User Tag List

MBTI
    INFP

Default Could E/I be split into two parts?

For a long time I was told that our extroversion was determined by where we get our energy from, but in my experience that doesn't seem to reflect how social people are. I have heard stories of people who are social but need time alone to regain energy, and vice versa.

Also, extroverts are supposed to make up 70% of the population. I think about 90% of the people I know get their energy from being alone.

It seems that your energy source and your sociability are two separate groups. In my opinion, we should just redefine extroversion as one's sociability, because one's energy source doesn't seem very useful.

Thoughts?
    tee hee

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't think the 70% figure is correct, based on the stats I have seen (it's much closer to the 45-55 range).

I also think that basing your assessment on people you know is a mistake, since your social circles are chosen by you to reflect your own personality to some degree, and are also based on occupation and other factors. i.e., you are probably more prone to have introverts in your social environment, it's self-selecting.

I think if you explore MBTI Step II, some of these concerns will be alleviated. In this, each function in each pair is broken into five subcategories and rated. We have some comments here on this forum, and you can also find a small bit about Step II in wikipedia. Step II differentiates between types of extroverts and introverts, which is what you are looking for.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Dufresne View Post
    For a long time I was told that our extroversion was determined by where we get our energy from, but in my experience that doesn't seem to reflect how social people are. I have heard stories of people who are social but need time alone to regain energy, and vice versa.

Also, extroverts are supposed to make up 70% of the population. I think about 90% of the people I know get their energy from being alone.

It seems that your energy source and your sociability are two separate groups. In my opinion, we should just redefine extroversion as one's sociability, because one's energy source doesn't seem very useful.

Thoughts?
    I disagree. Some Introverts are sociable because of their goals or their friends, but they are still drained by the interaction. In fact, I would say that where you derive your energy is more important than your sociability. ENTP's specifically can be rather introverted people, but they still derive their energy from something on the outside, whether it's a person or a project. The real difference appears in how dealing with things on the outside effects your energy, and I also think how sensitive you are to stimuli is a part of it, with Introverts being more sensitive to it, hence needing/wanting less stimulation, and Extroverts being less so, thus seeking further stimulation.

Does that make sense?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ...I think if you explore MBTI Step II, some of these concerns will be alleviated. In this, each function in each pair is broken into five subcategories and rated. We have some comments here on this forum, and you can also find a small bit about Step II in wikipedia. Step II differentiates between types of extroverts and introverts, which is what you are looking for.
    I'm going to go check that out.

MBTI
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Dufresne View Post
    I have heard stories of people who are social but need time alone to regain energy, and vice versa.
    I can agree a little, that seems to be my case.
    I'm VERY social, and need to be alone, maybe just not as quickly
    as an introvert?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I'm going to go check that out.
    Here is the original thread about MBTI Step II, in case you are interested...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft