• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Warm fuzzy teddybear description

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was recently reacquainted with this description from infj.org:
INFJ Defined - Dolphin Cove
infj.org said:
Warm fuzzy teddybear theory

This is a theory devised by some INFJs on the "warm fuzzy teddybear" feel that surrounds some of the introverted intuitives. This is how others see the INs:

INFJ - cold on outside, warm and fuzzy on the inside
INFP - warm and fuzzy inside and out
INTP - warm on the outside, hard as a rock inside
INTJ - cold and hard inside and out

It's worth mentioning since these observations seem to carry merit, but of course you have to remember that this theory doesn't necessarily apply to all or even most INs.

Do you think this breakdown has any merit? (On a surface recollection, it does seem to fit vaguely well).

How do you think it would extend for the rest of the types-- EN**, IS** and ES**?
My gut feeling is that EN** would break down similarly to the IN** types, as ENTJs always seem cold to me through and through, and ENFPs are like live warm huggable talking teddybears... But I'm having trouble coming up with an example of an ENFJ who seems cold on the outside, and I don't really know many ENTPs.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj

Do you think this breakdown has any merit? (On a surface recollection, it does seem to fit vaguely well).

How do you think it would extend for the rest of the types-- EN**, IS** and ES**?
My gut feeling is that EN** would break down similarly to the IN** types, as ENTJs always seem cold to me through and through, and ENFPs are like live warm huggable talking teddybears... But I'm having trouble coming up with an example of an ENFJ who seems cold on the outside, and I don't really know many ENTPs.

I don't think the description of INTPs is that correct... it's more lukewarm outside and cold inside. ENTP, cold outside, variable temperature inside from boiling hot to freezing cold. ENTJ, variable temperature outside and cold inside. ENFP, warm through and through. Cannot comment well on ENFJ.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are two people I have in mind that might be ENTPs, and they are generally sociable and give off the impression of being somewhat warm on the outside. Some INTPs I know are fairly cold on the outside, but more than a couple (myself included) are quite sociable and warm, albeit in an off-beat way (eg delivering sarcastic humor but in an upbeat and laughing manner) but tend to have this fractured, almost painful inner core that would have us wreck thoroughly sociopathic havoc on the whole universe if it were ever unleashed... (well, that's my experience anyhow :D)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The only description I agree with in the OP is the INFJ one. The others aren't that great. INFPs and INTPs can be reserved and unsocial when you first meet them. INTJs aren't unfeeling monsters.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I don't really know. Sometimes I'm nice to people even when I don't care about them at all, sometimes I'm cold to people I do care about, and sometimes vice-versa. I don't think it makes sense.

But I don't think it's completely right. I would offer this in its stead:

xNTP's: Detached, observant, and analytical normally. Can feel concern deeply, albeit sometimes unconsciously, but are either unable to express it directly, or express it very awkwardly.

xNFP's: Shy, sensitive, and moody normally. Can think well, but sometimes via projection, and can allow it to overwhelm them such that they become highly critical, which they later regret.

xNFJ's: Polite, aware, and concerned normally. Can be analytical internally, but have trouble expressing or accepting it when it conflicts with feeling values.

xNTJ's: Tough, efficient, and focused normally. Can be rather sensitive internally, but dislike showing weakness, which is part of why they compensate by being tough and uncompromising.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
FWIW, I don't think these apply much with first impressions as they do with people you've known for a good long time (months, even years)... like an average tendency of their mood and affect you observe over time.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
FWIW, I don't think these apply much with first impressions as they do with people you've known for a good long time (months, even years)... like an average tendency of their mood and affect you observe over time.

Which descriptions applied more to first impressions, and which applied more to average tendencies observed over time? The original ones, or the ones I provided? I was a little confused as to which comment went with which.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Which descriptions applied more to first impressions, and which applied more to average tendencies observed over time? The original ones, or the ones I provided? I was a little confused as to which comment went with which.

Oh, the original ones. The original descriptions I also find to be extremely subjective and difficult to really point out, but work pretty well for me as a sum of many "gut feelings" I've had about people I've known... yours are more objective. Not really sure how yours fit into the timeline of relationships (leaning towards first-impression)

Nonpareil

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't know if I agree with the others but for myself, as an INTJ, I find our description funny:
INTJ - cold and hard inside and out
:yim_rolling_on_the_

I'm not saying it's true and that we can't be warm and caring, but I do believe that generally, especially if you can read our thoughts - that may be truer than we would like to admit. :blush:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Oh, the original ones. The original descriptions I also find to be extremely subjective and difficult to really point out, but work pretty well for me as a sum of many "gut feelings" I've had about people I've known... yours are more objective. Not really sure how yours fit into the timeline of relationships (leaning towards first-impression)

I guess the thing about INTP's specifically in this case is, I don't really get the impression that they're totally cold inside. I get the impression that they're very detached from their emotions, but that their emotions affect them deeply and often negatively on an unconscious level, and that it's in fact the strength of their unconscious feelings that makes them need to be detached so badly.

And in the case of INTJ's... I really disagree. In their case, I definitely sense some kind of underlying passion driving their forceful logic. It's almost as though they're sensitive, rather similar to FP's inside... except they're competent, logical, and cynical. Likewise, INFP's seem to have this hardness and rigidity in some ways that mirrors that of an TJ. It actually fits with their functional order, as well as what I've observed.

You would probably know better than me, however, being an INTP. Who better to analyze something than an INTP? :smile:

Aven

MBTI Type
INTP
How the hell are INTPs warm on the outside...

INFJs seem warm on the outside too to me, maybe I am wrong.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How the hell are INTPs warm on the outside...

Haha you're warm on the outside, you call me a whore all the time :blush:
:yim_rolling_on_the_

xNFJiminy

MBTI Type
xNFJ
I've known one who was, but also one who wasn't. I think they can be too reserved and lack the spontaneity required. Without spontaneity, warmth seems forced, and they're aware of this. It happens to me sometimes too.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
"cold on outside, warm and fuzzy on the inside"

I think this one applies to me the best when dealing with my friends. When dealing with the general public, I'm not too warm and fuzzy inside... just kinda indifferent.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
ENTJ - warm n fuzzy inside n out with people i like, cold inside n out with people i dislike

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
ENFJ= defective INFJ + vacuous and scripted warm fuzzies in a tasty cavity-inducing shell :)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
ENFJ= defective INFJ + vacuous and scripted warm fuzzies in a tasty cavity-inducing shell :)

Hmm? I always felt that as an INFJ, it just meant I didn't have the emotional energy and confidence of an ENFJ, and also lacked the tough-minded independence of an INTJ. I guess this just shows that most people can find fault with themselves easily enough.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTP - could go either way inside or outside, and you'll probably never figure out what the deciding factor is any more than I can tell you myself!