• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ti impressions

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm curious how introverted thinking comes off to other types? What is the impression you get from interacting with Ti peeps?

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
:ninja:
Will lurk.

I love my Ti, he's the most healthy and mature of my functions. *Pats Ti, Ti doesn't seem to notice.*

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'd like to see responses to this question too.

I think Ti is what causes a lot of the "aloof and detached" descriptions.

I've also heard "difficult to hold a *normal* conversation with" (from SJ's and SP's), arrogant or uninterested in others, etc.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I'd like to see responses to this question too.

I've also heard "difficult to hold a *normal* conversation with" (from SJ's and SP's), arrogant or uninterested in others, etc.

Being Ti, it's hard to have a normal conversation with everyone else I'd suppose. Ti is nitpicking at it's finest.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
STPs have "gut logic". they dont reflect, they will hear the argument of 1,2,3,4,5 steps and simply spew out what their gut thinks. no reflection.
NTPs have "gut logic" powered by superior intuition. they wont really have to think much either, but at least they are pretty damn smart.

yes. i am biased :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yeah, even when it's just normal conversation, the Ti is treating everything said as a rational statement meant to be deconstructed. Non-Ti people generally don't work like that.

G

Glycerine

People with dom Ti (INTP) to me come off exceptionally analytical, sarcastic, biting but funny sense of humor, go over my head, and usually tend to be smart individuals. I like them but usually find their strong analytical skills intimidating. NOTE: I don't really know any ISTPs.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I've heard these statements said about me:

"I can hear those wheels spinning in your head!" :thelook:

"He's analyzing us, but keeping the thoughts to himself." :ninja:

"cold and calculating"

"heartless bastard" [:shock:]

redacted

STPs have "gut logic". they dont reflect, they will hear the argument of 1,2,3,4,5 steps and simply spew out what their gut thinks. no reflection.
NTPs have "gut logic" powered by superior intuition. they wont really have to think much either, but at least they are pretty damn smart.

yes. i am biased :D

Lol, not only are you biased, but you're completely wrong.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ti is cold, calculating, detached and abstract. I admire it in more objective situations, but when this approach is taken with something that is important to me, it kind of sucks. If I know that's your main function and that's how you take approach to most things, I will try to accept it and not hold judgment or take it too personally. However, if I'm close with the person, I expect closeness and some subjectivity dammit.

Synthetic Darkness

Ti alone is a cold, calculating and objective but if you pair it up with Fe I wouldn't think it would get to that extreme, STP/NTPs with balanced levels of Ti and Fe can use Ti to the best of its ability without coming off as "cold".

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
I have posed this question to friends of mine, and will post their opinions along with their personality types in the near future. However, it should be noted that such impressions will be of Ti as observed in an INTP male.

Girlfriend (ENFJ) - Uncompromising, intense, cold, logical, rational, one-sided.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lol, not only are you biased, but you're completely wrong.

Ti run through Se is gut logic. Based on my experience of interacting with 100's of STPs, it seems to be a likely conclusion. When they are playing with their hands as mechanics or whatever, it is natural "gut level" logic that leads them to simply build connections between objects and processes.

Ti run through Ne, IMO, works completely different. So to talk about Ti in a vacuum is frankly, retarded.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry, the post topic should have said Ti doms. Now that we have that out of the way...

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah, even when it's just normal conversation, the Ti is treating everything said as a rational statement meant to be deconstructed. Non-Ti people generally don't work like that.

Heh I naturally interpret every statement I hear literally.

A) It makes me really suck at small talk. Them: "How is that daughter of yours?" Me: "Good." Then I say nothing else lol.

B) It makes it hard for me to communicate with some really high F people who do who rarely say anything they literally mean. Even when I figure out what they mean, they still don't know what I mean even though I literally mean exactly what I am saying. I don't know how to communicate more clearly than to mean exactly what I say, but I occasionally meet people who have trouble understanding this.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A) It makes me really suck at small talk. Them: "How is that daughter of yours?" Me: "Good." Then I say nothing else lol.

Accompanied (for me) by me thinking, "I wonder why she asked me that, what is her purpose here? Was she being sincere? She's not doing anything inconsistent and conversation is within the normal bounds of polite casual interaction, so chances are she was. And while I did say good, my daughter is a composite of strengths and weaknesses including <a, b,c ... z>, I wonder if 'good' was the best nuanced qualifier to assess my daughter..." etc.

Now you get another reason why I avoided interaction for so long. It's exhausting.

When I eventually realized the majority of people remain on the casual level and I was WAY overthinking all this, the rules got reduced to this:

1. Environment: Casual.
2. Question: Casual
Thus, 3. Answer: Casual, no more need to think about it, they really didn't want to know a lot more. If they do they'll ask. I typically now would say, "Good" and then throw on a little tag of something she is up to or that she enjoys, to see if they want to go further; if they do, I do; if not, I stop.

But you can see why Ti socializing is laborious, and why, because we actually respond to what was asked -- no more, no less -- and take time to learn the 'social rules of engagement,' people might think we are aloof, or unengaged, or argumentative, or whatever.

B) It makes it hard for me to communicate with some really high F people who do who rarely say anything they literally mean. Even when I figure out what they mean, they still don't know what I mean even though I literally mean exactly what I am saying. I don't know how to communicate more clearly than to mean exactly what I say, but I occasionally meet people who have trouble understanding this.

To go along with that, it's the illusion of understanding that scares me. Because at this point I've realized that I might think I understood what they meant, but I easily might have been wrong, and there's no good way for me to check, so any conversation I have is fraught with potholes and landmines that might blow up a few weeks from now.

(the majority are not that bad, but I've had a few REALLY bad friendships where I got repeatedly bitten despite my best efforts, and it unnerved me.)

B

brainheart

Ti is cold, calculating, detached and abstract. I admire it in more objective situations, but when this approach is taken with something that is important to me, it kind of sucks. If I know that's your main function and that's how you take approach to most things, I will try to accept it and not hold judgment or take it too personally. However, if I'm close with the person, I expect closeness and some subjectivity dammit.

According to Jungian Lenore Thomson, Ti is actually subjective because it is an individual, perceptual logic vs the universal objectivity of extraverted thinking. In other words, dominant introverted thinkers have a unique way of assessing situations and problems while dominant Te- users adhere to established laws of logic. Not to be nitpicky or anything...