User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: ISTJs v INTJs

MBTI
    InTJ
    Enneagram

Default ISTJs v INTJs

What are the main differences between ISTJs and INTJs? How do you tell the two apart? They seem really similar on the surface, but i know they are pretty different if you look deeper.

I think a lot of it is just going to boil down to the difference between N an S, but I'll give it a try:

INTJs are FAR more open to change. INTJs will not fail to make a welcome change just for the sake of trying to avoid something "different." ISTJs absolutely will avoid change at almost all costs and are scared of the unknown. INTJs tend to welcome it to a certain extent (certainly nothing like an ESFP would).

INTJs are more curious about the world around them and "why" questions.

I would say ISTJs are marginally more loyal and much less likely to be cynics. INTJs are more self-confident.

MBTI
    FREE

My best friend and my stepmother are both ISTJs. A close friend and mentor of mine is an INTJ. They are incredibly different in my opinion, and just as theplacesyoullgo said, it boils down to the differences between S and N. While both types are good at following through, being productive, etc, the ISTJ is very much interested in social conformity and acceptance whilst the INTJ is interested in personal mastery and intellectual accomplishment.

You are an INTJ, let me ask you this: Do you think it is wrong to murder?

P.S. - the ISTJs I know couldn't care less about all my theoretical meanderings, but the INTJ does everything short of ejaculate in reponse to the intellectual stimulation I provide for him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I also wanted to add a little anecdote about ISTJ vs. INTJ: I have a close INTJ friend and an even closer ISTJ friend. Their attitude toward MBTI is so telling: My ISTJ friend didn't really see the point of it all and put off taking the test for years. She finally did, and I think her response was "oh, that's cool, it really sounds like me!" and had no further questions about it. I once broached the topic with my INTJ friend and it turns out that, unbeknownst to me, she had been trying to figure out her type for years and immediately unloaded a bunch of reasons why she couldn't be some of the other types she'd considered, really putting a lot of thought into the differences between functions.

On another note, ISTJs will see the world in black and white waaaaaay more than an INTJ would.

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Petite Etoile View Post
    What are the main differences between ISTJs and INTJs? How do you tell the two apart? They seem really similar on the surface, but i know they are pretty different if you look deeper.
    Externally, we're almost identical, particularly if both ITJs developed their Te.
    Internally, we're complete opposites.

The best way to figure the Si/Ni difference is to catch the ITJs processing new information in real time. Do not give them time to thoughtfully complete their answer.

• ISTJs would recall their daily details perfectly, and require massive descriptions to piece together the bigger (and standardized) picture.
    • INTJs start out with a bigger, yet sketchy picture, and then work their way down to the details, conceptually.

For instance, my ISTJ friend needs to explain an issue in full detail to understand what happened, while I would jump straight to the root causes, and then jump around from data to data to figure out how the theory applies to the issue.

Or when my ISTJ friend reads a textbook, she reads the chapters in a sequential, logical order. When I read a textbook, I might start with the ending chapter and then travel wherever the concepts lead me.

===================================

Quote Originally Posted by theplacesyoullgo View Post
    INTJs are FAR more open to change. INTJs will not fail to make a welcome change just for the sake of trying to avoid something "different." ISTJs absolutely will avoid change at almost all costs and are scared of the unknown. INTJs tend to welcome it to a certain extent (certainly nothing like an ESFP would).
    Usually. ISTJs are less of a risk-taker than INTJs.

Ni: Future-oriented; "What will be"; How the present data compares to the future
    Si: Past-oriented; "What was"; How the present data compares to the past
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    Usually.
    Well, yes. Everything I wrote definitely has an implicit "most of the time" disclaimer on it.

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Well, yes. Everything I wrote definitely has an implicit "most of the time" disclaimer on it.
    Haha, same here. It's a natural reaction. I try to avoid absolutes, if I can, and I attempted to agree without mentioning it.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

MBTI
    INTJ

I would be more hard pressed to find a similarity than a difference.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

INTJs are more curious about the world around them and "why" questions.

I would say ISTJs are marginally more loyal and much less likely to be cynics.
    I call shenanigans here as well with other similar claims,the N superiority complex on this form rears its ugly head yet again, as an istj, I question, debate, and research all of my professors, peers, and parents claims, my room is a mess, I wait to the last minute on projects and homework, and I love debating theory, yet Im still an istj.

The difference, when it comes to logic and understanding issues between the two, is that deductive reasoning is used more by the istj and inductive for the intj. This difference here accounts for many other differences you can find between the types, though theses other differences will not be universal. Si vs Ni, Si dealing with memory, storage, of facts, thus builidng up to a conclusion, and Ni comes to a conclusion then fills it up.

Some people on here take the mbti as a personal bible and blow things to cookie cutter levels.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    You are an INTJ, let me ask you this: Do you think it is wrong to murder?

P.S. - the ISTJs I know couldn't care less about all my theoretical meanderings, but the INTJ does everything short of ejaculate in reponse to the intellectual stimulation I provide for him.
    Ahahahahahaa, awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I would be more hard pressed to find a similarity than a difference.
    It is true that the inherent differences between Ns and Ss (how the f*ck do you spell that?!!?), are staggering.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles