User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which types are the most eccentric?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • ENTJ

    1 2.22%
  • ENTP

    25 55.56%
  • ENFJ

    1 2.22%
  • ENFP

    8 17.78%
  • ESTJ

    0 0%
  • ESTP

    0 0%
  • ESFJ

    0 0%
  • ESFP

    1 2.22%
  • INTJ

    12 26.67%
  • INTP

    21 46.67%
  • INFJ

    7 15.56%
  • INFP

    17 37.78%
  • ISTJ

    0 0%
  • ISTP

    0 0%
  • ISFJ

    0 0%
  • ISFP

    6 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 97

  1. #21
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Why do people want to be seen as eccentric? Or at least want their type to be seen as eccentric.
    All right, I will clarify.

    I do not consider eccentricity in itself to be either a good or a bad thing. Deviating behavior is a priori neutral in my book. The OP asks which type is most prone to eccentricity and I stated my reasons for believing that it is the INTJ.

    I also made jokes about singling my own type out. I did this because proteanmix and I have previously shared our frustration over the tendency of many threads to degenerate into people doing precisely that, but apparently it was too much of an in-joke.

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I didn't mean you, dufus
    Really? That wasn't obvious.

  2. #22
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    proteanmix, you know I'm on your team when it comes to countering S/N bias, but don't you find considerable overlap in the definition of eccentricity and the descriptions of Ni and Ne? I'm inclined to think some measure of eccentricity goes with the territory for Ns while developing decidedly odd behavior takes more for an S and especially an SJ (such as the cognitive dissonance I hypothesize in the thread about the RealDoll guys).

    Regarding the most eccentric type, I'll put my money on INTJ (yes, my own type - sorry about that, proteanmix ). It's the type that combines relative independence of other people (I), self-contained certitude (NJ) and the don't-give-a-damn factor (T).
    ec cen tric
    –adjective
    1. deviating from the recognized or customary character, practice, etc.; irregular; erratic; peculiar; odd: eccentric conduct; an eccentric person.
    6. a person who has an unusual, peculiar, or odd personality, set of beliefs, or behavior pattern.
    7. something that is unusual, peculiar, or odd.

    I think any dominant perceiving type would be more likely to eccentric.

    How are we defining eccentric? What behaviors count as eccentric? Dressing weird? Living on the side of mountain with minimal human contact? I think SPs fit the bill for that and STPs for not caring, especially ISTPs. SPs want freedom to act and they'll go to extreme measures to get the freedom they require, using whatever behaviors they deem necessary to do so. Pushing the envelope for what is acceptable is completely within their domain and I can see SPs acting out if they feel they're being hemmed in. SJs seem to be more likely to hide their eccentricities from the world because they feel ashamed of it. They realize they're not "conforming" but they still do it, just in secret. Just because the eccentricities aren't visible doesn't mean they're not there. In fact, I think SJs would be masters at cultivating surface conformity and they would feel the most cognitive dissonance about their "abnormal" behaviors.

    How do people on this forum view eccentricity? I'm thinking that because so many people here were (are?) viewed as eccentric, weird, strange, erratic, misunderstood, etc. that being eccentric is viewed a positive (which I'm not saying it isn't, just generally saying. It's neutral in my eyes). It seems to me that most people revel in their eccentric status because it's become an ingrained positive personality trait that they need in order to feel good about themselves. It sets them apart and reinforces their views of their individuality which is fine. I like feeling like I have some uniqueness about myself, but the more I talk to people the more I recognize that I'm not all that special and people feel the same ways I do. Quite a blow to the self-esteem.

    And are we talking about "obvious" wacky eccentricity that makes its round at the Oscars as the lovable, heartwarming, feel-good movie of the year peopled with characters who are so goshdarn crazy but well intentioned you can help but to love them? That's so cliche it's not even eccentric! I work with people like that and nobody bats an eye. But I live in a major city so it takes a lot more for me to think something's weird so that could be my perceptions kicking in.

    As far as Ns go, yes I agree intuitive behavior seems superficially more eccentric, and I definitely agree about Ni being weirder, so I'm going with INJs as the weirdest N type. But like I said, I think sensors, especially SJs are more prone to hide their behavior which makes people think they're less eccentric. And less imaginative which I disagree with as well. I know many ISJs that keep the peculiarities of their personalities hidden because they're afraid of what the response for other people will be. So I think that Ns are more likely to let their eccentricities show, not that they're more eccentric.

