User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    A good post.
    We draw conclusions- off the hat.
    Impression (how things appear to us) is revered like science.
    This is why many children appear stupid in the classroom, although they are not.
    A teacher follows her own preference and she creates an atmosphere that suits her preference.
    You can see this thing taking place also in the social context.

It can be very annoying to the student or to the conversation partner.
    Also, you undeservedly get lousy grades.
    It goes both ways, of course.

They say the N always shine in the academia. It is often the other way around.
    Einstein hard a hard time during the elementary school and later, in the college.
    He got mediocre grades. His dissertation work was ill received.
    He had a low job in a patent office.

A magazine found him later.
    What if the editor-in-chief of the magazine had not been of the type of Albert?
    It might well be the name Einstein would say us nothing today.
    Or the place names Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Mendel was a humbly monk. He wrote to Darwin but Darwin did not reply.
    He was only accidentally found later.

What about Bach? He walked an entire day, in the rain, to see Haendel.
    Haendel did not receive him. Who is Bach?

We despise the paupers in the street. We know nothing about them.
    Impression is not everything.
    : ) I understand this more.
    [Kierkegaard: either/or] At the moment of choice, he is at the point of consummation, for his personality is consummating itself, and yet at the same moment he is at the very beginning, because he is choosing himself according to his freedom. As a product he is squeezed into the forms of actuality; in the choice he makes himself elastic, transforms everything exterior into interiority. He has his place in the world; in freedom he chooses his place---that is, he chooses this place

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    Living in the moment is the easiest way to get rid of all your stress.
    rather than creating 100,000 issue in your head.

anyway this living in the moment is not exactly a S thing. they don't entirely live in the present moment.
    I live pretty much totally in the moment, with only vague awareness of past and future. They 'exist' and have their reasons for existing, but generally are not nearly as interesting as whot's going on RIGHT NOW.

That being said, there's many TYPES of N, not 'just' N vs S. One simple way to break it down is just Ne/Ni/Se/Si, but other functions can influence those as well, and then there's personal experiences, motivations, etc, many other things that can affect how yeu think/react/feel.

However... there is a bit of a divide as well. In most cases, S's tend to rely on raw hard evidence, physically present stuff, just deal with things in the terms of concrete proof. If they can't see it, if they can't touch it, manipulate or affect it, if it is abstract or requires dealing with something intangible, it makes it very difficult for them to relate to it.

Not that they *CAN'T* or anything, it's just not their natural form of thought; they can do so, but it won't be something they do without some degree of effort.

It's like N's, if yeu give them just a list of raw data and information, it doesn't do much for them usually. They'd rather see the concepts than the raw materials that the concepts are made from. Understand the idea behind the written theory more than understand the numbers that prove the theory.

These mindsets are just preferances though, both have the capacity to do the other, it's just one will be a predominant method of how it more easily comes to yeu, and how yeu feel more comfortable thinking about it.

That being said, N's generally will be a bit more interested in fantasy, theory, and other intangible things which may not even have any direct application on the real world. S's may often find this irritating that an N just can't seem to be 'down to earth' enough for them at times. While an N may be 'down to earth' in their own mind, their lack of physical attachments to it makes it hard for the S to comprehend or value such.

In any case, both can get along just fine, and often do. The biggest clash is just the whole theory vs practice thing is all; give an N a theory, they can enjoy considering theories without evidence to back them up, the whole "whot if...?" scenario of thinking. The S will generally try to apply the theory they have, if they can't find a way to relate it to reality, they get bored of it. This's where most of the "gah yeu're boring!" comes from, because the S won't see much reason to pursue bizzare lines of reasoning in most cases. Some will, but most will tire of it too quickly for the N's tastes, and be branded 'dull' due to lack of exploration in the N's mind.

That's probably the biggest difference though really... N's explore with their mind, S's explore with their body. New thoughts and ideas, vs new sensations.

To the one who suggested N's never taste ice cream? Hardly, I loves ice cream... but I have a few flavours I've found I prefer and mostly stick to those. An S may be far more willing to try out every sensory flavour they can test to see if something better is out there; I'm more likely to remain content that I absolutely LOVES cotton candy ice cream XD On the other hand, I loves exploring possibilities, even really bizzare or unlikely ones with no practical application, whereas an S would prefer to just stick to the things they know work, and will tend to stray only if they see cause or evidence to suggest there's value in doing so, and won't explore a concept for exploration's sake.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong, who knows XD

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Either everybody is stupid, or nobody is stupid, that is the question!

Besides that, the term stupid is being used in the wrong context here, you people should be saying "inexperienced", considering we are all talking about S and N preference... Meh,... Maybe I'm just being "stupid"!
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    A good post.
    We draw conclusions- off the hat.
    Impression (how things appear to us) is revered like science.
    This is why many children appear stupid in the classroom, although they are not.
    A teacher follows her own preference and she creates an atmosphere that suits her preference.
    You can see this thing taking place also in the social context.

It can be very annoying to the student or to the conversation partner.
    Also, you undeservedly get lousy grades.
    It goes both ways, of course.

They say the N always shine in the academia. It is often the other way around.
    Einstein hard a hard time during the elementary school and later, in the college.
    He got mediocre grades. His dissertation work was ill received.
    He had a low job in a patent office.

A magazine found him later.
    What if the editor-in-chief of the magazine had not been of the type of Albert?
    It might well be the name Einstein would say us nothing today.
    Or the place names Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Mendel was a humbly monk. He wrote to Darwin but Darwin did not reply.
    He was only accidentally found later.

What about Bach? He walked an entire day, in the rain, to see Haendel.
    Haendel did not receive him. Who is Bach?

We despise the paupers in the street. We know nothing about them.
    Impression is not everything.
    Your post was great, until your final comment.
    Maybe you despise the paupers in the street.
    Some of us do not.
    We help them.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Your post was great, until your final comment.
    Maybe you despise the paupers in the street.
    Some of us do not.
    We help them.
    I believe he meant "we" as in typical people.

Acknowledging that the average person looks down on them, isn't the same as saying that I personally look down on them.

Personally, I neither help them nor look down on them. I see them, and think "this is an indication of social problems the government needs to address. These people shouldn't be stuck in this situation, it does no one any good for them to be."

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I believe he meant "we" as in typical people.

Acknowledging that the average person looks down on them, isn't the same as saying that I personally look down on them.
    You both must live in a different world than I do.
    I don't agree with your statement either.
    In the world I know, the "average" person does not look down on the pauper.

That's cynical horse crap.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    You both must live in a different world than I do.
    I don't agree with your statement either.
    In the world I know, the "average" person does not look down on the pauper.

That's cynical horse crap.
    Perhaps it is. But I can honestly I tell you I've heard things like, "Why don't those lazy bums find a job? What's their problem?" And it really pisses me off when I hear it, too, because I think to myself, "Well, they probably ARE, but they don't hire unwashed people with no permanent address. And they're probably too focused on where their next meal is coming from, or where they're going to sleep tonight to focus adequately on getting out of their situation. And have you HEARD about the unemployment rate?"

Perhaps most people don't think that, but enough of them do to make cynicism about people's lack of compassion/understanding easy to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Perhaps it is. But I can honestly I tell you've heard things like, "Why don't those lazy bums find a job? What's their problem?" And it really pisses me off when I hear it, too, because I think to myself, "Well, they probably ARE, but a lot of people don't want to hire unwashed people with no permanent address. And have you HEARD about the unemployment rate?"

Perhaps most people don't think that, but enough of them do to make cynicism about people's lack of compassion/understanding easy to develop.
    So if you hear a few people say that about a pauper, ALL people are saying it. :rolli:

Cynicism is your choice.
    If you want the world to change, it has to start with you.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Dude, Jaguar, anytime someone makes a generalization, that's just it--a generalization. Surely, you should be intelligent enough to realize this and realize that the collective we cannot possibly contain every individuals thoughts, actions, or motivations.

The thing I enjoyed the most about this thread was the bickering about nothing, which most everybody agrees on fundamentally. Ah, the beauty of semantics.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    Dude, Jaguar, anytime someone makes a generalization, that's just it--a generalization. Surely, you should be intelligent enough to realize this and realize that the collective we cannot possibly contain every individuals thoughts, actions, or motivations.

The thing I enjoyed the most about this thread was the bickering about nothing, which most everybody agrees on fundamentally. Ah, the beauty of semantics.
    Ti vs. Te.

It's that simple.