User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Inferior Se

Default Inferior Se

What is it?? WHAT DOES IT DO?! i don't know! :confused:

(seriously, how does it show itself, or not show itself, in INJs? It seems to be the only function and order combination I don't have a good grasp of yet. The best I've heard is that it turns you into a sensotard, but then how do you discern that from just not having Se in your four functions?)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Check Berens' Understanding Yourself and Others: A Guide to the Personality Type Code. Someone once linked to one of those books on Scribd, and I just checked, but can't find any of them. That one gives a good summary of inferior Se.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

According to Typelogic.com:

"Sensing serves with a good will, or not at all. As other inferior functions, it has only a rudimentary awareness of context, amount or degree. Thus INTJs sweat the details or, at times, omit them. "I've made up my mind, don't confuse me with the facts" could well have been said by an INTJ on a mission. Sensing's extraverted attitude is evident in this type's bent to savor sensations rather than to merely categorize them. Indiscretions of indulgence are likely an expression of the unconscious vengeance of the inferior."

There's probably more to it, but I'm having a hard time coming up with anything at the moment. I've heard it described as the aspirational function, and it seems like many INXJs take up sensory-oriented activities like riding motorcycles (or sometimes heavy drinking). In myself I see it occasionally as a fall back when Ni-Te doesn't solve a problem, and I choose to ignore details and plans and just "wing it", addressing the problem moment-by-moment. The rest of the time, when it isn't enabled, I have very little awareness of what's going on around me.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

Enneagram
    1w2

I have noticed with my INxJ certain peculiar fears that they have that I don't know how to chalk up. I've assumed they've been related to inferior Se, which in turn magnifies their extraverted judging. Here are a couple of examples:

Earlier this summer, we had several very powerful thunderstorms come through the area. One of my INFJ friends was in a completely tizzy because she believed a tree would fall on her car. She left work early one day in particular to move her car. The other days, she worried incessantly about a tree falling on her car.

The same INFJ says she wishes she didn't have to eat, that she could just open up her stomach and shove food in. She says she likes to eat, but not because of the taste...she just likes to chew.

Another time, the INFJ went on a mad frenzy trying to find a plastic mattress slip cover because she was afraid bedbugs would infest her mattress. Not unreasonable, but her fervor was pretty hilarious.

The INTJ has less pronounced quirks, but he also has some obsession with acts of nature especially and being unprepared for some freak occurrence.

This somewhat looks like inferior Ne, but I notice that the fears tend be rooted in lack of control of the external physical environment and that it will overtake them or something the care about and they won't be equipped to handle it. They don't have that aesthete or connoisseur air that I typically associate with pronounced Si-doms.

So these are my real life examples of inferior Se.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Protean, those are some great examples. I think Enneagram 5 (possibly 4s too, but I couldn't be sure) INXJs especially have a fear of not being prepared for uncontrollable external events, but I had somehow not connected this with inferior Se.

I have this need to be prepared for every possible contingency when I drive anywhere 30 minutes or more from my house. I write out several sets of directions for how to get there and back (in case of traffic) or to other places in the area. I tape it to the console in lieu of a GPS I also leave myself insane amounts of time before I go anywhere, just in case something comes up (luckily this means I am rarely late ). Once I'm driving, I relax, but the preparation for it can be a little nutty
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by greenlightwiki.com
    As an inferior function, Se often leads INJs in either (or both) of two directions: to shun everything of a bodily nature as corrupt and animal (e.g. Immanuel Kant), or to crave "letting loose" and table-dancing or delivering some serious violence.

In the grip of the inferior function, they try to make others feel weak by displays of physical power (or trying to get others to compare themselves with physically powerful people), but usually end up only making themselves feel like helpless bugs. "See how POWERFUL I am? See my ANIMAL MAGNETISM?" Some get into guns or karate, taking an off-kilter delight in fantasies of getting into a confrontation with someone and surprising the hell out of them with the damage they can do (see Taxi Driver). Some idolize jazz musicians as people who are completely in touch with their animal selves, able to "let go". Some join academic cliques where the object is to make other people feel unpopular by snubbing them for not being up on the latest intellectual fashions--a sort of faux popularity contest, where the wider social standards are reversed and the most unintelligible gibberish gets the most attention.

Some use esoteric jazz or modern art to make a twisted marriage of Ni and Se: "It might sound like an incoherent mish-mash of notes to you, but that only shows that you lack the finer discernment of the really cool people." A different way, perhaps the genuine reunification with the inferior function, is to find an unconditional pleasure in "the now" and a peaceful, live-and-let-live philosophy--enjoying each moment, "being present" no matter what comes.
    INTP | IEI - INFp

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrant View Post
    In the grip of the inferior function, they try to make others feel weak by displays of physical power (or trying to get others to compare themselves with physically powerful people), but usually end up only making themselves feel like helpless bugs. "See how POWERFUL I am? See my ANIMAL MAGNETISM?" Some get into guns or karate, taking an off-kilter delight in fantasies of getting into a confrontation with someone and surprising the hell out of them with the damage they can do (see Taxi Driver).

First thing that comes to mind is Ahnold(commonly typed INTJ)"

"LOOK AT MY MUSCLES OR I WILL TERMINATE YOU!"
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

deleted

I like how they organized the function roles here, but there are better sites out there

The 16 Type Patterns

I've always looked pretty immature when using Se. Ygolo gave a good example of his friend's inferior Se by noting there was a lack of plan involved, and something about being lost in a subway station and freaking out. I can't remember it all in detail really, but this site does an alright job trying to explain it, and I relate to what it says. I know there is more detail written on these somewhere.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrant View Post
    As an inferior function, Se often leads INJs in either (or both) of two directions: to shun everything of a bodily nature as corrupt and animal (e.g. Immanuel Kant), or to crave "letting loose" and table-dancing or delivering some serious violence.

In the grip of the inferior function, they try to make others feel weak by displays of physical power (or trying to get others to compare themselves with physically powerful people), but usually end up only making themselves feel like helpless bugs. "See how POWERFUL I am? See my ANIMAL MAGNETISM?" Some get into guns or karate, taking an off-kilter delight in fantasies of getting into a confrontation with someone and surprising the hell out of them with the damage they can do (see Taxi Driver). Some idolize jazz musicians as people who are completely in touch with their animal selves, able to "let go". Some join academic cliques where the object is to make other people feel unpopular by snubbing them for not being up on the latest intellectual fashions--a sort of faux popularity contest, where the wider social standards are reversed and the most unintelligible gibberish gets the most attention.

Some use esoteric jazz or modern art to make a twisted marriage of Ni and Se: "It might sound like an incoherent mish-mash of notes to you, but that only shows that you lack the finer discernment of the really cool people." A different way, perhaps the genuine reunification with the inferior function, is to find an unconditional pleasure in "the now" and a peaceful, live-and-let-live philosophy--enjoying each moment, "being present" no matter what comes.
    This one seems very accurate to me for a particular INTJ I know. Very, very smart, but always talking about willingness to fight people, or how he is bigger than most and can take them.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

For some reason, I think of this when I think of Se:

[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhFV5-qbbIw"]Donkey Kong[/youtube]

Don't know if that makes any sense, though... I think it might be what Se looks like to me through the filters of Ni, Fe, and Ti.