• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTP's and developping Fi.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've personally experienced a hardship after which I pretty much dropped Fe and effectively became 'unemotional'. Not really a sociopath, although I suppose I appeared as one.

By focusing more on Ne, and neglecting my Ti (because Ti was too hard to fool). And ofcourse usage of alcohol (So I didn't have to bother with Ti), I thought was the only way of dealing with the trauma. Since using Fe would just be like a bomb going off and ultimatly I wanted to prevent myself from doing more harm. However, I did feel like I just wanted to be 'along for the ride'. Essentially unexistant. I wanted to be a shadow amongst people.

After some time, in a rather confronting situation (approximatly 2 years after the traumatizing event) the realization came that I really needed to change.

This is when I developped a strong Fi over the course of a year in order to put everything back into perspective and align myself once more to society. Now, I had no knowledge of cognative functions at the time, this was a natural process for me. But by starting focusing inwards, feeding an internal 'scale of justice' with my Ti-Ne. Processing information with the aim to live a better life. As well as the realization that Ti-Ne is not infallable. And that life is too short to live solely by facts. I felt I had to fill in enough gaps with Fi. So I did, dealt with the trauma and ever feeling awesome and great now. Within reason ofcourse. As far as my Ti allows.

I notice much more INTP's with a high Fi as well, and wondered if they too got it, due to dealing with hardship?

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
i didnt think intps could ever use Fi because it's their last function.
i dont know. ask solitary walker.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's my third strongest cognative function. :p

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************ (24.8)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************** (14.7)
unused
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************** (44.1)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************* (33.3)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *************************** (27.5)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************************************* (44)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********* (9.5)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************************************** (42.9)
excellent use

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
perhaps you've been brought up with Fi values. you obviously value Fi (i think), so you mimic it.... ?
sorry, i dont even know why im posting on this subject
i just want attention :cry:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ehh no, I wasn't brought up with Fi values at all. My father is ESTJ and my mother ENTJ. And I have an ENTP brother and an ESFJ sister.

If anything, I didn't mimic a damned thing. :p

I was living a seriously unhealthy life and knew I needed to change. Using Fi was the only option I think. :p

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
sometimes i feel that finally being intune with my own emotions is the antidote to my curse.
anyway, both my F scores are rock bottom. by Ti and Ne are both really strong and practically equal. because of this i find that i attract people very easily and it goes along easily until they want more... then i hit a wall and hurt someone.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fi doesn't help much with social interaction either though. But you have a high Ne, and that should be enough? :)

You can mimick Fe, but (probably due to my Fi) I can't get myself to mimick Fe in relationships that matter to me. I only mimick it for business, towards customers, etc. For work basicly.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
Fi doesn't help much with social interaction either though. But you have a high Ne, and that should be enough? :)

in the begining. think dexter:
"[My S.O] wants me to take it to the next level. Problem is i don't have a next level"

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
i didnt think intps could ever use Fi because it's their last function.
i dont know. ask solitary walker.

My bet is he'll tell you that INTPs use Fe, but it appears very introverted due to the strong introverted tendencies of the INTP.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I notice much more INTP's with a high Fi as well, and wondered if they too got it, due to dealing with hardship?

I'm 40. I really had no real Fi until the last two years of my life. It is only because I had to make a really really difficult life choice to honor my self-identity and make tremendously large changes in my life, because I was dying otherwise.

Until that point, I kept trying to logic through it. Finally my logic led me to the notion that I had to honor who I was. And it told me I had to have my own valueset. And it told me I had to finally know who I was and become my own person instead of constantly trying to be logical or trying to always honor everyone else's needs above my own.

This act of learning to honor the self is Fi-intensive. Basically, I had to accept that there were things I wanted and valued that, even if I couldn't intellectually justify them, they were valued and needed to be honored anyway. They were ends in themselves.

But if I had not been on the verge of death, I doubt I would have had enough desperation and courage to accept them as intrinsic truths for me. I cannot justify what I needed and what I valued. Those things just were. Finally I accepted that, and made changes to accommodate them.

Until that point in my life, I consistently ignored my own feelings. I had trouble making decisions and having preferences. I was often ambivalent. It was funny that after I made this change in my orientation, I also felt more alive and happier and unique as a person. I finally had opinions of my own. In the past, Ti had squelched them.

So yeah, I think with any type, often hardship is the only thing that forces us to go beyond the bounds of our natural self and learn other methods of dealing. Adversity is good for us.

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
perhaps you've been brought up with Fi values. you obviously value Fi (i think), so you mimic it.... ?
sorry, i dont even know why im posting on this subject
i just want attention :cry:

What do you mean Fi values? I thought Fi meant personal, therefore there wasn't a societal value one could mimic?

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
What do you mean Fi values? I thought Fi meant personal, therefore there wasn't a societal value one could mimic?

i see where you're comming from.

i meant that maybe fluffywolf came to conclusions about himself that Fi would usually tell him by other means.

i thinkk.

sorry, im not confident at all in this subject.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Fi? You want to use Fi? You'll hurt yourself if you do, like a double backward somersault of the pier that lands you on your head.

You can develop a value system that includes respecting yourself if you want. I'd encourage it in fact. But if you walk around calling that introverted feeling, then you might well be doing an injustice to how your actual feelings work.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I will just repeat my old opinion : The entire function order thing is nonsense.

But we can debate this.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Moved from OTHER Psychology Topics to MBTI, Enneagram, and Other Personality Matrices!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Hmm... with ESTJ and ENTJ parents then Fi is implicit in your upbringing. Personally I had an ENTJ father and my mother and sister were ISFJ and ENFJ respectively so I'm not clear as to how I developed Fi but at some point the Fe usage seems to have taken route.

As for trials and tribulations, yes I've had a few and I guess they have given me confidence but my internal values are more a combination of Fe and Ti than any Fi as far as I understand it. I still can't tell you what makes me happy but I can lay down values for which I would sacrifice much even though it makes little logical sense.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In this case, I would say to look at Lenore Thomson's right-brain alternative theory. That would explain Fi coming up in traumatic life experiences where Ti could not solve the problem. She holds it, as Beebe's "Demonic/Daimonic Personality" complex (destructive/transformative), coming up only under those situations. I would say Jennifer's example especially would fit that. Other everyday instances, it is not certain whether it is a demon archetype, or just undifferentiated Feeling (like normal emotion. Fe and Fi are otherwise both normally rejected).
The OP is saying it was a "hardship" that shifted the functions, so it could be.

See also:
John Beebe Archetypes | Lenore Thomson Bentz

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In this case, I would say to look at Lenore Thomson's right-brain alternative theory. That would explain Fi coming up in traumatic life experiences where Ti could not solve the problem. She holds it, as Beebe's "Demonic/Daimonic Personality" complex (destructive/transformative), coming up only under those situations. I would say Jennifer's example especially would fit that. Other everyday instances, it is not certain whether it is a demon archetype, or just undifferentiated Feeling (like normal emotion. Fe and Fi are otherwise both normally rejected).
The OP is saying it was a "hardship" that shifted the functions, so it could be.

See also:
John Beebe Archetypes | Lenore Thomson Bentz

Thanks, that's pretty interesting.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see Fi as a sort of internal scale where you measure things based on emotional response. Like a replacement for Ni for me. When Ni isn't helping.

At least that's it for me.