• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is this a sensor trait?

snegledmaca

Recently, prompted by thread on intelligence, I was wondering whether something I do shows that I'm a sensor. I dislike new things for the fear of being unable to cope with them. Intellectually. For example I dislike getting new courses on my college because I have no idea how I will perform in them. I honestly fright every time at the beginning of each course (At the points where I am suppose to perform). I also fear that someday, somewhere, I will not be able to keep up and will be left behind. If that happened, if I became obsolete, I think I'd be hit by a major depression. I honestly don't know how I would cope with it. I guess what I'm saying is that I have a fear of being inadequate, incapable someway someday. And because of it I'd much prefer an environment with no change, a stable and tranquil environment where things have been determined and will be like that for the foreseeable future and my competence is secure and stable. Is this a sensor thing?

Usehername

On a mission
fear of being inadequate in college means you put your identity in your intellectual abilities. this suggests NT but I've also seen SJs like this. I don't know it's highly correlated to personality type.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Recently, prompted by thread on intelligence, I was wondering whether something I do shows that I'm a sensor. I dislike new things for the fear of being unable to cope with them. Intellectually. For example I dislike getting new courses on my college because I have no idea how I will perform in them. I honestly fright every time at the beginning of each course (At the points where I am suppose to perform).
This sounds like perfectionism which can be NT or NF.

I also fear that someday, somewhere, I will not be able to keep up and will be left behind. If that happened, if I became obsolete, I think I'd be hit by a major depression. I honestly don't know how I would cope with it. I guess what I'm saying is that I have a fear of being inadequate, incapable someway someday.
A need to be competent is most highly seen in the NT types. I have this fear myself.

And because of it I'd much prefer an environment with no change, a stable and tranquil environment where things have been determined and will be like that for the foreseeable future and my competence is secure and stable. Is this a sensor thing?
I don't like it when my environment changes either, for those same reasons.
I don't see it as a sensor thing.
SJs need stability and security, but it has NOTHING to do with fear of the future, or competence in the same way an NT fears it.
Your reasons for wanting stability are more important than the fact that you want stability.

Usehername

On a mission
Your reasons for wanting stability are more important than the fact that you want stability.

Yes. Important to note. The reason why I've also seen SJs and even some SPs do the same thing: they've invested their identity in their school area of interest. Which means they're afraid of failing. I think it's more of an investment of identity.

It's just most likely to be an NT b/c of the need for competence thing, plus they're a little more likely to be nerdy.

Or it could be a fear of failure in general. Universal to all types, I'm assuming.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Recently, prompted by thread on intelligence, I was wondering whether something I do shows that I'm a sensor. I dislike new things for the fear of being unable to cope with them. Intellectually. For example I dislike getting new courses on my college because I have no idea how I will perform in them. I honestly fright every time at the beginning of each course (At the points where I am suppose to perform). I also fear that someday, somewhere, I will not be able to keep up and will be left behind. If that happened, if I became obsolete, I think I'd be hit by a major depression. I honestly don't know how I would cope with it. I guess what I'm saying is that I have a fear of being inadequate, incapable someway someday. And because of it I'd much prefer an environment with no change, a stable and tranquil environment where things have been determined and will be like that for the foreseeable future and my competence is secure and stable. Is this a sensor thing?

I would say in likelihood it is an ST- trait. Otherwise, it is a sign you are getting older and prefer stability.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Truthfully, no one is open to change. People who say they are open are usually all talk. Such people are also the first to come up with reasons why a change that has happened is bad.

Being closed to change or a need for stability is mostly a J thing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know if it means anything whatsoever personality-wise. It's perfectionism -- feeling that one will not be able to cope with the challenges of life. I've seen people of different types have this problem as stated here (I also have it... although life experience has given me confidence to move forward much more now).

I know ISFJs who have also hated the thought of moving to a new job that would have been much better for them overall but they were afraid to make the shift because of the unknown risk... and this behavior is not confined to ISFJ either, that's just an example.

Does anyone think I/E might be related to this sort of perfectionism? Introverts are more apt to be afraid of leaving their prior safe world and failing when they extend themselves outwardly into new areas? (Extroverts might be more apt to move forward, without catering to the fear as much?) That is just a stab in the dark, however. It might not be related to type at all.

Dufresne

MBTI Type
INFP
Truthfully, no one is open to change. People who say they are open are usually all talk. Such people are also the first to come up with reasons why a change that has happened is bad.

I disagree wholeheartedly. I am a very strong perceiver and I am very open to change, at least in most areas. I think your P/J score determines how open you are to change.

In response to the first post, I'd say that trait sounds like an SJ, also with some F in there, for the fear of failure.

ygolo

My termites win
I agree with INTJMom's assessment.

One more thing to note, wanting Stability can also indicate a DiSC characteristic of Steadiness.

People with High S styles scores want a steady pace, security, and don't like sudden change. Low S intensity scores are those who like change and variety. High S persons are calm, relaxed, patient, possessive, predictable, deliberate, stable, consistent, and tend to be unemotional and poker faced. People with Low S scores are described as restless, demonstrative, impatient, eager, or even impulsive.

These things are actually fairly descriptive of me externally. People have commented on me being always calm, and never getting worked up or angry (while this is not generally true). I do like the steady nature of my life, however.

DiSC and Interaction Styles are related, with S corresponding to Behind-the-Scenes.

Understanding Berens' Interaction Styles

You could actually be an INTP even. With your reasons seeming rather NT, and Behind-The-Scenes motivated.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

No. It could be, I guess, but this seems more like an abstract concern than a concrete one.

I understand this... I refused to take AP classes in High School because I was afraid the teachers would be so much smarter than me that they would be able to outwit me and trip me up constantly. I felt that in the regular classes, they had an obligation to keep the material at an understandable level, which didn't exist in the AP classes, where they would be free to do everything in their power to confuse me. It wouldn't matter how much I studied, because these people would always be older than me, and have had more time to become skilled at whatever it was, and however much I could learn within the time frame simply wouldn't be enough. Basically, I kind of wanted a safety net regarding how much could be asked of me, so I wouldn't have to stress myself out trying to learn something complicated that would take up all my time, and then still either fail or scrape by.

snegledmaca

fear of being inadequate in college means you put your identity in your intellectual abilities. this suggests NT but I've also seen SJs like this. I don't know it's highly correlated to personality type.

Well I wouldn't really call it identity, more like performance ability. The fact is that if you cannot absorb knowledge and understanding at a given pace you are screwed. Because I naturally do it at my own pace, and not some imposed one, I would prefer to simply avoid the whole process of absorbing knowledge and understanding in the first place. Have my own little safe haven :).

One more thing to note, wanting Stability can also indicate a DiSC characteristic of Steadiness.

People with High S styles scores want a steady pace, security, and don't like sudden change. Low S intensity scores are those who like change and variety. High S persons are calm, relaxed, patient, possessive, predictable, deliberate, stable, consistent, and tend to be unemotional and poker faced. People with Low S scores are described as restless, demonstrative, impatient, eager, or even impulsive.

Yes, I identify with those as well. I shall learn more about it.

You could actually be an INTP even. With your reasons seeming rather NT, and Behind-The-Scenes motivated.
My initial self typing was INTP but I've long abandoned it.

No. It could be, I guess, but this seems more like an abstract concern than a concrete one.

I understand this... I refused to take AP classes in High School because I was afraid the teachers would be so much smarter than me that they would be able to outwit me and trip me up constantly. I felt that in the regular classes, they had an obligation to keep the material at an understandable level, which didn't exist in the AP classes, where they would be free to do everything in their power to confuse me. It wouldn't matter how much I studied, because these people would always be older than me, and have had more time to become skilled at whatever it was, and however much I could learn within the time frame simply wouldn't be enough. Basically, I kind of wanted a safety net regarding how much could be asked of me, so I wouldn't have to stress myself out trying to learn something complicated that would take up all my time, and then still either fail or scrape by.

I know, and totally identify with, this style of thinking, but that's not really what I'm experiencing. I'm not worried I will learn in vain, I don't believe in such a thing, I'm afraid I won't be able to learn at all. That I'll become obsolete. Redundant. Like that last sentence. And the one before this. And the one before this. And all these sentences. In this line. That make no sense. That serve no purpose. Useless. Blah...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I disagree wholeheartedly. I am a very strong perceiver and I am very open to change, at least in most areas.

As I said, people who say they're open to change are all talk.

EDIT: I suppose you won't mind dying, then. For what is death but change?

Last edited:

Usehername

On a mission
High S persons are calm, relaxed, patient, possessive, predictable, deliberate, stable, consistent, and tend to be unemotional and poker faced.

Wouldn't this also be related to J? Aren't NTs the "calm under stress" ones according to PUMII? INTs fit all those traits, too, IMHO. Well, maybe not stable/consistent for the INTPs as much, but Js? INFJs?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wouldn't this also be related to J? Aren't NTs the "calm under stress" ones according to PUMII? INTs fit all those traits, too, IMHO. Well, maybe not stable/consistent for the INTPs as much, but Js? INFJs?

I think he was measuring Stability, not Sensing -- because Stability here is a proper noun.

P/J is how you prefer to live in the outer world. J prefers structure and routine, P prefers spontaneity and change.

In the case of NJ and SJ, the NJ will create their own structure, while the SJ will live in the structure prescribed by society.