• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ne vs. Ni

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
Did any of you ever see the "Justice versus Power" discussion between Foucault and Noam Chomsky? I think it offers some characteristic dynamics to how things usually develop when intellectual Ne/ Ni types meet.

Part 1
YouTube - Justice Vs. Power - Chomsky Vs. Foucault, Part 1

Part 2
YouTube - Justice Vs. Power - Chomsky Vs. Foucault, Part 2

We have Foucault, almost certainly an ENTP, pitted against Chomsky, IN-J with a very strong Ni. We see some of the ruthlessness of T going in for the kill (rather than cooperating) some of Chomsky's points. We see Foucault going in for the one-up, brashly sweeping away Chomsky's meticulous Ni-constructs .

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We have Foucault, almost certainly an ENTP, pitted against Chomsky, IN-J with a very strong Ni. We see some of the ruthlessness of T going in for the kill (rather than cooperating) some of Chomsky's points. We see Foucault going in for the one-up, brashly sweeping away Chomsky's meticulous Ni-constructs .

It is a good thing you are not choosing sides here. :D

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
Errr... I dindn't aim to. But I need to prepare for a dinner party which I cannot be late for.

Yes - that's why I'm writing this post :doh:

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Errr... I dindn't aim to. But I need to prepare for a dinner party which I cannot be late for.

Yes - that's why I'm writing this post :doh:

...heheh, when I first read this I thought that reminding yourself of the dialogue between F and C was part of your preparation for the dinner party. I say that because I've sometimes sat and watched/listened to a bit of Noel Coward, or The Goon Show or Derek and Clive (I'm sure Spike Milligan was ENxP and I'd put money on Peter Cook being ENTP), to get myself into top Ne form before a gathering of any sort :D

But anyway - I've been in (mostly less intellectual) discussions of this type on many occasions, and found that the "audience" tends to be split down the middle as to who thinks whom has "won".

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
Well, in terms of debate most people I've known have gone with Foucault. But things aren't always a matter of debate.

(Who'd expect an ENTP to say THAT :shock:)

--------

And no - I started watching that for entirely different reasons. But I like your idea of Ne prepping - doesn't it ever lead to one-upmanship, though?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, in terms of debate most people I've known have gone with Foucault. But things aren't always a matter of debate.

I've known people to call someone the winner of a debate even though their points were conclusively trashed, because in their opinion this person kept hold of the moral high ground; they may dislike the Ne-style arguer because they might view him/her as obnoxious or cocky, and based on the fact that they liked them less, deem them to have lost the argument. Quite strange, really, but it happens.

And no - I started watching that for entirely different reasons. But I like your idea of Ne prepping - doesn't it ever lead to one-upmanship, though?

Oh yes, often - but the trick is to do it in a way that's not crass or vulgar, in a way that's entertaining and subtle. :devil:

No seriously, I don't one-up on purpose. Actually watching those things helps me to be witty and entertaining without resorting to one-upping (since it's so easy, I always feel a bit cheap afterwards for not going the harder route).

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, if there was anything I could hear through Foucault it was extraverted thinking, not extraverted intuition. In fact, that debating style is much more attributable to Te than to Ne.
On another note, I don't mean to sound stupid but, what exactly were they talking about? I feel like I caught them in the middle of a much longer conversation. What exactly was Chomsky advocating?( I mean what was he advocating as a tangible policy). What exactly (tangible policy) was Faucault advocating.
On that note, my (Ne) reaction to that kind of conversation is often "So what?" because the conversation was so intensly philosophical.