    So I ask once again for people to look for ways each type manifests eccentricity, not which type is more eccentric. For example, I'm watching that Guys and Dolls video now. The participants are SJs, they give their reasons for wanting a real doll and if you see how they treat them, they do very mundane and regular things. They dress them "normally" in fact I'd say quite conservatively one of them saying that they hate thongs and all things that are overtly sexual. I think members here are discounting the various ways in which eccentricity manifests itself.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

  3. #23
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Yeah, it seems to me like people are competing for "the most blank" trophies on this forum.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

  4. #24
    filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    3,272

    Default

    It's an interesting discussion. My response on thread "ENTP world" ended up in Fluff Zone, but I trust in this point of mine: ENTP may like the appearance of someone dysfunctionally eccentric, while still maintaining the core capabilities with them.

    If there is no "dysfunctional" part in "eccentric", I could agree with them being eccentric.

    But there's another more interesting view, that of INTJ. Now it's interesting to me as 2 of my good friends are INTJ. The other disregards social niceties almost entirely, altho not appearing rude. He just chooses to answer questions when asked, and not to initiate conversation much otherwise. But it's too common for people to not to care about their environment as to judge them as eccentrics because of it. He is such a realist that I'd say he's more of a usual person rather than an eccentric.

    The other one is a bit eccentric, but keeping it cool. He shows belief in what some people might consider conspiracy theories, or just unusual interpretations of the world, which may however be correct. He is light-hearted with the social customs, not being bothered if something is done in the most unusual way (or is this just because he's been so much with me?). He's happy to do unusual things, like when I mentioned some musical comedy from 50's, he re-enacted one performance from there on the street..

  5. #25
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    As far as Ns go, yes I agree intuitive behavior seems superficially more eccentric, and I definitely agree about Ni being weirder, so I'm going with INJs as the weirdest N type. But like I said, I think sensors, especially SJs are more prone to hide their behavior which makes people think they're less eccentric. (...) So I think that Ns are more likely to let their eccentricities show, not that they're more eccentric.
    You don't buy into SJs caring about conformity for its own sake and hence needing more motivation to deviate from the norm (not just in appearance but in actual fact)? (I'm not sure where SPs fit into this.)

  6. #26
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Every introverted function is eccentric.

    Every non-well-defined function is eccentric.

    So, Fi Ti Ni Ne Si are all eccentric functions. The only functions that are not, are Te Fe and Se.

    As far as my experience goes, I have met uneccentric ENTPs and eccentric ISFJs.

  7. #27
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Every introverted function is eccentric.

    Every non-well-defined function is eccentric.

    So, Fi Ti Ni Ne Si are all eccentric functions. The only functions that are not, are Te Fe and Se.

    .
    In that case, would not the most internally focused functions be most eccentric? That'd be Ti and Fi? Ti is more internally focused because it is tough-minded, more intensely aimed at its own direction and less reliant on the human element?

    ISPs are the most eccentric of the sensors and INPs all in all.

    ENPs are less eccentric because their Extroversion ties them to the convention more, and the Extroverted Judgment is stronger. (Third Te/Fe)
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  8. #28
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    BlueWing, I will grant you that you are eccentric.

  9. #29
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    You don't buy into SJs caring about conformity for its own sake and hence needing more motivation to deviate from the norm (not just in appearance but in actual fact)? (I'm not sure where SPs fit into this.)
    SJs value tradition. I think that they value it for it's own sake AND as an ideal. How often do people live up to their ideals? This is why I think they would be the most uncomfortable (esp. ESJs) about the friction between how they want to act and how they should act. The tension between personal happiness and group happiness would be strongest among SJs. I don't think Ns would feel this way because it would be "just who they are." They wouldn't view it as eccentricity, just being natural therefore it's only eccentric to outsiders, not to Ns which is why so many feel misunderstood.

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Every introverted function is eccentric.

    Every non-well-defined function is eccentric.

    So, Fi Ti Ni Ne Si are all eccentric functions. The only functions that are not, are Te Fe and Se.

    As far as my experience goes, I have met uneccentric ENTPs and eccentric ISFJs.
    I quoted FDG because I agree that Te and Fe are the least eccentric functions. I think Se is the one perceiving function that would be the most consciously eccentric.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

  10. #30
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    In that case, would not the most internally focused functions be most eccentric? That'd be Ti and Fi? Ti is more internally focused because it is tough-minded, more intensely aimed at its own direction and less reliant on the human element?
    Possibly so, even though given that my frame of reference is socionics and yours MBTI, we are using a slightly differing meaning of the functions.

Similar Threads

  1. MMORPG's (WoW, Guild Wars, etc.) and MBTI types
    By Maverick in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 09-29-2013, 10:18 AM
  2. Smiling in Pictures and MBTI Type
    By thirtyfour in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 03-08-2011, 11:08 PM
  3. Big 5 and MBTI type
    By Athenian200 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 10-11-2010, 10:14 AM
  4. Interseting website regarding AS/HFA and MBTI
    By MerkW in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-07-2007, 10:48 PM
  5. Risk Tolerance and MBTI
    By proteanmix in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-08-2007, 02:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO