User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 14

  1. #1
    Senior Member snegledmaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Socionics
    SLI
    Posts
    145

    Default Is this a sensor trait?

    Recently, prompted by thread on intelligence, I was wondering whether something I do shows that I'm a sensor. I dislike new things for the fear of being unable to cope with them. Intellectually. For example I dislike getting new courses on my college because I have no idea how I will perform in them. I honestly fright every time at the beginning of each course (At the points where I am suppose to perform). I also fear that someday, somewhere, I will not be able to keep up and will be left behind. If that happened, if I became obsolete, I think I'd be hit by a major depression. I honestly don't know how I would cope with it. I guess what I'm saying is that I have a fear of being inadequate, incapable someway someday. And because of it I'd much prefer an environment with no change, a stable and tranquil environment where things have been determined and will be like that for the foreseeable future and my competence is secure and stable. Is this a sensor thing?

  2. #2
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    fear of being inadequate in college means you put your identity in your intellectual abilities. this suggests NT but I've also seen SJs like this. I don't know it's highly correlated to personality type.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  3. #3
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snegledmaca View Post
    Recently, prompted by thread on intelligence, I was wondering whether something I do shows that I'm a sensor. I dislike new things for the fear of being unable to cope with them. Intellectually. For example I dislike getting new courses on my college because I have no idea how I will perform in them. I honestly fright every time at the beginning of each course (At the points where I am suppose to perform).
    This sounds like perfectionism which can be NT or NF.

    I also fear that someday, somewhere, I will not be able to keep up and will be left behind. If that happened, if I became obsolete, I think I'd be hit by a major depression. I honestly don't know how I would cope with it. I guess what I'm saying is that I have a fear of being inadequate, incapable someway someday.
    A need to be competent is most highly seen in the NT types. I have this fear myself.

    And because of it I'd much prefer an environment with no change, a stable and tranquil environment where things have been determined and will be like that for the foreseeable future and my competence is secure and stable. Is this a sensor thing?
    I don't like it when my environment changes either, for those same reasons.
    I don't see it as a sensor thing.
    SJs need stability and security, but it has NOTHING to do with fear of the future, or competence in the same way an NT fears it.
    Your reasons for wanting stability are more important than the fact that you want stability.

  4. #4
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Your reasons for wanting stability are more important than the fact that you want stability.
    Yes. Important to note. The reason why I've also seen SJs and even some SPs do the same thing: they've invested their identity in their school area of interest. Which means they're afraid of failing. I think it's more of an investment of identity.

    It's just most likely to be an NT b/c of the need for competence thing, plus they're a little more likely to be nerdy.

    Or it could be a fear of failure in general. Universal to all types, I'm assuming.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snegledmaca View Post
    Recently, prompted by thread on intelligence, I was wondering whether something I do shows that I'm a sensor. I dislike new things for the fear of being unable to cope with them. Intellectually. For example I dislike getting new courses on my college because I have no idea how I will perform in them. I honestly fright every time at the beginning of each course (At the points where I am suppose to perform). I also fear that someday, somewhere, I will not be able to keep up and will be left behind. If that happened, if I became obsolete, I think I'd be hit by a major depression. I honestly don't know how I would cope with it. I guess what I'm saying is that I have a fear of being inadequate, incapable someway someday. And because of it I'd much prefer an environment with no change, a stable and tranquil environment where things have been determined and will be like that for the foreseeable future and my competence is secure and stable. Is this a sensor thing?

    I would say in likelihood it is an ST- trait. Otherwise, it is a sign you are getting older and prefer stability.

  6. #6
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Truthfully, no one is open to change. People who say they are open are usually all talk. Such people are also the first to come up with reasons why a change that has happened is bad.

    Being closed to change or a need for stability is mostly a J thing.

  7. #7
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    I don't know if it means anything whatsoever personality-wise. It's perfectionism -- feeling that one will not be able to cope with the challenges of life. I've seen people of different types have this problem as stated here (I also have it... although life experience has given me confidence to move forward much more now).

    I know ISFJs who have also hated the thought of moving to a new job that would have been much better for them overall but they were afraid to make the shift because of the unknown risk... and this behavior is not confined to ISFJ either, that's just an example.

    Does anyone think I/E might be related to this sort of perfectionism? Introverts are more apt to be afraid of leaving their prior safe world and failing when they extend themselves outwardly into new areas? (Extroverts might be more apt to move forward, without catering to the fear as much?) That is just a stab in the dark, however. It might not be related to type at all.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Truthfully, no one is open to change. People who say they are open are usually all talk. Such people are also the first to come up with reasons why a change that has happened is bad.
    I disagree wholeheartedly. I am a very strong perceiver and I am very open to change, at least in most areas. I think your P/J score determines how open you are to change.

    In response to the first post, I'd say that trait sounds like an SJ, also with some F in there, for the fear of failure.
    tee hee

  9. #9

    Default

    I agree with INTJMom's assessment.

    One more thing to note, wanting Stability can also indicate a DiSC characteristic of Steadiness.

    People with High S styles scores want a steady pace, security, and don't like sudden change. Low S intensity scores are those who like change and variety. High S persons are calm, relaxed, patient, possessive, predictable, deliberate, stable, consistent, and tend to be unemotional and poker faced. People with Low S scores are described as restless, demonstrative, impatient, eager, or even impulsive.
    These things are actually fairly descriptive of me externally. People have commented on me being always calm, and never getting worked up or angry (while this is not generally true). I do like the steady nature of my life, however.

    DiSC and Interaction Styles are related, with S corresponding to Behind-the-Scenes.

    Understanding Berens' Interaction Styles

    You could actually be an INTP even. With your reasons seeming rather NT, and Behind-The-Scenes motivated.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  10. #10
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snegledmaca View Post
    Recently, prompted by thread on intelligence, I was wondering whether something I do shows that I'm a sensor. I dislike new things for the fear of being unable to cope with them. Intellectually. For example I dislike getting new courses on my college because I have no idea how I will perform in them. I honestly fright every time at the beginning of each course (At the points where I am suppose to perform). I also fear that someday, somewhere, I will not be able to keep up and will be left behind. If that happened, if I became obsolete, I think I'd be hit by a major depression. I honestly don't know how I would cope with it. I guess what I'm saying is that I have a fear of being inadequate, incapable someway someday. And because of it I'd much prefer an environment with no change, a stable and tranquil environment where things have been determined and will be like that for the foreseeable future and my competence is secure and stable. Is this a sensor thing?
    No. It could be, I guess, but this seems more like an abstract concern than a concrete one.

    I understand this... I refused to take AP classes in High School because I was afraid the teachers would be so much smarter than me that they would be able to outwit me and trip me up constantly. I felt that in the regular classes, they had an obligation to keep the material at an understandable level, which didn't exist in the AP classes, where they would be free to do everything in their power to confuse me. It wouldn't matter how much I studied, because these people would always be older than me, and have had more time to become skilled at whatever it was, and however much I could learn within the time frame simply wouldn't be enough. Basically, I kind of wanted a safety net regarding how much could be asked of me, so I wouldn't have to stress myself out trying to learn something complicated that would take up all my time, and then still either fail or scrape by.

Similar Threads

  1. Is This Guy a Sensor?
    By Majora4Prez in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 07:36 PM
  2. Easily Disturbed By Things Going Wrong...is this Fi? or a J trait?
    By Thalassa in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 05:55 AM
  3. Why is this so funny?
    By proteanmix in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-25-2007, 11:16 AM
  4. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 08-05-2007, 03:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO