User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Default Do you have J-dar and is it reliable?

I've long believed I can tell whether most people are Js or Ps just by watching them interact with me or other people a little bit. I can't identify specific kinds of body language I'm picking up on or explain exactly what I'm referring to, so I'm wondering how many agree that you can get an accurate first impression about it. I can't think of any times that I've later decided a first impression about it was wrong, but of course that could be due to confirmation bias.

The best way I can describe it, though remember it's really just a vague feeling I'm retrospectively interpreting, is that Js seem more reserved in a particular way, regardless of how open, expressive, extroverted and engaged they are. It's as if they're conserving some of their energy or continually re-evaluating the situation, giving the sense that some aspect of their immediate reactions is held back or just overshadowed while other processes are going on. I've only really started wondering how accurate this J-dar thing is since realising that some people analyse those they know quite thoroughly to decide, suggesting they don't have it or don't trust it.

What do you think?

MBTI
    ISTP

Being a J myself, I've got a P-dar. Many people around me are Ps, and they seem to notice the differences in my personality- not so much using typology terms, but just in general. They tell me I'm always very blunt and straightforward and that I could be a little nicer, but I don't see anything wrong with how I do things. Also, it's an automatic expectation that my side of the room is going to be in pristine condition compared to all of theirs. I think I need to clean it up, but when I look at someone else's room, it's 10 times worse.

Phantonym

I think I do have both the P- and J-dars and I can't explain what kind of things I pick up from people either. Things just click when I see little clues revealed in front of me, seeing the patterns I can associate with dichotomies. I don't perform a thorough analysis of people. Gut feeling is a big part of the process.

I have no way of knowing how reliable it actually is because I don't make people take the tests very often. It doesn't really seem that important. Although, the times I have introduced the MBTI to people and they've taken the test, I've been correct 100%.

MBTI
    INTP

No, I don't have J-dar. In fact I'm pretty terrible at telling a person's type until I get to know them well. However I am starting to see patterns, like "this guy is a lot like this other guy whom I think is ESTP," and "this girl has a manner of speaking that is similar to this INTJ I know."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I have a radar for "whole" types but not for specific characteristics - I find different J types to be too different among each other to be able to pinpoint something.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

Js are easy to spot. I think their little obsessive-compulsive traits, lists, and schedules are cute.

MBTI
    ISTP

Another thing I forgot to mention is that my J preference is extremely strong, so I may mistype some people as P or only very modestly J when in fact they are J but just not so much as I am.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I have a radar for "whole" types but not for specific characteristics - I find different J types to be too different among each other to be able to pinpoint something.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticus View Post
    Js are easy to spot. I think their little obsessive-compulsive traits, lists, and schedules are cute.
    Haha...joke, right?

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

It's really interesting that some people have a gut feeling for people's whole type. I don't put much stock in online type descriptions because the sampling for them sounds to have been a bit flawed, but I do sometimes get the sense of a complete type from someone, mainly if their preferences are all very strong, I think. But knowing J from P in particular seems an interesting thing to get a gut feeling about, because the way these things are measured officially has nothing directly to do with styles of social interaction or body language. Yet, more often than not when I meet someone, after a fairly brief exchange I just can't envision them as planning, organised people, or as laid-back, improvising people, and as I get to know them and their lifestyle I find this impression was right.

I agree that combinations can seem to affect the manifestation of each preference though. In particular, I sometimes have trouble telling male introverted SFs from introverted NTs, especially when one preference is much stronger than the other. But to me, the J and P (in almost everyone other than myself - can't observe myself objectively) seem to leak out as detectable qualities independent of the other traits.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    Haha...joke, right?
    No I really do. The way they come into work and the first thing they do is sharpen their pencils and line them up according to length. . . all that stuff.

And their head-shaking bewilderment and disapproval of my disorderly lifestyle is also amusing.