User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Inferior Se

deleted

I feel sorry for that plumber, but yes I like this analogy. It fits some Se themes, like awareness, reactivity, and status enhancement.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    What is it?? WHAT DOES IT DO?! i don't know! :confused:

(seriously, how does it show itself, or not show itself, in INJs? It seems to be the only function and order combination I don't have a good grasp of yet. The best I've heard is that it turns you into a sensotard, but then how do you discern that from just not having Se in your four functions?)
    Ok, so I haven't read any of the other responses, and I'm not going to post a cognitive function blurb from the internet either.

I'm gonna give you a slant on how I see inferior Se in a positive, healthy manner, within myself.

Actually I think it ends up being a pretty substantial element to what I'll call my life philosophy and the 'foundation' of my path. It means in the back of my mind, I'm always wanting to live life to the fullest, I'm wanting to embrace new experiences/sights/sounds, these new things excite me and bring zest to my life, and every now and then I feel quite stagnant, and need to shake things up - and often Se is an element required that enables me to 'let go' and overcome my fears and live in the moment, even if momentarily, and embrace the simpler, more elemental aspects of life.

On the more negative end, yes, I can relate to in the past vacillating, at times, between a more Immanuel Kant-esque view of things and shunning/scoffing at a lot of materialistic things and tangibles, vs. just letting go in the name of having fun and drinking a lot. ha.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    The INTJ has less pronounced quirks, but he also has some obsession with acts of nature especially and being unprepared for some freak occurrence.

This somewhat looks like inferior Ne, but I notice that the fears tend be rooted in lack of control of the external physical environment and that it will overtake them or something the care about and they won't be equipped to handle it.
    Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    Protean, those are some great examples. I think Enneagram 5 (possibly 4s too, but I couldn't be sure) INXJs especially have a fear of not being prepared for uncontrollable external events, but I had somehow not connected this with inferior Se.

I have this need to be prepared for every possible contingency when I drive anywhere 30 minutes or more from my house. I write out several sets of directions for how to get there and back (in case of traffic) or to other places in the area. I tape it to the console in lieu of a GPS I also leave myself insane amounts of time before I go anywhere, just in case something comes up (luckily this means I am rarely late ). Once I'm driving, I relax, but the preparation for it can be a little nutty
    Sounds very familiar.

=============================

Hmmm... Although I consciously prefer Si over Se, due to ease of control, I think I'm considerably better at Se in actuality. I distrust extroverted sensing enough to avoid going along with the first immediate opportunity, without extensive planning. My major fault lies within over-planning to maneuver past these unexpected obstacles.

Having completed the Fi development, I am currently working on trusting (and strengthening) extroverted sensing, because even if I disregarded my impulses, they will subconsciously appear into my decisions anyway. I could never think in a linear Si manner, and Se is shown when I do pull off excellent results, as I allow myself to think at the spur of the moment. (Imagine being told all your life the best way to plan daily is to schedule every single minute!) Despite inferior Se being helpful, I still instinctively reject it. (Except when I use it to crush my opponents in sports and debates.)

I'm looking into the STP mindset, specifically fellow Chart-The-Course ISTPs, for assistance in deriving the most of Se, in a manner that can effectively advance my decision-making style.

Since I've expanded on Se, I found it much easier to interact with the sensing population. I underestimated how much they relied on reading visible ques and what's happening now.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

Sensory overload

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Great thread! I have the book by Naomi Quenk about inferior functions, but somehow the descriptions were vague enough to not really resonate; what has been said in this thread really feels like my experience. I hadn't thought INFJ fit 100% partly for this reason, but now that incongruency has been resolved. So I'm about 95% confident I'm INFJ with Ti sufficiently developed as to act like an auxiliary.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I relate to the following:

Lack of details: Ni and Ti or Fe produce a thought, and the connections will seem solid and obvious in my mind, but when Se tries to put it into words everything seems all muddled. Like, why can't I just draw you a picture?

Fear of lack of control of the external world:
    I am somewhat obsessed with preparation for disaster, and preparation in general. I really enjoy it. I like researching methods of being self sufficient, sustainable, environmentally friendly, and ever more efficient (and saving money).

Fears:
    I am afraid of quite a lot. Failure, physical danger, mysterious things in the dark like ghosts, the government, uneducated country people coming after me, fundamentalist religious people coming after me, to name a few. I used to have recurring dreams about tornadoes and having to hide, and I still have dreams of getting caught in floods and deep water. I distrust doctors and avoid them.

Dualistic relationship with the body:
    I am both attached and detached from my body. I'm a lot more comfortable with it than I used to be, but physical things still seem weird to me sometimes. Physical intimacy in particular was something I had to get used to. I've never consciously believed that sensual things were bad, but I know the feeling was there in my unconsciousness. Consciously I try to refute this attitude because it's not healthy. Philosophically, I try to strike a balance between asceticism and hedonism, like Epicureanism (the use of reason is the key), or just aim for moderation. Excess has always been something I've had a strong negative reaction to; I want to make all my decisions consciously, especially those of a sensual nature.

I also relate to learning to live in the moment and the other positive things @cascadeco mentioned, and my development of Se I'm sure has helped me have a lot of fun with the SP's.

Another thing which hasn't been mentioned is high sensitivity to sensory stimuli. I always know if music is playing in stores and restaurants, and it can easily get annoying because I can't ignore it. Strong smells really bother me, including incense. Irritations in clothing can become very distracting. Someone humming or singing while I'm trying to think is very distracting. Sometimes people talking loudly really hurts my ears, and other loud noises which don't bother other people are painful to me.

On the positive side I'm very observant, and I've been described as physically graceful.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Great thread! I have the book by Naomi Quenk about inferior functions, but somehow the descriptions were vague enough to not really resonate; what has been said in this thread really feels like my experience. I hadn't thought INFJ fit 100% partly for this reason, but now that incongruency has been resolved. So I'm about 95% confident I'm INFJ with Ti sufficiently developed as to act like an auxiliary.
    Agreed.

You seem to be very into exercise. Has this always been the case, or is it a more recent development? Are you ever interested in the competitive aspect of it?

For me, when I engage in something physical (which is rarely, but this should probably change), I am indifferent to the competitive aspect, and am incapable of taking this too seriously.

I wonder if this is a Si trait. My dad's an ISTJ, and apparently in high school, he was pretty good at swimming, but he never talked about this or bragged about it. (I also haven't seen him swim in a while, but that's probably because of things that aren't related to type.)
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Agreed.

You seem to be very into exercise. Has this always been the case, or is it a more recent development? Are you ever interested in the competitive aspect of it?

For me, when I engage in something physical (which is rarely, but this should probably change), I am indifferent to the competitive aspect, and am incapable of taking this too seriously.

I wonder if this is a Si trait. My dad's an ISTJ, and apparently in high school, he was pretty good at swimming, but he never talked about this or bragged about it. (I also haven't seen him swim in a while, but that's probably because of things that aren't related to type.)
    Yes, and yes. Being good at and competent at physical things has always been one of my greatest pleasures. I haven't really had the follow-through to be competitive at things until recently (too much ADD E-7 stuff), but I've always fantasized about it. I'm getting to the point where I could be. But really it's just about always becoming better, because I like being able to do things.

That's funny, I never really understood just not caring about stuff like that.