• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISTJs v INTJs

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
my apologies, I just reread it, I was too tired to even notice that you agreed on the post, I'm predicting a soft matress and a pillow in my immediate future.

No worries, I used it as a way to help the OP discern the Ni and Si difference, in the edit. You should see me in a RL conversation, I drive other sequential-thinkers insane because my thoughts do not match up linearly. It's more like a sprouting tree of ideas. I can sometimes talk about 5-10 seemingly different subjects in one spot, but in my mind, I view them as all thematically related to one bigger picture.

VagrantFarce

ISTJs are by far the most grounded type, whereas INTJs have their head in the clouds by default. :) Though both types can be very pragmatic, the devil's in the details: ISTJs have a innate grasp on what is physically reliable to them, to the point where they can become paranoid about anything that differs. INTJs are imaginative and detached, and can easily dismiss physical reality for whatever they have determined on cloud 9.

Both types can be very intimidating though, with that no-bullshit stare when you talk to them.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I would be more hard pressed to find a similarity than a difference.

Agreed. Sometimes it amazes me that my sister and my friend only have one letter different. Amazes.

(I'm so into avatars) That OP avatar looks strange for an InTJ. It actually looks a little strange for a ISTJ.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The best way to figure the Si/Ni difference is to catch the ITJs processing new information in real time. Do not give them time to thoughtfully complete their answer.
Yeah, I think this would be about as helpful as you could get--watch their brain process in action. Maybe difficult, but could tell you a whole lot.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I call shenanigans here as well with other similar claims,the N superiority complex on this form rears its ugly head yet again

Agreed. Listen, the primary difference between INTJs and ISTJs is none other than Ni vs. Si.

To quote from the SJ forum:

Si:
"When we use Introverted Sensation, we don't adjust to our surface perceptions. We package them and take them with us--in the form of facts, numbers, signs, and memories."
"When we use Introverted Sensation, we stabilize our immediate sense impressions by integrating them with the ones we remember and care about. We "find ourselves" in whatever is happening, because our perceptions are anchored by what we already know."

Ni:
"Introverted Intuition would prompt us to liberate our sense impressions from their larger context, thereby creating new options for perception itself."
"Introverted Intuition suggests that absolute meaning is an illusion--the result of having incomplete information."
"Where Extraverted Intuitives see many behavioral options, INJs acknowledge many conceptual standpoints. They experience no need to declare one inherently better than another. Indeed, these types have the disconcerting habit of solving a problem by shifting their perspective and defining the situation some other way."

ISTJs are more realistic, practical, and level-headed. They generally have more detailed memories, and do not repeat the same mistakes as they did in the past (because of Si informing them of past).

INTJs live more in the future than ISTJs.

That's pretty much it.

Neither type is smarter.
Neither type is more confident.

theplacesyoullgo

You can get Ni vs. Si in a second, and descriptions of functions have been rehashed to death.

I said in the first sentence I posted on this thread that it was going to come down to N vs. S... but where do we go from there? Theory is interesting, but if I'm reading a thread like this, I'd much rather see people compare instances of behavior than rehash function order.

Also, still not sure how my answer was reflective of an "N superiority complex." Listing (likely) differences between the types isn't asserting one behavior is better than the other.

Petite Etoile

MBTI Type
InTJ
Enneagram
(I'm so into avatars) That OP avatar looks strange for an InTJ. It actually looks a little strange for a ISTJ.

I'm glad you were able to gain so much insight from an avatar photo.

Jaguar

That OP avatar looks strange for an InTJ. It actually looks a little strange for a ISTJ.

Coming from someone with an avatar like yours,
I don't think you have room to judge anyone.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm glad you were able to gain so much insight from an avatar photo.

Why do you have an avatar photo? Why would someone not be able to gain insight from an avatar photo? The avatar is picked specifically by someone to symbolize themselves. I actually didn't mean the picture of you, so much as the type of avatar you chose. Although I believe it is a picture of you and that does factor into it somewhat.

Coming from someone with an avatar like yours,
I don't think you have room to judge anyone.

Oh, give me a break, my avatar practically screams ENFP. It's totally over the top and all about me.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
I think a lot of it is just going to boil down to the difference between N an S, but I'll give it a try:

INTJs are FAR more open to change. INTJs will not fail to make a welcome change just for the sake of trying to avoid something "different." ISTJs absolutely will avoid change at almost all costs and are scared of the unknown. INTJs tend to welcome it to a certain extent (certainly nothing like an ESFP would).

INTJs are more curious about the world around them and "why" questions.

I would say ISTJs are marginally more loyal and much less likely to be cynics. INTJs are more self-confident.

that sounds pretty damn accurate.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INTJs are even more cynical? :ohmy: