• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Shall We Lay The Joke Aside?

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
Ok, so everytime a thread pops up asking about somebody's type, somebody's bound to go: "SLUT" or "SEXY" or "IDIOT" etc.

It's getting a bit old, people, yes?

- my type is undoubtably PRUDE.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Ok, so everytime a thread pops up asking about somebody's type, somebody's bound to go: "SLUT" or "SEXY" or "IDIOT" etc.

I too find the joke old, but Blackwater, what's the harm? Are you currently allergic to otiose Ne? ;)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I too find the joke old, but Blackwater, what's the harm? Are you currently allergic to otiose Ne? ;)

That is NOT Ne. That is an insult to all that is Ne. It's like people who add things like "yes, I'm being sarcastic" after things like descriptions of ugly photos that say "this is a great photo". It's people who treat their audience as though they were as slow as they are; people who think that a thing being new to them makes it new to the world. Bit like a teenager advertising how much 'pain' they're in all the time, thinking it'll impress people or inspire sympathy or respect, just because it's a new concept to them now that they've started to experience a bit of life... heh.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
That is an insult to all that is Ne. It's like people who add things like "yes, I'm being sarcastic" after things like descriptions of ugly photos that say "this is a great photo".

You obviously have never come across people who are incapable of catching sarcasm. I have. That is why I would post something like that. A difference in communication style does not equate to being "slow."

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I don't like that either. People should limit themselves to MBTI types for a response, because that was the intent of the question, and they can add a joke after it, but not instead of it. But it's not like there's anything we can do about it... is there?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I guess we could report the post so it could get deleted, but admin would have to be interested in enforcing the rule.
How frequently does it happen? I've never seen it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, we're not interested in deleting people's posts that don't happen to be funny... (To start with, where do you draw the line?)

Responsible self-moderation and group feedback (kindly, via PM) really is the key if something bothers you.

EDIT: In support of the private initiative, I've changed my profile type again. :D

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't like that either. People should limit themselves to MBTI types for a response, because that was the intent of the question, and they can add a joke after it, but not instead of it. But it's not like there's anything we can do about it... is there?

I guess we could report the post so it could get deleted, but admin would have to be interested in enforcing the rule.
How frequently does it happen? I've never seen it.

Really? I mean, really?

I suggest rolling your eyes and scrolling past it. :)

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4

Really? I haven't seen any such thing! :shock: I guess I must have scrolled past it. :rolleyes:

I have been tempted however to respond to the "What exercises do you do" thread by suggesting Kegels. I believe it is important for women to strengthen their pelvic floor. I'm sure Husband units would agree! :yes:

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
You obviously have never come across people who are incapable of catching sarcasm. I have. That is why I would post something like that. A difference in communication style does not equate to being "slow."

Yeh, I was only kidding for starters, but really, the people who wouldn't catch the sarcasm on their own then I wouldn't bother using it with them. But I guess I don't often come across those kinds of people, living in England as I do ;)

See, I didn't write "only kidding" at the bottom of that post and I won't at the end of this one either, cos I kinda figure that the people who are on my wavelength will get that anyway, and the ones who aren't... well. They either will eventually, or whatever, but it sorta kills the whole tone of something, the atmosphere of something if you then have to add things like that at the end. Part of the fun is just leaving it like that to see who gets it, taking the risk of the backlash from the ones who don't, and the wry smiles and eye contacts between the ones who do while the ones who don't are ranting about what they think you just said-and-meant. See? :)

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Similar to the other ENTP's posting in this thread, I find that I am also a comedy snob.

:D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
See, I didn't write "only kidding" at the bottom of that post and I won't at the end of this one either, cos I kinda figure that the people who are on my wavelength will get that anyway, and the ones who aren't... well. They either will eventually, or whatever, but it sorta kills the whole tone of something, the atmosphere of something if you then have to add things like that at the end. Part of the fun is just leaving it like that to see who gets it, taking the risk of the backlash from the ones who don't, and the wry smiles and eye contacts between the ones who do while the ones who don't are ranting about what they think you just said-and-meant. See? :)

Yup. It totally kills the joke to have to explain it, or deaden it, or undermine it, or apologize for it. If the joke is to be made, it just has to be thrown out there. (No comedian makes jokes, then apologizes or explains after telling it.)

I'll temper it occasionally now if I know that many people don't "know me" and thus won't know how to read something I straight-faced... but even now I'm prone to let it go and see what happens.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Yup. It totally kills the joke to have to explain it, or deaden it, or undermine it, or apologize for it. If the joke is to be made, it just has to be thrown out there. (No comedian makes jokes, then apologizes or explains after telling it.)

I'll temper it occasionally now if I know that many people don't "know me" and thus won't know how to read something I straight-faced... but even now I'm prone to let it go and see what happens.

Stop joshing around. Sheesh :rolli: