User Tag List

Thread: Ne vs. Ni

MBTI
    ERTP

Default Ne vs. Ni

Did any of you ever see the "Justice versus Power" discussion between Foucault and Noam Chomsky? I think it offers some characteristic dynamics to how things usually develop when intellectual Ne/ Ni types meet.

Part 1
    YouTube - Justice Vs. Power - Chomsky Vs. Foucault, Part 1

Part 2
    YouTube - Justice Vs. Power - Chomsky Vs. Foucault, Part 2

We have Foucault, almost certainly an ENTP, pitted against Chomsky, IN-J with a very strong Ni. We see some of the ruthlessness of T going in for the kill (rather than cooperating) some of Chomsky's points. We see Foucault going in for the one-up, brashly sweeping away Chomsky's meticulous Ni-constructs .
    best collection of philosopher typings online

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    We have Foucault, almost certainly an ENTP, pitted against Chomsky, IN-J with a very strong Ni. We see some of the ruthlessness of T going in for the kill (rather than cooperating) some of Chomsky's points. We see Foucault going in for the one-up, brashly sweeping away Chomsky's meticulous Ni-constructs .
    It is a good thing you are not choosing sides here.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ERTP

Errr... I dindn't aim to. But I need to prepare for a dinner party which I cannot be late for.

Yes - that's why I'm writing this post

MBTI
    ENTP

Errr... I dindn't aim to. But I need to prepare for a dinner party which I cannot be late for.

Yes - that's why I'm writing this post
    ...heheh, when I first read this I thought that reminding yourself of the dialogue between F and C was part of your preparation for the dinner party. I say that because I've sometimes sat and watched/listened to a bit of Noel Coward, or The Goon Show or Derek and Clive (I'm sure Spike Milligan was ENxP and I'd put money on Peter Cook being ENTP), to get myself into top Ne form before a gathering of any sort

But anyway - I've been in (mostly less intellectual) discussions of this type on many occasions, and found that the "audience" tends to be split down the middle as to who thinks whom has "won".
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ERTP

Well, in terms of debate most people I've known have gone with Foucault. But things aren't always a matter of debate.

(Who'd expect an ENTP to say THAT )

--------

And no - I started watching that for entirely different reasons. But I like your idea of Ne prepping - doesn't it ever lead to one-upmanship, though?

MBTI
    ENTP

Well, in terms of debate most people I've known have gone with Foucault. But things aren't always a matter of debate.
    I've known people to call someone the winner of a debate even though their points were conclusively trashed, because in their opinion this person kept hold of the moral high ground; they may dislike the Ne-style arguer because they might view him/her as obnoxious or cocky, and based on the fact that they liked them less, deem them to have lost the argument. Quite strange, really, but it happens.

And no - I started watching that for entirely different reasons. But I like your idea of Ne prepping - doesn't it ever lead to one-upmanship, though?
    Oh yes, often - but the trick is to do it in a way that's not crass or vulgar, in a way that's entertaining and subtle.

No seriously, I don't one-up on purpose. Actually watching those things helps me to be witty and entertaining without resorting to one-upping (since it's so easy, I always feel a bit cheap afterwards for not going the harder route).
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTP

Well, if there was anything I could hear through Foucault it was extraverted thinking, not extraverted intuition. In fact, that debating style is much more attributable to Te than to Ne.
    On another note, I don't mean to sound stupid but, what exactly were they talking about? I feel like I caught them in the middle of a much longer conversation. What exactly was Chomsky advocating?( I mean what was he advocating as a tangible policy). What exactly (tangible policy) was Faucault advocating.
    On that note, my (Ne) reaction to that kind of conversation is often "So what?" because the conversation was so intensly philosophical.