• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The alternative/real function orders

Jaguar

I never said the first two most used functions can't both be introverted or extroverted.

Then you acknowledge all possibilities? If so, that's a welcome surprise.

My approach is exactly like that of Singer and Loomis.
All MBTI assumptions are thrown out, and then test each function with true independence.
An unbiased test will allow a person to answer a question, without it affecting any other component.
That means if someone answers a question indicating a preference for Se,
it will not reduce the score of the person's Ni, at the same time.

Here is one example of a team leader’s type mode profile.
The double-dominant is not a mistake.
This is from the (SL-TDI) Singer and Loomis Type Deployment Inventory:

• Extraverted Sensation Dominant
  • Extraverted Thinking Dominant
  • Extraverted Intuition Auxiliary
  • Introverted Feeling Mid-Mode
  • Introverted Thinking Mid-Mode
  • Introverted Sensing Mid-Mode
  • Extraverted Feeling Least Developed
  • Introverted Intuition Least Developed
Clearly, you can see this demands a complete break with what MBTI has claimed for decades.
Singer and Loomis-both Jungian analysts- not only set out to challenge MBTI, but to also challenge Jung's long-held assumptions.
In the end, they found the majority of the assumptions did not hold up.

My biggest problem with MBTI is simple:
They never ran a check to see if the function orders they claim to be true, are actually true.
People have always just assumed they were true.

The way I define types is to look for the first most used function. The tiebreaker is the first most used opposite direction function of the opposite J/P. For example, if Ti is the most used function, the difference between ISTP and INTP is whether Ne is used more or Se is used more. That doesn't mean some other function can't be used more than both of them.

You are then making an assumption there is only one leading function.
I don't see it that way.
I contend our brain has flexibility and plasticity.
I do not believe we have to lead with one function 100% of the time,
or even the same function 100% of the time.

I will ask you to look back at the Singer-Loomis type profile I posted.
There are two dominant functions listed for that particular person.
Notice I said: "particular."

I refuse to make an all-encompassing claim about ALL human beings. Each person is unique.
I have no problem accepting the possibility that one person could have a SINGLE dominant function,
while another person has more.

No doubt if I reviewed a couple hundred results of the SL-TDI,
I would see a pattern emerge rather quickly: All people would be unique.
And most certainly, there would not be 16 types.
For all I know there are hundreds of thousands of types, just as Singer and Loomis have suggested.

The bottom line for me is: What is possible and what is true.
I'm not looking for a "convenient" result.

I'm going to digress here, and bring up one of your other quotes:

Ne attaches metaphorical meaning to all the information it gets. Ni attaches more meaning to things that are relevant to the current thought process, potentially missing out on assigning meaning to all data.

There are many people who appear to have both Ne and Ni well-developed.
Opinion?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Why do you continually insist that no one except you allows for different possibilities, even after we've explained our positions to you repeatedly and shown that we do?

You can win all the arguments you want when you define your opponents' positions for them...at least in your own mind.

All MBTI assumptions are thrown out, and then test each function with true independence.
An unbiased test will allow a person to answer a question, without it affecting any other component.

You've still done nothing to solve the problem of self-report. How can you expect any sort of validity or reliability from such tests when they are solely dependent upon a person's ability to honestly reflect upon himself and his own abilities? Won't many people still just test how they'd like to be rather than how they are?

Clearly, you can see this demands a complete break with what MBTI has claimed for decades.
Singer and Loomis-both Jungian analysts- not only set out to challenge MBTI, but to also challenge Jung's long-held assumptions.

How did they solve the problem of confirmation bias via self-report? How do they purport to have tests for inherently unquantifiable concepts, and how can they claim that their tests are any more "accurate" than anyone else's?

What proof could they possibly have?

They never ran a check to see if the function orders they claim to be true, are actually true.

How the hell do you "run a check" when you're working with nebulous philosophical concepts that can't be quantified, objectively tested or empirically verified?

And really, if you still think we support iron-clad function orders in 100% of cases, you simply are not reading our posts.

I don't see it that way.

No, he is making the assumption that one leading function leads a majority of the time, which is pretty clear from reading his posts.

No one believes that only one functions leads 100% of the time; once AGAIN we're only making generalized statements about trends. "He's Fe dominant" just means that Fe leads his thought processes more often than any other function, NOT 100% OF THE TIME.

I refuse to make an all-encompassing claim about ALL human beings. Each person is unique.
I have no problem accepting the possibility that one person could have a SINGLE dominant function,

That's fine on its own, but it seems intuitively improbable as it would require a person to use two functions in precisely the same proportions. I'll grant you that people like this probably do exist somewhere, but they're also probably very uncommon.

For all I know there are hundreds of thousands of types, just as Singer and Loomis have suggested.

That'd be great if psychological type were a quantifiable or testable proposition. Unfortunately, due to problems created by confirmation bias and the fact that all of the "tests" are dependent entirely upon self-report, it's not, and so your point is entirely irrelevant. Congrats.

Then you need to stop looking for a way to empirically test inherently unquantifiable concepts.

Opinion?

Whether or not they actually do--how would you know the difference? Test results mean nothing because there's absolutely no way to verify any of this as empirical truth. How would you know if someone was strong in both Ne and Ni?

The fact that you're open to different functional order possibilities is great, but it's rendered almost meaningless by your myopic and dogmatic insistence that any of this is inherently testable. Why don't you open yourself to the possibility that your test results (and indeed, all typology test results) might be total bullshit because psychological type can't be quantified?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The premises of a deductive argument entail the truth of a set of statements. In other words, the logical content of the combination of premises is a set S. The conclusion of a deductive argument, then, is limited to S. It can either be a subset or the entire set. No matter what, then, the conclusion is either restating the logical content of the premises, or just restating a part of that logical content. Basically, you can always rewrite the premises to include the conclusion itself.

So you can always take the premises and play around with some logic rules and rewrite them as the conclusion itself.

A->B
A
Therefore
B

can be rewritten as

A->B
A
B
Therefore
B

can be rewritten as

blah blah
B
Therefore
B

If B wasn't a part of the premises, it couldn't be logically valid to conclude B.

An analogy would be something like
6-2
therefore

you can rewrite 6-2 as 4, so you're basically saying
therefore

A deductive argument must always consist of conditional if-then statements, yes, but that's not what circular logic is. Anyway I'm moving on to the next part now because this one didn't turn as interesting as I thought it would.

No, you used S to see the body language, then you used N to synthesize what you saw and come to a possible interpretation of what it means.

Which form of S did I use and how do you know?

People just trade between S and N multiple times per second. The combination of the two create things like perceiving the meaning of body language.

S by itself would just give you images with no meaning or symbols attached. N by itself would have nothing to work with.

Ok, I can accept this explanation for the moment.

External information is taken in through Sensing, always. Intuition attaches possible meanings to that information. By the time the information bubbles up to consciousness, it's an amalgamation of sense data (S) and metaphorical meaning (N).

If external information is always taken in via Sensing, what exactly does Ne do and why is it referred to as an extroverted function?

Extroverted judging functions don't take in any external information at all. They just make conclusions based on the data they have, with a bias towards including premises that are relevant to the environment. Introverted judging functions are biased towards using premises that are relevant to the current thought process, regardless of environmental relevance.

No, but extroverted perceiving functions (including Ne) do.

The difference between Se and Si is that Se tries to pick out sensory data about as many different pieces of the environment as possible, whereas Si tries to pick out sensory data that's specifically relevant to the current thought process.

So Si does pick up information directly from the outside world? Why is it an introverted function? As far as I'm aware, introverted functions do not interact directly with the external world.

Ne and Ni are different analogously to Se and Si -- Ne attaches metaphorical meaning to all the information it gets. Ni attaches more meaning to things that are relevant to the current thought process, potentially missing out on assigning meaning to all data.

So Ne and Ni are both inherently introverted and never communicate with the outer world? That doesn't seem likely.

Extroversion is like breadth, Introversion is like depth. Pe looks to everything, Pi looks deeply at a few things. Je factors in everything, Ji factors in more stuff about fewer things.

That's fine, but it doesn't make any sense to label Ne an extroverted function if it doesn't actually operate outside the subject himself. It would just be a third form of Pi.

I've explained a lot of this in my function definitions thread.

That's cool, but many of them don't seem to hold up.

Your assertion that Ne never takes in outside information is counterintuitive. Why would it would be called an extroverted function? If it occurs entirely in one's own head, how does it differ in terms of functional direction from Ni? The labeling doesn't make sense under your interpretation because you've declared Ne to be just another introverted function, and essentially declared Si to be an extroverted function because you've said that it can take in information from the external world where Ne apparently cannot.

That doesn't really seem to make sense. The breadth vs. depth descriptions may very well be true of E vs. I, but you've ignored the most basic property of E/I--one operates internally and the other operates externally. You seem to have decided that this difference either doesn't exist or is totally irrelevant, and I don't think I can get behind that.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I don't see it that way.

Opinion?

I think that our strongest functions are our Dominant and Tertiary. This will be 100% both in the same direction. It is what we use to work through all our problems. Like for Me its TiNi, TiNi is what drives everything I put on here. But we screw up our tertiary because we attempt to use it to understand things its not meant to understand. I have had someone respond that XYZ is very STP of you. It hit me that what I did was basically how I handle everything in my life and how I was trying to apply this somewhere it doesnt belong. Why use T when you have an F that is waiting to be developed.

I think we can have several functions developed like Ne Ni, but we are best at using our concious functions as a control. I can use TiNi to convince myself and control and steer all my subconcious functions.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Isn't Ti supposedly the dominant function of ISTP, not the auxiliary?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Isn't Ti supposedly the dominant function of ISTP, not the auxiliary?

Yup, slip of words, fixed. Everything else gets the point across though because I refer to Ti as opposed to my Aux :)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So you meant dominant + tertiary?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So you meant dominant + tertiary?

yes, why? Does it not match what I said? We prefer the direction of our dominant function so it would lead to it being very well developed, but also very well misused or to put it a better way overused.

redacted

I don't see it that way.

I think that it's a statistical impossibility to not use one function more often than others. Since all functions are used thousands of times a day, te chance that two functions are used the same amount is essentially zero.

Different situations call for different functions, sure...I'm just literally talking about the amount of usage of a function on average.

Opinion?

Intuition is intuition. There is usually a preferred direction, but that doesn't imply the other direction is underdeveloped. It just means one is used more often.

MBTI is about preference, not ability. So having a well developed function is irrelevant. It's about how much your functions are used.

A deductive argument must always consist of conditional if-then statements, yes, but that's not what circular logic is. Anyway I'm moving on to the next part now because this one didn't turn as interesting as I thought it would.

Circular logic, as in, you always assume your conclusion is true before you start your argument.

Your conclusion is always hidden in the premises. Deduction often times seems like you're coming to new conclusions, but you're not. You're just rewording your premises.

Which form of S did I use and how do you know?

I have no idea if you used Si or Se. But you used S if you took in sensory data. That's what S means. If you didn't take in sensory data, you'd have nothing for your intuition to work with.

If external information is always taken in via Sensing, what exactly does Ne do and why is it referred to as an extroverted function?

Like I said, intuition attaches metaphorical meaning to sense data. It's called perception because it's unconscious. So once information bubbles to consciousness, it's an amalgamation of sensing and intuition. If, in consciousness, that data is manipulated, it's judging.

No, but extroverted perceiving functions (including Ne) do.

The only functions that take in data are Si and Se. They are called sensing.

How do humans take in information about the world? Through their senses. What other kind of information is even possible to take in?

How is this confusing?

So Si does pick up information directly from the outside world? Why is it an introverted function? As far as I'm aware, introverted functions do not interact directly with the external world.

Well, I guess you should rework your understanding then.

Again, Sensing, by definition, is the part of cognition that takes in sense data. Sensing with an extroverted attitude prefers all environmental data equally. Sensing with an introverted attitude specifically focuses on environmental data relevant to the current thought process. That's why Si users go into more depth about details of one thing. If they're focusing on that thing, Si will collect all the sense information it can about it. Whereas Se doesn't care what they're focusing on; it's always looking all around, trying to get all the sense data possible.

So the tradeoff is, Se sees more (breadth), and Si sees in more detail (depth).

So Ne and Ni are both inherently introverted and never communicate with the outer world? That doesn't seem likely.

That's not what introversion means.

Ne attaches metaphorical meaning to as many different things as it can. Ni attaches metaphorical meaning to things relevant to the current thought process.

Again, think of it as breadth vs. depth. That's the best way to distinguish introversion and extroversion. Not direct contact with the world or whatever.

That's fine, but it doesn't make any sense to label Ne an extroverted function if it doesn't actually operate outside the subject himself. It would just be a third form of Pi.

Only if you have the incorrect definition of introversion.

I don't really know what more to say...

Direct contact with the world doesn't have anything to do with I/E. The only difference between introverted and extroverted functions is that introverted functions frame their uses on the internal standard, extroverted functions frame their uses on the external standard. The internal standard is defined by the current thought process/unconscious tendencies. The external standard is just defined by what's currently happening in the environment. This is why people that favor extroverted perceiving are Ps, they are constantly changing their frame of reference...looking desperately for novelty. People that favor introverted perceiving are J, because they follow along with one line of thought and fill it out.

My definitions are very simple and totally parallel. Not only that, but you can exactly determine which of the four functions are being used in any situation. You can't really figure out introversion or extroversion of functions, though, except by observing over time.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Evan, you might be on to something :)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Direct contact with the world doesn't have anything to do with I/E. The only difference between introverted and extroverted functions is that introverted functions frame their uses on the internal standard, extroverted functions frame their uses on the external standard. The internal standard is defined by the current thought process/unconscious tendencies. The external standard is just defined by what's currently happening in the environment. This is why people that favor extroverted perceiving are Ps, they are constantly changing their frame of reference...looking desperately for novelty. People that favor introverted perceiving are J, because they follow along with one line of thought and fill it out.

This is alot of what I thought when I first got into MBTI. The problem I started to see is that how can a thought process that you are conciously going about be unconcious? I will throw out the idea that a concious Ne could represent an unconcious TiNi of FiNi. Like Fe could be some combination of unconcious SiFi or NiFi.

redacted

This is alot of what I thought when I first got into MBTI. The problem I started to see is that how can a thought process that you are conciously going about be unconcious? I will throw out the idea that a concious Ne could represent an unconcious TiNi of FiNi. Like Fe could be some combination of unconcious SiFi or NiFi.

Do you mind rewording that? I have no idea what you're talking about. :huh:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you mind rewording that? I have no idea what you're talking about. :huh:

Sheesh, intuitive minds, gotta spell everything out:D

Ok, I will take it to simple terms. TiNi is used to piece together how thing logically fit at a very deep level to create a pattern or theory. Ne is good at this, but more in terms of breadth. So Ne would be like very quick and dirty TiNi or FiNi, something we dont really control conciously. Then someone like an INTP would logically break this down into Si data using Ti.

Im wondering if for Ti types Ne or Se would be driven by a subconcious FiNi or FiSi then processed through Ti.

An INTP would be Ne(FiNi) -> Ti - >Si

Like I said just a thought.

edit: to define what I see as Si look at what an INTP actually comes up with. The come up with the detail of the theory. The use Ti to take Ne and create detail of it. The detail is the constants, the invividual functions, etc.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I don't think that you can have TWO dominant functions... if you test that way in a functions test then that just doesn't mean anything. You can't have more than one unconscious and natural way of thinking, as an ISFP for example it's Fi. That's my default lens in life. Te is your default lens. Even though you can improve yourself and your function use, you can't have more than one dominant function. If someone thinks that you can, then they are mistaken about the definition of "dominant".

Jaguar said:

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Everyone varies with how they are functionally, but they still end up fitting into a type. A type is a core thing. You can measure how people vary with functions sure, but they will always fit into a certain type with how they naturally function at the core.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think that it's a statistical impossibility to not use one function more often than others. Since all functions are used thousands of times a day, te chance that two functions are used the same amount is essentially zero.

Different situations call for different functions, sure...I'm just literally talking about the amount of usage of a function on average.

I'm not sure Jaguar is capable of understanding the concept of average trends. It's either 100% or 0% with him, or it doesn't exist. Classic Te.

Intuition is intuition. There is usually a preferred direction, but that doesn't imply the other direction is underdeveloped. It just means one is used more often.

I can't agree with this, based on observation and personal study of virtually everyone I know. Show me an ENTP with equal Ni to his Ne; I dare you.

MBTI is about preference, not ability. So having a well developed function is irrelevant. It's about how much your functions are used.

But the more you prefer to use a function, the more it becomes developed because you're practicing it. I don't see how development and preference could be mutually exclusive.

Circular logic, as in, you always assume your conclusion is true before you start your argument.

Your conclusion is always hidden in the premises. Deduction often times seems like you're coming to new conclusions, but you're not. You're just rewording your premises.

Well, you're just coming to conclusions that are already implied by the premises. It's just that many people don't naturally understand this deduction process, so we use deductive argumentation as a way to express it more concretely.

I have no idea if you used Si or Se. But you used S if you took in sensory data. That's what S means. If you didn't take in sensory data, you'd have nothing for your intuition to work with.

Yes I got that that's your interpretation; I just find it really unnecessarily limited.

Like I said, intuition attaches metaphorical meaning to sense data. It's called perception because it's unconscious. So once information bubbles to consciousness, it's an amalgamation of sensing and intuition. If, in consciousness, that data is manipulated, it's judging.

I think metaphorical meaning is much more a function of Ni than Ne, but that's beside the point so I'll drop this part for now.

The only functions that take in data are Si and Se. They are called sensing.

How do humans take in information about the world? Through their senses. What other kind of information is even possible to take in?

How is this confusing?

The kind of information that arises from observing abstract patterns and connections between abstract external world concepts. You seem to be arguing that intuition itself is inherently introverted, and yet both Si and Se can be extroverted at different times? This doesn't hold up.

Out of curiosity, would you mind explaining to me what you think the difference between Ni and Ne is? I'm very curious now because I think you lack understanding of what Ne really does.

Well, I guess you should rework your understanding then.

Same to you, buddy.

Again, Sensing, by definition, is the part of cognition that takes in sense data. Sensing with an extroverted attitude prefers all environmental data equally. Sensing with an introverted attitude specifically focuses on environmental data relevant to the current thought process. That's why Si users go into more depth about details of one thing. If they're focusing on that thing, Si will collect all the sense information it can about it. Whereas Se doesn't care what they're focusing on; it's always looking all around, trying to get all the sense data possible.

And yet Ne is not looking around trying to get as much data as possible? You neglect the importance of external validation for Ne vs. Ni. You've implied that both are purely internal processes, which negates the fundamental definition of an extroverted function.

It's quite possible to perceive information from the outside world that doesn't consist purely of literal five-senses data. It's called Ne. Noticing that when x person takes action y, he will usually also take action z--this connection is in itself information stemming from the external world, but can't be expressed in terms of purely sense data.

How do you explain this?

So the tradeoff is, Se sees more (breadth), and Si sees in more detail (depth).

That's great; the same relationship applies to Ni/Ne. This isn't the part of your interpretation with which I take issue.

That's not what introversion means.

Then maybe you should rework your own understanding.

Ne attaches metaphorical meaning to as many different things as it can. Ni attaches metaphorical meaning to things relevant to the current thought process.

You've still defined the internal world as the ultimate source of Ne, which leads me to believe you really don't understand what it does. You seem to see it as merely a more breadth-focused version of Ni, still stemming primarily from the inside, which totally neglects the external environment as a vital component of the Ne process.

Again, think of it as breadth vs. depth. That's the best way to distinguish introversion and extroversion. Not direct contact with the world or whatever.

As I said, maybe you should rework your own understanding and stop using such a limited definition of a concept with many more implications and possible interpretations than that.

Only if you have the incorrect definition of introversion.

I don't really know what more to say...

Latter part is fine...but I can't agree with your simplistic definition of introversion/extroversion because you've taken a surface characteristic and erroneously decided it's the root cause.

I'd agree with you that E functions do better with breadth and I ones do better with depth, but that's only one surface consequence of an even deeper cause.

My definitions are very simple and totally parallel. Not only that, but you can exactly determine which of the four functions are being used in any situation. You can't really figure out introversion or extroversion of functions, though, except by observing over time.

My definitions are parallel across a different dimension of similarity.

The fact that you can figure out exactly anything in your system should be a clear indication that you make too many arbitrary assumptions.

I don't have a quotable source for my interpretation either, as it's based largely on personal experience and interaction with people, but your definition of Ne is grossly oversimplified and you seem to think there's a lot more "exactness" to this stuff than there actually is. (Which is pretty Ti, I would say.)

My system actually explains why Xi dominant types appear socially withdrawn--the only reasonably intuitive answer is that introverted functions have a very difficult time expressing themselves to the external world. When you see an INTJ in his dominant Ni mode, he's typically having a very hard time communicating his ideas to anyone else because Ni doesn't translate into terms that can be separated from his personal perception. There's no way he can make you see what he sees, and most of the time he doesn't even want to--Ni requires no external validation.

When he goes into Te mode, though, suddenly he appears extroverted and very outwardly goal-oriented, briefly looking like an ENTJ. This is because extroverted functions are required in order to interact successfully with the outer world. You cannot reduce introversion/extroversion purely to a question of breadth/depth--that is one aspect that results from being I or E in many cases, but is only one small part of the total picture of what those attitudes mean.

Furthermore, I think by reducing extroversion to fundamentally a subset of introversion, you display a basic conceptual misunderstanding of the very nature of extroversion. Given also that you're someone who used to describe himself as Ni/Ti (hence your waffling between INTP and INFJ), I'd wager a guess that you have a number of social difficulties with the external world in general, and that this is probably having an effect on your ability to grasp the true nature of extroversion.

Right now you're just trying to express it in terms of introversion, and that doesn't work because it's something completely different. This is all suggestive that you have rather weak E functions yourself and probably don't understand their significance firsthand--if you did, you wouldn't need to discuss them as if they're just another form of introversion (as you've done here with Ne.)

redacted

It depends how you define types. There are obviously lots of possible function orders: 8*7*6*5*4*3*2 = 40320 possible orders.

The way you get 16 is this: there are 8 functions, and one of them is used the most. That gives you 8 possibilities. For each of those, there are two choices for an auxiliary (that doesn't necessarily mean 2nd most used function, it just means the more used function out of the two possible opposite P/J and opposite I/E functions). 8*2 = 16.

So for a Pi dominant, the auxiliary is a Je. That doesn't mean the Je is used second most, just that the definition of auxiliary entails it. The auxiliary could technically be the 7th most used. A Ti dominant is either ISTP or INTP. The defining factor is whether Ne or Se is used more. If Ne is used more, they're INTP. Even if Te, Ni, Fe, Fi, and Si are used more.

redacted

I can't agree with this, based on observation and personal study of virtually everyone I know. Show me an ENTP with equal Ni to his Ne; I dare you.

Well, that's impossible by the definition of ENTP, so I can't. ENTPs by definition use Ne more than any other function.

But the more you prefer to use a function, the more it becomes developed because you're practicing it. I don't see how development and preference could be mutually exclusive.

True. But that doesn't mean an INFP couldn't have a better working Te than an ENTJ. It just means they use it less compared to their other functions.

Well, you're just coming to conclusions that are already implied by the premises. It's just that many people don't naturally understand this deduction process, so we use deductive argumentation as a way to express it more concretely.

Agree.

Yes I got that that's your interpretation; I just find it really unnecessarily limited.

k.

I think metaphorical meaning is much more a function of Ni than Ne, but that's beside the point so I'll drop this part for now.

k.

The kind of information that arises from observing abstract patterns and connections between abstract external world concepts. You seem to be arguing that intuition itself is inherently introverted, and yet both Si and Se can be extroverted at different times? This doesn't hold up.

I only have one definition of introverted and extroverted. You're conflating my definition with yours, so of course it looks like there is a contradiction.

Out of curiosity, would you mind explaining to me what you think the difference between Ni and Ne is? I'm very curious now because I think you lack understanding of what Ne really does.

I did. N is intuition (attaching metaphorical meaning). Ne does it with everything, Ni does it more with specific things.

Same to you, buddy.

k.

And yet Ne is not looking around trying to get as much data as possible? You neglect the importance of external validation for Ne vs. Ni. You've implied that both are purely internal processes, which negates the fundamental definition of an extroverted function.

Not my fundamental definition.

It's quite possible to perceive information from the outside world that doesn't consist purely of literal five-senses data. It's called Ne. Noticing that when x person takes action y, he will usually also take action z--this connection is in itself information stemming from the external world, but can't be expressed in terms of purely sense data.

Making that connection is not directly given by the environment. It takes internal synthesis of information.

Anyways, I'm not saying your view isn't logically consistent. It just doesn't fit with the definitions anyone else uses.