there...
    Look Tink, I don't think there is any chance the military will abandon MBTI. But I do think that if you and I bury our differences, we can improve the situation 100%.

    We can improve the situation simply by persuading the military to include astrology and Wind in the Willows along with MBTI.

    In this way we can save face all the way round. The military saves face over MBTI. And you and I save face over astrology and Wind in the Willows.

    And Mr Badger is content that we have all adopted his superb solution.

  5. #15
    Junior Member Falling Snow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3&7
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

    It was created to induct women into the war machine during WW II. And so, as you notice, it appeals to women just as astrology does. And in helping women to reify themselves and others it, gives women a false sense of agency and power. MBTI is highly seductive - and it works.
    .
    Could you please provide some evidence to back up these claims - it sounds very interesting and I'd like to explore that further.

    Thanks

  6. #16
    HAHHAHHAH! INTJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP
    Posts
    777

    Default

    well then, we must crush the military, government, and corporations so we can use mbti for peace.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Bushranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Let me just say that I once applied to the military. They rejected me on the basis that my personality was not a good fit.
    I have no idea what tests they used, it was a long time ago now. I'll say this: In hindsight, they were right to reject me, I'm glad they did.
    I would have hated the military.
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little hermit crab too!

  8. #18
    Junior Member Falling Snow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3&7
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushranger View Post
    Let me just say that I once applied to the military. They rejected me on the basis that my personality was not a good fit.
    I have no idea what tests they used, it was a long time ago now. I'll say this: In hindsight, they were right to reject me, I'm glad they did.
    I would have hated the military.
    I assume that being INTP you would have questioned every decision, thought for yourself and seen the illogic of war. I wonder if INTPs are automatically discarded by the military ... hmm

    What type is the ideal soldier?

  9. #19
    Senior Member Bushranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Falling Snow View Post
    I assume that being INTP you would have questioned every decision, thought for yourself and seen the illogic of war. I wonder if INTPs are automatically discarded by the military ... hmm

    What type is the ideal soldier?
    I think the tests in question were looking for more specific traits than MBTI gives. But yes I think a few of my personal traits that commonly fall into the INTP profile, were the reason for the rejection.

    I'm not sure what they considered to be the perfect soldier. Every military defines its own mandate, and it is largely a function of the type of people that are in charge.
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little hermit crab too!

  10. #20
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default Enchantment

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    well then, we must crush the military, government, and corporations so we can use mbti for peace.
    Mate, mate - we gotta be reading from the same page. So I'll tell ya what we're up to and indeed what principle we will invoke.

    And the principle we will call on is simply, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em".

    So we have decided to join MBTI with our own magic, namely astrology and, "Wind in the Willows".

    There are some who claim this is a, "Wind in the Willows", takeover. But nothing could be farther from the truth.

    For Badger has pointed out to us all in no uncertain terms that we all need to work together. And as unpalatable as that may be for some, we remember it is for the common good.

    And indeed it was Mole himself who said that magic cannot cancel out magic. So he said, stroking his whiskers, why don't we add magic to magic and then we will get triple magic - MBTI, astrology and, "Wind in the Willows', all dancing in the magic circle together.

    So rather than crushing them, we have decided to enchant them.

Similar Threads

  1. If You Oppose The Electoral College, Then You Support The Abuse Of Minorities
    By Mal12345 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-14-2016, 09:11 PM
  2. The Limitation of Power
    By Mole in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-16-2013, 10:49 PM
  3. The Ego Shattering Power of Sexuality
    By Mole in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 07-21-2008, 05:36 PM
  4. The Logic of Power
    By ygolo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-20-2008, 01:12 AM
  5. The Political Economy of Power
    By reason in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-02-2008, 10:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO