• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you have J-dar and is it reliable?

lastrailway

No, i can't easily tell Js and Ps apart (well, I can't even tell apart Is and Es sometimes). But, after I've known someone for sometime, I might start getting some more specific vibes, i.e. I might get something that resembles to what I consider as Fi or as Ni (so I s'pose I can spot NJs and FPs, but that's as far as I can go with the P/J distinction of people I don't really know).

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Look guys, P vs. J is not what you think it is if you're going purely by MBTI.

What you should be asking is: I am an external J or an external P?

We all have aspects of both; one is typically kept inside and the other governs the outer world.

Introverts are more difficult to discern because they're dominant in the introverted process, but it's the direction of the extroverted process (which for introverts is secondary) that tells us whether you're P or J.

Js think that it's ok to have a disorganized or inconsistent internal viewpoint as long as your external world is organized into strict schedules and measurable goals. (Does it work to achieve my goals?)

Ps think that it's ok to have a disorganized external life with no particular plan/routine/schedule as long as your internal world is organized into logically/ethically consistent positions. (Is it internally consistent on paper?)

That's really about all there is to it.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Okay, that's your opinion. If you want to believe that the two are compatible despite the overwhelming evidence and theory that says otherwise, that's fine. But I'm not convinced in the slightest.

Alright, if it's my opinion, it's no less of an opinion that what you said earlier becaause really all anyone is throwing around in this thread are anecdotes and their experiences. And please, show me the evidence and theory. If you're talking about people's pet theories on this forum, then I don't take those seriously.

I know that people are capable of learning new habits and breaking old ones. It's hard but it's doable. If you insist they're "weak" NJs because they organize their physical environment then I don't know what I'm supposed to say to that. I suppose "strong" NJs can barely put their pants on and not be trusted to operate vehicles? Why is the idea of being a typologically balanced person so abhorrent here or lessens the precious intuitive status? I consistently find the more spacey, wacky, socially ostracized, uncoordinated, non-conformist, awkward, maladjusted, and number of cats a person owns solidifies their N status to new heights and levels.

Maybe they've had things happen to them that have taught them to change some of their previous habits. Maybe it's a control issue. People do things for any number of reasons that doesn't correlate to an MBTI function.

lastrailway

That's really about all there is to it.

I don't know how this simplification can be applied to real life people, given all the limitations of not being able to know thoroughly somebody else. Also pretty much all people will display any of the extroverted functions at different settings and situations.

Yes, there are people with obviously organised external world and people with obviously organised internal world, but for most people the comparison is relative: they might have their internal worldview slightly more organised than the external world and this is not easily identifiable by other people. Particularly since in most social settings, i.e. workplace, one usually has to be at least moderately organised and Te and Fe capable, no matter if this is their natural preference or not.

Jaguar

Why is the idea of being a typologically balanced person so abhorrent here or lessens the precious intuitive status?

I like the idea of being typologically balanced.
The benefits should be obvious.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's funny, the whole "you must take your shoes off so as not to get my carpet dirty" strikes me as a waste of time. I just ripped out the carpet and put down laminate. Issue permanently solved. This is J, no?

Usehername

On a mission
In Canada everyone always takes their shoes off when they enter someone's home. It seems weird that people put on shoes to walk around their house. It must add for so much more cleaning.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
It's funny, the whole "you must take your shoes off so as not to get my carpet dirty" strikes me as a waste of time. I just ripped out the carpet and put down laminate. Issue permanently solved. This is J, no?

Sure why not! You made a practical decision for what works for you. My friend's in an apartment and ripping out the carpet is not an option. My last apartment deducted from my security deposit because they had to clean the carpet, which is why I don't like people in my place with shoes on either. Maybe some people like the plush and cushiony feeling of carpet on their feet and want to keep it clean. Some people don't like "the outside" wear they walk around in their bare feet :)hi:). It's their personal quirks and preferences. I'm a germaphobe and I don't like the idea of my personal space being contaminated.

And as userhername pointed out, some habits may be cultural and have nothing to do with being a J or a P, but externally look J.