• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

StrengthsFinder 2.0

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Greetings.

I just began my first year at community college. I intend to major in Business Management and as a result, I've selected Business Law, Introduction to Business, Psychology, and Mathematics as my first semester classes.

The purpose of this thread is to pose a question foreshadowed in the title. My tardy, zealously nice teacher for Intro to Business seemed more excited in pointing out the positives of everything and in us, and pushed this particular examination of personality.

Instead of what I'm accustomed to, a balance of positive and negative traits, this book only, and I mean only, talks about the good ones. I felt as if I could take on the world when I finished the little book. But not really.

I'm already aware of my strengths and weaknesses, for the most part, so my results on the StrengthsFinder 2.0 did not surprise me much.

My MBTI Type is ISTJ, and my results on my "Top Five Strengths" are as follows:

Context

Intellection

Deliberative

Learner

Input

As mildly interesting as this was, it lacked something. (I read the book before I entered the classroom, a couple of weeks in advance. I tend to do that. I read most of the college books beforehand, intros and first chapters and the like.)

Two really dominant "Strengths" (I read the strengths as listed in the book) that I'm pretty darn sure I have, and more so than Input, at the very least, are Responsibility and Discipline. I've actually been complimented on those features. I'm not patting myself on the back by any means here --- I'm well aware that I succumb to "thinking I'm always right" and a grand list of many other faults.
(I tend to believe that for each positive personality trait someone has, there is an equally negative trait that comes with it. For example, I'm very realistic. What comes with that? I'm also very pessimistic. And apparently people don't care for pessimism.)

Details for each of the 34 Strengths can be found here: Strengths Finder 2.0

(Granted, it's just a slideshow, but it's the best I could find and it serves the purpose well enough.)

My main disappointment with the test itself was the lack of....not sure if I can find the proper word. Let's just say the questions would ask me to pick a degree between these two:

You like to read ----- You like to think

How could I pick between those two? That's practically all I do. I was also asked to choose between organization and cleanliness, if I recall, and I place both in priority.

Now that I've beat it up a bit, you're probably thinking about my pessimism statement. Don't worry --- I'd like to think I'm a fair writer --- I've included a few positives.

I understand and appreciate the grand concept he's got here, the idea that by capitalizing on my greater abilities (Like Si and Te) and finding people with skills that compliment them (People with good Ni or whatever) we can substantially increase the output of whatever it is we're trying to accomplish.

I'm aware that teamwork can be efficient --- but my teacher (and parts of the book) practically screamed to me that teamwork is the only way, the most efficient way, and....well....sort of reconfirmed to me that we live in a society that is unwilling to accept their faults and is very extroverted in general.

....No wonder the book is so popular, I thought. Focuses only on what people want to hear --- it tickles the ear. :doh:

Now, if you've survived my long opening thread, I've got a few questions.

Has anyone else read the book? If so, have you taken the test? If you've taken the test, how did you score and how does it relate to your MBTI type? Which is more accurate, and which do you prefer?

Did reading it more or less broaden your psychological horizon? Or did it serve only as reconfirmation of information you know?

Looking forward to your input.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This looks very interesting, but I don't have the time to do it right now (I have to get to school in 30 minutes), but I'll come back after school and do it (since it will be in my recent posts and I can just come back and check it).