• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can this be the reason why Ns think that sensors are "stupid" ?

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Maybe for you, N is a stress reducer. For me, imagining things and scenarios actually makes me more stressed, and makes me feel bad.

N stresses me out also. The imagined possibilities tends to be more negative than positive.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Perhaps most people don't think that, but enough of them do to make cynicism about people's lack of compassion/understanding easy to develop. :(

Personally, I don't think it's very compassionate to say "this is something the government needs to address."

lost verses

MBTI Type
AHH!
You both must live in a different world than I do.
I don't agree with your statement either.
In the world I know, the "average" person does not look down on the pauper.

That's cynical horse crap.

Actually, the average person does. Maybe you haven't talked to republican adults lately? (lol that was just a joke) I don't know, it's not about personal preference, but what seems to be the general stereotypical opinion of many.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
N stresses me out also. The imagined possibilities tends to be more negative than positive.

Yeah, exactly the same thing with me. I try to stay away from it.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Personally, I don't think it's very compassionate to say "this is something the government needs to address."

What else there to say? The only two options I can think of would be to either criticize their inability to find a job (right-wing), or to acknowledge that something is wrong with society that's causing them to be homeless (left-wing). There are only so many perspectives to take on the problem.

Jaguar

Actually, the average person does. Maybe you haven't talked to republican adults lately? (lol that was just a joke) I don't know, it's not about personal preference, but what seems to be the general stereotypical opinion of many.

If I believed stereotypes, all blacks would be criminals.
Having said that, there are idiots who actually believe that inane drivel.

lost verses

MBTI Type
AHH!
^It's not about whether it's true or not, but about what the stereotype is. That's what the initial statement was about. There's a difference.

lost verses

MBTI Type
AHH!
No, you don't get it. I'm not talking about in terms of life, I'm just talking about the conversation specific to this thread. Don't go all judgemental on me when I'm just talking about the thread.

Jaguar

No, you don't get it. I'm not talking about in terms of life, I'm just talking about the conversation specific to this thread. Don't go all judgemental on me when I'm just talking about the thread.

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
What else there to say? The only two options I can think of would be to either criticize their inability to find a job (right-wing), or to acknowledge that something is wrong with society that's causing them to be homeless (left-wing). There are only so many perspectives to take on the problem.

Um..how about actually trying to help the individual rather than making it into a social commentary opportunity? I just don't get the detached "people are statistics" kind of mentality at all. What good does making a judgement on a person's job-finding ability or moaning about the government do? If you want a situation to change, then you take action. If it's not important enough to you, then you do something else, simple as that.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Ha! I can relate.
If a leaf blows from the trees, I'll visually follow it and wonder where it will eventually go. When the parachute ball of a dandelion floats my way outside, I think about if anyone else has blown it, and who they were. I wonder if they made a wish, and if so, what it was. When I'm sitting outside looking up at the stars, I can't help but to think if anyone else is sitting outside their home, just as I am, looking at the same star, dreaming the same dream.:D

Oh, but I don't reach any type of conclusion that sensors are stupid. Whoa. I love sensors, and admire their ability to not live in their heads so much. We think differently, but I learn a lot from their way of operating in the world.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Ha! I can relate.
If a leaf blows from the trees, I'll visually follow it and wonder where it will eventually go. When the parachute ball of a dandelion floats my way outside, I think about if anyone else has blown it, and who they were. I wonder if they made a wish, and if so, what it was. When I'm sitting outside looking up at the stars, I can't help but to think if anyone else is sitting outside their home, just as I am, looking at the same star, dreaming the same dream.:D

Oh, but I don't reach any type of conclusion that sensors are stupid. Whoa. I love sensors, and admire their ability to not live in their heads so much. We think differently, but I learn a lot from their way of operating in the world.

Interesting. I do the same thing but I don't do it about "whimsical" things. I guess if this is a difference in S and N thought patterns then my baseline thought patterns tend to ere towards sensor.

My exploratory thoughts tend to be grounded in what IS. Someone said something about their thoughts veering into alternate dimensions, dragons, and unicorns I think? I don't do that. If I'm doing some meta-thinking it'll be about about the effects of some abstract or concrete noun. Like I think about the effects of this financial crisis on mental and emotional health, overcrowded VA hospitals, convalescence, being complacent at a job, but it's typically triggered by something firmly rooted and grounded in reality and very often a social issue/problem. I don't even feel like this is really a guessing game of what the future holds, it's just a matter of when not if. I'm not a very whimsical, i.e. Tim Burton-ish thinker.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
It seems I'm late to the ball again.

I'll contribute something small:
The intuitives' motto is "The world is what you make of it, and I make it a lot." :D

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sensors are grounded in experience. We start out in this world not looking into the future, but dissecting what we see around us. Not thinking of the possibilities, but understanding why.

My son saw the TV commercial for six flags and asked me "Daddy, is it true that more flags is more fun?" He wants to understand the rules of the world, his drive is to be able to get things out of this world. He wants to be able to buy toys so he wants to understand how people make money.

S types are thought of as stupid because we dont try to look into the future. We dont guess whats gonna happen and see if we are right, we want to dissect what happened and understand why. The 2 types of understanding is society reasons(Te/Fe), and personal reasons(Ti/Fi). SPs want to understand the personal/individual reasons. SJs wants to understand the societal reasons.

When I'm sitting outside looking up at the stars, I can't help but to think if anyone else is sitting outside their home, just as I am, looking at the same star, dreaming the same dream.:D

2 sensors(me and my son) will end up with my son asking questions about the stars and me trying to explain everything I know about them. His weaker Ne helps him slowly navigate from stars to the Sun, to the moon, to other things that he just keeps asking questions and the conversations move from one thing to another. Its interesting to think how you can have different types sitting under the stars and how the paths of conversations can change.

My exploratory thoughts tend to be grounded in what IS.

I think this has to do with a tertiary Se along with Ni. As opposed to Ne and Si.

Kambro

MBTI Type
INTX
Enneagram
5w6?
True

Ha! I can relate.

I envy them their ability to live in the moment. mind you ISFP's can be bit living in the head as well.

Jaguar

My exploratory thoughts tend to be grounded in what IS. Someone said something about their thoughts veering into alternate dimensions, dragons, and unicorns I think? I don't do that.

Let's put things into perspective:

The person who imagined himself in alternate dimensions is not only in high school,
but not that different from any other imaginative kid.
Kids utilize their imagination much more, and in different ways, than those who are your age or mine.
I can't even imagine basing N or S on what a single person would say, much less a highly imaginative teenager.

With a vivid imagination and a practical application, that kid could accomplish a lot in a creative industry as he gets older.
What comes natural to me is seeing potential, direction, what can be, and what will be.
It all flows.

So if you can't see potential in things or humans, or what "can be," or "will be,"
or even imagine how to improve anything, yes, you might be devoid of any N whatsoever.
I don't buy that about you, though.

I'm sure you could envision and organize a great non-profit organization on your own.

Hint hint. :newwink:

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
N's need to stop stereotyping S's...

Being intuitive does not make you better.

My GF is a pretty strong sensor. She gets flustered by theories...

But she's all heart. She loves people, and is deeply committed to making the world a better place, and will sacrifice her own comfort for this. She completely lacks cyncism. I respect her a lot for this.
We need to start seeing people for who they actually are rather than thinking that MBTI is some kind of endpoint. We should use our instincts to understand people rather than a shortcut like MBTI. It seems to be wrong as often as it's right.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sensors are stupid because they start with the same letter.

N stands for nowledge.