• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISTJs v INTJs

Petite Etoile

MBTI Type
InTJ
Enneagram
What are the main differences between ISTJs and INTJs? How do you tell the two apart? They seem really similar on the surface, but i know they are pretty different if you look deeper.

theplacesyoullgo

I think a lot of it is just going to boil down to the difference between N an S, but I'll give it a try:

INTJs are FAR more open to change. INTJs will not fail to make a welcome change just for the sake of trying to avoid something "different." ISTJs absolutely will avoid change at almost all costs and are scared of the unknown. INTJs tend to welcome it to a certain extent (certainly nothing like an ESFP would).

INTJs are more curious about the world around them and "why" questions.

I would say ISTJs are marginally more loyal and much less likely to be cynics. INTJs are more self-confident.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
My best friend and my stepmother are both ISTJs. A close friend and mentor of mine is an INTJ. They are incredibly different in my opinion, and just as theplacesyoullgo said, it boils down to the differences between S and N. While both types are good at following through, being productive, etc, the ISTJ is very much interested in social conformity and acceptance whilst the INTJ is interested in personal mastery and intellectual accomplishment.

You are an INTJ, let me ask you this: Do you think it is wrong to murder?

P.S. - the ISTJs I know couldn't care less about all my theoretical meanderings, but the INTJ does everything short of ejaculate in reponse to the intellectual stimulation I provide for him.

theplacesyoullgo

I also wanted to add a little anecdote about ISTJ vs. INTJ: I have a close INTJ friend and an even closer ISTJ friend. Their attitude toward MBTI is so telling: My ISTJ friend didn't really see the point of it all and put off taking the test for years. She finally did, and I think her response was "oh, that's cool, it really sounds like me!" and had no further questions about it. I once broached the topic with my INTJ friend and it turns out that, unbeknownst to me, she had been trying to figure out her type for years and immediately unloaded a bunch of reasons why she couldn't be some of the other types she'd considered, really putting a lot of thought into the differences between functions.

On another note, ISTJs will see the world in black and white waaaaaay more than an INTJ would.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What are the main differences between ISTJs and INTJs? How do you tell the two apart? They seem really similar on the surface, but i know they are pretty different if you look deeper.

Externally, we're almost identical, particularly if both ITJs developed their Te.
Internally, we're complete opposites.

The best way to figure the Si/Ni difference is to catch the ITJs processing new information in real time. Do not give them time to thoughtfully complete their answer.

• ISTJs would recall their daily details perfectly, and require massive descriptions to piece together the bigger (and standardized) picture.
  • INTJs start out with a bigger, yet sketchy picture, and then work their way down to the details, conceptually.

For instance, my ISTJ friend needs to explain an issue in full detail to understand what happened, while I would jump straight to the root causes, and then jump around from data to data to figure out how the theory applies to the issue.

Or when my ISTJ friend reads a textbook, she reads the chapters in a sequential, logical order. When I read a textbook, I might start with the ending chapter and then travel wherever the concepts lead me.

===================================

INTJs are FAR more open to change. INTJs will not fail to make a welcome change just for the sake of trying to avoid something "different." ISTJs absolutely will avoid change at almost all costs and are scared of the unknown. INTJs tend to welcome it to a certain extent (certainly nothing like an ESFP would).

Usually. :) ISTJs are less of a risk-taker than INTJs.

Ni: Future-oriented; "What will be"; How the present data compares to the future
Si: Past-oriented; "What was"; How the present data compares to the past

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well, yes. ;) Everything I wrote definitely has an implicit "most of the time" disclaimer on it.

Haha, same here. It's a natural reaction. I try to avoid absolutes, if I can, and I attempted to agree without mentioning it. :)

cogdecree

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
INTJs are more curious about the world around them and "why" questions.

I would say ISTJs are marginally more loyal and much less likely to be cynics.

I call shenanigans here as well with other similar claims,the N superiority complex on this form rears its ugly head yet again, as an istj, I question, debate, and research all of my professors, peers, and parents claims, my room is a mess, I wait to the last minute on projects and homework, and I love debating theory, yet I’m still an istj.

The difference, when it comes to logic and understanding issues between the two, is that deductive reasoning is used more by the istj and inductive for the intj. This difference here accounts for many other differences you can find between the types, though theses other differences will not be universal. Si vs Ni, Si dealing with memory, storage, of facts, thus builidng up to a conclusion, and Ni comes to a conclusion then fills it up.

Some people on here take the mbti as a personal bible and blow things to cookie cutter levels.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
You are an INTJ, let me ask you this: Do you think it is wrong to murder?

P.S. - the ISTJs I know couldn't care less about all my theoretical meanderings, but the INTJ does everything short of ejaculate in reponse to the intellectual stimulation I provide for him.
Ahahahahahaa, awesome!!!

I would be more hard pressed to find a similarity than a difference.
It is true that the inherent differences between Ns and Ss (how the f*ck do you spell that?!!?), are staggering.

theplacesyoullgo

I call shenanigans here, as an istj, I question, debate, and research all of my professors claims, the N superiority complex on this form rears its ugly head yet again, my room is a mess, I wait to the last minute on projects and homework, and I love debating theory, yet I’m still an istj.

The difference, when it comes to logic and understanding issues between the two, deductive reasoning is used more by the istj and inductive for the intj. This difference here accounts for many other differences you can find between the types. Si vs Ni, Si dealing with memory, storage, of facts, thus builidng up, and Ni which is an empty bucket which then later fills itself in.

Some people on here take the mbti as a personal bible and blow things to cookie cutter levels.

Anecdotal arguing is so S. ;)

This type of question really only lends itself to "cookie cutter," highly generalized responses. In answering questions like these, I'm not going to preface every statement with "on average." Of course such responses aren't going to account for specific differences among individuals. On the whole, INTJs are going to be more curious and inquisitive than ISTJs. Are there ISTJs who are inquisitive and wait until the last minute to do things? Sure, but I'd argue that (e.g.) it pains the majority of ISTJs to wait until the last minute to make plans.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I call shenanigans here, as an istj, I question, debate, and research all of my professors claims, the N superiority complex on this form rears its ugly head again, my room is a mess, I wait to the last minute on projects and homework, and I love debating theory, yet I’m still an istj

The difference, when it comes to logic and understanding issues between the two, deductive reasoning is used more by the istj and inductive for the intj. This difference here accounts for many other differences you can find between the types. Si vs Ni, Si dealing with memory, storage, of facts, thus builidng up, and Ni which is an empty bucket which then later fills itself in.

As for the N part, classic ISTJs have Ne.

Raz (ISTJ) has an excellent description of how he uses Ne, and the INTJ vs. ISTJ difference in general:

I had this same issue when I started getting into MBTI. I couldn't tell if I was an INTJ or ISTJ. I grew up working on computers, so I was surrounded by NTs everywhere. I would be surprised if my habits weren't NT-like. Part of the problem of figuring it out is easily confusing other things for being an N. Extreme introversion can be confused for being intuitive, because people equate inuitive at times with aloofness. I can easily get lost in my head, but does that necessarily mean I'm lost in abstract thought? No.

You can easily confuse ISTJs also because of Ne. However, you have to realize that Ne is intuition focused outward and Ni is focused inward. Ni is more conceptual in nature, and it focuses on ideas and theories concerning systems of thought. Ne is intuition of the extraverted kind, which means that it's focused on external possibilities. Ni asks, "How can I make an effective hot dog and stand what will it require?" Ne asks, "What potential income does this hot dog stand have in terms of customers coming over a certain time period?"

Being an NTJ and STJ means that your life is also structured. You plan things out. Ni makes a plan, but draws out a vague plan of what is necessary to be accomplished. Si looks at everything necessary to be accomplished, the requirements of each one, and how to plan it out sequentially. For example, an NTJ will say, "I need to go pay the phone bill, go to the gym and buy a present for a friend tomorrow." An STJ will say, "I'll go to the gym in the morning. I can pay the phone bill before have lunch at 12 PM, then after that, I can go shopping in the afternoon."

Like I said, Ni draws out bigger plans. Si wants exactitude. That's why their plans are more specific. There's more to elaborate on but my eyes are closing. I'll post more tomorrow. It's really about telling the difference between how abstract vs. concrete you are.

Si dealing with memory, storage, of facts, thus builidng up, and Ni which is an empty bucket which then later fills itself in.

Yes, this makes me VERY scatter-brained compared to the ISTJ's way of thinking. I start out with an empty bucket, and then attempt to fit the bucket into my larger, existing framework of the other full buckets. Once I discover the connection, I can begin filling out the insides. The ISTJ does the exact opposite: they seek out the inner materials, and select the exacting bucket as soon as they have enough.

cogdecree

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
My main point is that you'll find more errors by judging type on behavior than on the cognitive functions which seperate the two, So if we are to look on the "inside" which was where the rest of you agreed that the source of divergence existed , and the case between with these two, it would be si or ni, inductive and deductive logic.

Behavior is what we observe on the outside, not what goes on the inside of our minds, and such is an important distiction in regards to self analysis, which the peron who submitted the op is an ixtj, thus the point of the op.

cogdecree

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
As for the N part, classic ISTJs have Ne.

Raz (ISTJ) has an excellent description of how he uses Ne, and the INTJ vs. ISTJ difference in general:

Yes, this makes me VERY scatter-brained compared to the ISTJ's way of thinking. I start out with an empty bucket, and then attempt to fit the bucket into my larger, existing framework of the other full buckets. Once I discover the connection, I can begin filling out the insides. The ISTJ does the exact opposite: they seek out the inner materials, and select the exacting bucket as soon as they have enough.

I've read that post as well, again I'm just making clear the distinctions between behavior and cognitive functions, as to help with the most precise source of divergence, to best assist the op in her own decision / self analysis.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Now, what's all this jazz about buckets?

*visualizes an exploding empty bucket*

*visualizes an imploding full bucket*

cogdecree

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Now, what's all this jazz about buckets?

*visualizes an exploding empty bucket*

*visualizes an imploding full bucket*

ha ha, a weird metaphor that came to me in my sleep deprived delirium

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My main point is that you'll find more errors by judging type on behavior than on the cognitive functions which seperate the two, So if we are to look on the "inside" which was where the rest of you agreed that the source of divergence existed , and the case between with these two, it would be si or ni, inductive and deductive logic.

Behavior is what we observe on the outside, not what goes on the inside of our minds, and such is an important distiction in regards to self analysis, which the peron who submitted the op is an ixtj, thus the point of the op.

Typing someone on behavior is more complicated than what many give credit to. We can perform an atypical action, because we reasoned through use of our preferred functions, that this is an ideal decision. For example, someone decides to purchase a new house through extensive research and careful planning.

Yet to entirely assume the person is an ITJ, would be discarding all the cognitive processing that went into this choice. For all we know, he or she could be an ESFP with an extremely seasoned tertiary Te, and inferior Ni, and ultimately desires to build a beautiful house (Se) that inspires an exhilarating, inner feeling (Fi).

*Edit: Adding more thoughts to your post. Not a correction.

I've read that post as well, again I'm just making clear the distinctions between behavior and cognitive functions, as to help with the most precise source of divergence, to best assist the op in her own decision / self analysis.

Noted. :) I've also included the quote for the OP's information, to add another ISTJ's perspective of the ITJ differences.

cogdecree

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Typing someone on behavior is more complicated than what many give credit to. We can perform an atypical action because we reasoned through use of our preferred functions that this is an ideal decision. For example, someone decides to purchase a new house through extensive research and careful planning.

Yet to entirely assume the person is an ITJ, would be discarding all the cognitive processing that went into this choice. For all we know, he or she could be an ESFP with an extremely seasoned tertiary Te, and inferior Ni, and ultimately desires to build a beautiful house (Se) that inspires an exhilarating, inner feeling (Fi).

you do have a point in regard to behavior, though, in this instance with the distance that Si and Ni have between the two types, (and I wasn't going to discredit op's own findings of ITJ), si/ni usually ends up being the tie breaker to help discern such.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
you do have a point in regard to behavior, though, in this instance with the distance that Si and Ni have between the two types, (and I wasn't going to discredit op's own findings of ITJ), si/ni usually ends up being the tie breaker to help discern such.

Definitely. I was highlighting the issues of typing on behavior alone, not necessarily in the case of discerning between two MBTI types.

*Edit: For those who are following and the OP, see how I'm jumping around to a new, but conceptually-related topic? ;) And how Cogdecree is replying directly to the given topic?

cogdecree

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Definitely. I was highlighting the issues of typing on behavior alone, not necessarily in the case of discerning between two MBTI types.

my apologies, I just reread it, I was too tired to even notice that you agreed on the post, I'm predicting a soft matress and a pillow in my immediate future.