• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can this be the reason why Ns think that sensors are "stupid" ?

tetsuwanatom

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
PREFERENCE

1. Election.
2. Liking
3. Priority

prae: in front
ferre: carry, set.

Adjacent to bear
Related to ferry

To bear a child
Bear: born

Ferry of faran: to go

GO

bear
approve
accept

NOT GO

untolerate
unaccept
refuse

REFUSE

garbage
trash
dross
dregs
scum

An ESTJ said to me: Get out of my house. Never come here again.
I said: Why?

He said: Because you are scum!

this post reminds me why this thread exists:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nt-rationale/19143-how-seduce-intp.html

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As many Ns here have said themselves, Ss often think Ns are stupid. Plenty of daily situations could illustrate this, at a job, at school, in a busy store, wherever.

So each may tend to think the other is stupid, because they do not understand the other's accustomed way of thinking.

Antisocial One, in your original post, do you mean Ns are comparing their own limited (shallow) use of their S-function with Sensors' more familiar use of the S-function?

saxman

MBTI Type
INFP
S or N is a PREFERENCE.
It does not reflect skill or ability.

That really sums it up best. There seems to be a lot of confusion that people are Sensors or Feelers or Introverts. I/E/S/N/F/T/P/J are just different aspects of the brain that are used to process information and make decisions. A healthy person will use and develop all of these.

This is why I think personality tests aren't always accurate, as people will answer with behaviors they either desire or have learned.

I consider temperament as a way to tune the brain, just like you would tune a car for speed, gas millage, safety, or cost. For example, if you raise the level of intuition, the person is able to see more possibilities, but it takes them longer to react because there is more to consider.

So if a role requires information to be processed very quickly, someone strong in sensing would be a better fit, as you don't want someone spending a lot of time thinking through the possibilities or long term benefits.

However, if the role requires creative problem solving, and rate of processing is not important, then someone with a high level of intuitive ability would probably be a better choice.

lost verses

MBTI Type
AHH!
Ss often think Ns are stupid.

Now that's hilarious.

Lets just leave it at, everybody can be intelegent, curious, annoying and fun to be around. Everybody just has a different way of expressing those things.

We're all "intelegent," you say? Well, apparently not all of us heh.

(Sorry couldn't resist.)

Jaguar

That really sums it up best. There seems to be a lot of confusion that people are Sensors or Feelers or Introverts. I/E/S/N/F/T/P/J are just different aspects of the brain that are used to process information and make decisions. A healthy person will use and develop all of these.

This is why I think personality tests aren't always accurate, as people will answer with behaviors they either desire or have learned.

I consider temperament as a way to tune the brain, just like you would tune a car for speed, gas millage, safety, or cost. For example, if you raise the level of intuition, the person is able to see more possibilities, but it takes them longer to react because there is more to consider.

So if a role requires information to be processed very quickly, someone strong in sensing would be a better fit, as you don't want someone spending a lot of time thinking through the possibilities or long term benefits.

However, if the role requires creative problem solving, and rate of processing is not important, then someone with a high level of intuitive ability would probably be a better choice.

Your thinking is very fluid.
It was a pleasure reading it.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
So when a strong N comes into this world everything seems so simple but extremly limited. What means that sensors are narrow minded for the most part since they live like this through most of their lifes.

The equivalent seems like a Sensor saying; "whenever I use my imagination it's boring and nothing good comes of it, therefore Ns are boring and nothing good comes from using N". In both cases the N and the S are just highlighting their own bias and inability to experience (or even consider) the potential of the other kind of perception.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
In both cases the N and the S are just highlighting their own bias and inability to experience (or even consider) the potential of the other kind of perception.

As far as I know I never claimed that this is not the case.

Antisocial One, in your original post, do you mean Ns are comparing their own limited (shallow) use of their S-function with Sensors' more familiar use of the S-function?

Yes, but that is not the only thing I am saying. I am also saying that Ns tend to think that you have a "simplier existance". (What is not necessarily a bad thing. )

But in the world of N "simple" is usually equivalent of terms like stupid or boring.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

A good post.
We draw conclusions- off the hat.
Impression (how things appear to us) is revered like science.
This is why many children appear stupid in the classroom, although they are not.
A teacher follows her own preference and she creates an atmosphere that suits her preference.
You can see this thing taking place also in the social context.

It can be very annoying to the student or to the conversation partner.
Also, you undeservedly get lousy grades.
It goes both ways, of course.

They say the N always shine in the academia. It is often the other way around.
Einstein hard a hard time during the elementary school and later, in the college.
He got mediocre grades. His dissertation work was ill received.
He had a low job in a patent office.

A magazine found him later.
What if the editor-in-chief of the magazine had not been of the type of Albert?
It might well be the name Einstein would say us nothing today.
Or the place names Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Mendel was a humbly monk. He wrote to Darwin but Darwin did not reply.
He was only accidentally found later.

What about Bach? He walked an entire day, in the rain, to see Haendel.
Haendel did not receive him. Who is Bach?

We despise the paupers in the street. We know nothing about them.
Impression is not everything.

tetsuwanatom

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
A good post.
This is why many children appear stupid in the classroom, although they are not.
A teacher follows her own preference and she creates an atmosphere that suits her preference.

Einstein hard a hard time during the elementary school and later, in the college.

: ) I understand this more.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Living in the moment is the easiest way to get rid of all your stress.
rather than creating 100,000 issue in your head.

anyway this living in the moment is not exactly a S thing. they don't entirely live in the present moment.

I live pretty much totally in the moment, with only vague awareness of past and future. They 'exist' and have their reasons for existing, but generally are not nearly as interesting as whot's going on RIGHT NOW.

That being said, there's many TYPES of N, not 'just' N vs S. One simple way to break it down is just Ne/Ni/Se/Si, but other functions can influence those as well, and then there's personal experiences, motivations, etc, many other things that can affect how yeu think/react/feel.

However... there is a bit of a divide as well. In most cases, S's tend to rely on raw hard evidence, physically present stuff, just deal with things in the terms of concrete proof. If they can't see it, if they can't touch it, manipulate or affect it, if it is abstract or requires dealing with something intangible, it makes it very difficult for them to relate to it.

Not that they *CAN'T* or anything, it's just not their natural form of thought; they can do so, but it won't be something they do without some degree of effort.

It's like N's, if yeu give them just a list of raw data and information, it doesn't do much for them usually. They'd rather see the concepts than the raw materials that the concepts are made from. Understand the idea behind the written theory more than understand the numbers that prove the theory.

These mindsets are just preferances though, both have the capacity to do the other, it's just one will be a predominant method of how it more easily comes to yeu, and how yeu feel more comfortable thinking about it.

That being said, N's generally will be a bit more interested in fantasy, theory, and other intangible things which may not even have any direct application on the real world. S's may often find this irritating that an N just can't seem to be 'down to earth' enough for them at times. While an N may be 'down to earth' in their own mind, their lack of physical attachments to it makes it hard for the S to comprehend or value such.

In any case, both can get along just fine, and often do. The biggest clash is just the whole theory vs practice thing is all; give an N a theory, they can enjoy considering theories without evidence to back them up, the whole "whot if...?" scenario of thinking. The S will generally try to apply the theory they have, if they can't find a way to relate it to reality, they get bored of it. This's where most of the "gah yeu're boring!" comes from, because the S won't see much reason to pursue bizzare lines of reasoning in most cases. Some will, but most will tire of it too quickly for the N's tastes, and be branded 'dull' due to lack of exploration in the N's mind.

That's probably the biggest difference though really... N's explore with their mind, S's explore with their body. New thoughts and ideas, vs new sensations.

To the one who suggested N's never taste ice cream? Hardly, I loves ice cream... but I have a few flavours I've found I prefer and mostly stick to those. An S may be far more willing to try out every sensory flavour they can test to see if something better is out there; I'm more likely to remain content that I absolutely LOVES cotton candy ice cream XD On the other hand, I loves exploring possibilities, even really bizzare or unlikely ones with no practical application, whereas an S would prefer to just stick to the things they know work, and will tend to stray only if they see cause or evidence to suggest there's value in doing so, and won't explore a concept for exploration's sake.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong, who knows XD

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
Either everybody is stupid, or nobody is stupid, that is the question!

Besides that, the term stupid is being used in the wrong context here, you people should be saying "inexperienced", considering we are all talking about S and N preference... Meh,... Maybe I'm just being "stupid"!

Jaguar

A good post.

Your post was great, until your final comment.
Maybe you despise the paupers in the street.
Some of us do not.
We help them.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Your post was great, until your final comment.
Maybe you despise the paupers in the street.
Some of us do not.
We help them.

I believe he meant "we" as in typical people.

Acknowledging that the average person looks down on them, isn't the same as saying that I personally look down on them.

Personally, I neither help them nor look down on them. I see them, and think "this is an indication of social problems the government needs to address. These people shouldn't be stuck in this situation, it does no one any good for them to be."

Jaguar

I believe he meant "we" as in typical people.

Acknowledging that the average person looks down on them, isn't the same as saying that I personally look down on them.

You both must live in a different world than I do.
I don't agree with your statement either.
In the world I know, the "average" person does not look down on the pauper.

That's cynical horse crap.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You both must live in a different world than I do.
I don't agree with your statement either.
In the world I know, the "average" person does not look down on the pauper.

That's cynical horse crap.

Perhaps it is. But I can honestly I tell you I've heard things like, "Why don't those lazy bums find a job? What's their problem?" And it really pisses me off when I hear it, too, because I think to myself, "Well, they probably ARE, but they don't hire unwashed people with no permanent address. And they're probably too focused on where their next meal is coming from, or where they're going to sleep tonight to focus adequately on getting out of their situation. And have you HEARD about the unemployment rate?"

Perhaps most people don't think that, but enough of them do to make cynicism about people's lack of compassion/understanding easy to develop. :(

Jaguar

Perhaps it is. But I can honestly I tell you've heard things like, "Why don't those lazy bums find a job? What's their problem?" And it really pisses me off when I hear it, too, because I think to myself, "Well, they probably ARE, but a lot of people don't want to hire unwashed people with no permanent address. And have you HEARD about the unemployment rate?"

Perhaps most people don't think that, but enough of them do to make cynicism about people's lack of compassion/understanding easy to develop. :(

So if you hear a few people say that about a pauper, ALL people are saying it. :rolli:

Cynicism is your choice.
If you want the world to change, it has to start with you.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Dude, Jaguar, anytime someone makes a generalization, that's just it--a generalization. Surely, you should be intelligent enough to realize this and realize that the collective we cannot possibly contain every individuals thoughts, actions, or motivations.

The thing I enjoyed the most about this thread was the bickering about nothing, which most everybody agrees on fundamentally. Ah, the beauty of semantics.

Jaguar

Dude, Jaguar, anytime someone makes a generalization, that's just it--a generalization. Surely, you should be intelligent enough to realize this and realize that the collective we cannot possibly contain every individuals thoughts, actions, or motivations.

The thing I enjoyed the most about this thread was the bickering about nothing, which most everybody agrees on fundamentally. Ah, the beauty of semantics.

Ti vs. Te.

It's that simple.