User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ti impressions

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Heh I naturally interpret every statement I hear literally.
    Literal interpretation of language: isn't that a sensing thing?

Senior Member Array alcea rosea's Avatar

My impressions of primary Ti users:
    - reserved
    - not emotional or "warm" emotionally
    - very stable
    - very logical
    - not necessarily too friendly when met at first time (not necessarily the second time either, or third or ever)
    - don't have the need to please other people
    - don't have the need to think how other people thing
    - don't have the need to agree with people
    - are independent thinkers
    - don't need others to support their thoughts/causes
    - very interesting when they let you to know them
    - very interesting thought process

1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    According to Jungian Lenore Thomson, Ti is actually subjective because it is an individual, perceptual logic vs the universal objectivity of extraverted thinking. In other words, dominant introverted thinkers have a unique way of assessing situations and problems while dominant Te- users adhere to established laws of logic. Not to be nitpicky or anything...
    more evidence for my idea of calling Ti "gut logic"

How does primary Ti compare with tertiary Ti(as in INFJs)?

Widdles in your cream. Array

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Copypasta'd from a reliable* source:

As a Tertiary Function, Ti leads IFJs to.... ?
    ...."advise others on the wisdom of their choices"(edited from Lenorep.231 on INFJs.) vis a vis Ti as a primary attribute. Also, tertiary Ti leads to an important emphasis on personal experience. Yet unlike dominant and secondary Ti, tertiary Ti can often lead sweeping generalizations induced from sparse evidence. Tertiary Ti leads can lead to a narcissistic focus on your own experience, or the experience of people who stand with you. If someone disagrees with you, then they must be naive. This kind of narrow view is often used defensively. Especially when combined with dominant Ni, tertiary Ti can be used to defend bizarre theories that are completely unfalsifiable.

*Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    I think Ti is what causes a lot of the "aloof and detached" descriptions.
    I get aloof a lot from others. In younger years, I got arrogance as well, but I seem to have tempered that one somehow. It's not that I'm detached ... it's just that I give a lot of thought to what I say ... and usually, I'm still thinking about it.

548 sp/sx

Tertiary Ti will also look up to the stronger Ti of TP's, but it can also be intimidated by it as well.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Tenured roisterer Array SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    To be a certain type means to have a strong natural predispositions towards a certain way of cognition.

If you are a Ti dominant, then you have the strongest predisposition to reason dispassionately and to be inspired to reason by the inner world (I) rather than items outside of you.

Having Ti as a third function means that although the above described process is prominent in your psychic economy, or you are somewhat comfortable reasoning dispassionately in response to the stimuli that have been delivered from the inner world. However, somewhat is the key word here. Since Ti is the third function, there are other ways of functioning that are much more natural to you.

Because other functions are more natural to you, they are likely to be used with greater frequency and competence. (The more you use a function, the more competent you are likely to be at using it.) In addition to this, take note of the Hegelian master slave dialect in typology. Our lower functions are often employed as serfs to our higher functions. (E.G, note how a dominant Feeling type often uses Thinking to support his or her emotional convictions, or how the dominant Thinking type often uses Feeling to give emotional affirmation to the conclusions established by a reasoning process, or that is simply trying to program oneself to feel a certain way.)

This takes me back to the question regarding the distinction between the type that has Thinking as the primary function and a type that has Thinking as the tertiary function. The dominant Thinking type relies on Thinking first and foremost. Dispassionate reasoning is often seen as an end in itself by the person in possession of the type in question. However, the case of a person in a possession of a type where Thinking is a tertiary function is quite different. Thinking is the serf to the secondary and the primary type. (In the case of the INFJ, it is intuition and feeling.) Hence, Thinking is seen as not an end in itself but merely an instrument that is used to support convictions that have been establishing by virtue of Intuition and Feeling.

The above paragraphs described the nature of Tertiary Thinking. The question that follows is, how is tertiary Introverted Thinking distinct from tertiary Extroverted Thinking? Even more pertinently, what is the hallmark of Tertiary Ti. Thinking is most easily inspired by matters of the inner life rather than the external world. The IFJ is more likely to be the most comfortable solving problems that are relevant to his circumstances or some kind of a psychological state that he experiences. The EFP by contrast is more likely to be more comfortable solving a problem that has clear-cut applications to the external world.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog:

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Accompanied (for me) by me thinking, "I wonder why she asked me that, what is her purpose here? Was she being sincere? She's not doing anything inconsistent and conversation is within the normal bounds of polite casual interaction, so chances are she was. And while I did say good, my daughter is a composite of strengths and weaknesses including <a, b,c ... z>, I wonder if 'good' was the best nuanced qualifier to assess my daughter..." etc.

Now you get another reason why I avoided interaction for so long. It's exhausting.
    Wow that is kinda nuts. I personally tend to take each question at face value and answer concisely. I was told by a lawyer once, that I was the perfect witness lol. Now I am just starting to get to the point where I sometimes think "Hey they are just trying to make conversation. Maybe I can throw in some other little anecdote...."

When I was younger the only way I really got to know people is that I had to be in a group where I could throw weird/witty/funny comments, and if someone liked that then that eventually broke the ice enough that we could get to know each other better.

But you can see why Ti socializing is laborious, and why, because we actually respond to what was asked -- no more, no less -- and take time to learn the 'social rules of engagement,' people might think we are aloof, or unengaged, or argumentative, or whatever.
    Yeah that describes me pretty well. The only part I don't relate to is all the extra analyzing underneath. I guess that is what separates the Ti-doms from the Ti-auxs.

To go along with that, it's the illusion of understanding that scares me. Because at this point I've realized that I might think I understood what they meant, but I easily might have been wrong, and there's no good way for me to check, so any conversation I have is fraught with potholes and landmines that might blow up a few weeks from now.
    This is probably another difference. If I'm not sure what someone meant then'll I rephrase a question several different ways and use active listening and all that to close any communication gaps. Although with heavy F types all of that activity can sometimes make communication even more muddled. Like they might not understand how I'm trying to clarify things and instead the mutual confusion simply grows.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)

actinomycetes Array raindancing's Avatar
    4w5 sx/sp

The only INTP I know is my husband, some things I've noticed about him:

- Quite a few people are intimidated by him, most often female ESFJs but also some male ISFJs and some male and female ESTJs.

I have the most experience with how ESFJs see him, so here is a bit more of my perspective on that.

ESFJ's view:

- unapproachable
    - intelligent
    - cold
    - critical
    - intelligent
    - stubborn
    - intelligent

I have had some come to me worried that he didn't like them and wanting to know why. You can also tell from their body language whenever he comes into the room and the fact that they very rarely address him. Questions will be directed to me in a round about sort of way. Some have made remarks (when he wasn't around) about how smart he is, with almost a reverent or hushed voice (it's very weird).
    All of this is probably because he doesn't say much around them. If he finds conversation boring, he will just sit there and not say anything. Not in an aggressive way, just not interested. Then when he does say something, they invariably give it huge significance (this is quite amusing, they do this even when he says something that from anyone else would be taken as a normal comment). It seems there are two main things that throw them off: his lack of playing by normal social rules and their view of him being more intelligent than them. Both of these things cause them to be unsure how to interact with him.

INFP (me):

It's a little tricky for me to separate the Ne from the Ti; when we're together he can be quite silly.

- Intelligent (of course)
    - Calm and collected
    - Analyzing

Hmm I'm having trouble thinking of things that are just Ti... everything is too interconnected.

Other random things:
    - Has a hard time sticking with things (figure it out and then gets bored). This is particularly noticeable in computer games. He's so excited to play a new one, but I can't think of the last time he finished one.
    - Great sense of humour
    - Doesn't care what other people think about him
    - Dislikes things that are commonly seen as trendy/cool. Has a negative bias (which he admits) toward things that are popular
    - Dislikes things that are obvious or unsubtle (in movies, music, conversation, etc)
    - Can be very critical of other people in an observational way
    - Not critical of me
    - Reacts strongly (for him) against anything he perceives as manipulation. ()
    - And many many more things that I can't think of right now because I'm too tired.
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky