User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: INTP v. ENTP

MBTI
    FREE

Default INTP v. ENTP

So I pretty much type as an INTP, although I have a drive to change the world through my ideas. I love to be alone, but I am very friendly with people I meet. I have an obsession with logic and love making people laugh. Some people think I talk too loudly and too much while others believe I am an extremely quiet person. I am not shy in the slightest. I sometimes skip school because I dread social contact. The MBTIkid description ENP on personalitypage.com fits my childhood self much more accurately than ITP. Yet the INTP description fits me MUCH more than the ENTP description.

How can one distinguish between an ENTP and an INTP?

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

INTPs kind of weird me out, but I can't get enough of ENTPs (at least in real life, the INTPs on this site are hilariously awesome).

Extroversion is usually identified by gaining energy from being around people, and introversion is gaining energy from being by one's self. It has nothing to do with shyness, but more to do with how one recharges.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    xxxx

Your description reminds me a lot of myself.

Let's go with INTP, shall we?
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Why do you dread social contact? Does it wear you out mentally? Does it drain you and make you feel fatigued/tired? If so, you are probably an introvert.

By the way, you sound a lot like me. My problem has always been "how do I implement the things I want to do into the real world?".

ENTP's tend to naturally get results in the real world by implementing their ideas, whereas INTP's usually just have a lot of "ideas" and aren't overly concerned with actually realizing those ideas/plans. A buddy of mine calls me "the idea guy".

This doesn't mean that INTP's are incapable of making things happen in the real world, we just have to learn to properly and effectively deal with people and the outside world (i.e., get out of our own heads), while still being true to ourselves and not trying to "be like another type".

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    INTPs kind of weird me out.
    Out of curiosity, can you explain what weirds you out? It's really interesting to me to hear others' perceptions of us - especially the opinions of our fellow NT's.

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I'm one of those people who are a mixture of E & I. Sometimes people drain me out, sometimes they energize me. If you're like me, then that'll make you an ambivert.

My test results vary depending on my mood. Sometimes I get INTP and sometimes I get ENTP. There should be an option of ANTP (haha), because not everything is black & white if you get what I am saying...
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Out of curiosity, can you explain what weirds you out? It's really interesting to me to hear others' perceptions of us - especially the opinions of our fellow NT's.
    I know a few INTPs in real life who seem to have less inhibition than I do in conversation. Someone will make a dirty or chauvinistic joke or double entendre, and the INTP will just run with it in incredible detail, sans any kind of qualms about saying bizarre (as in...how am I supposed to respond to that?) or inappropriate things, and without apparently caring how others are going to react. Although I suspect that other people would accuse me of the same thing. I guess it's unusual for me to meet someone stranger than me.

I only mentioned it because I think it's interesting that ENTPs and INTPs give off such different vibes. INTPs being the quintessential NT, and ENTPs verging on being SPs.

Ah, but I just realized, it's probably because the ones I know are also 17-19 year old boys.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    eNTP

I just posted this somewhere else, but I think the "E" in ENTP has less to do with people than it does in other types. It's more to do with the Ne dominance over Ti.
    A colleague of the great scientist James Watson remarked that Watson was always “lounging around, arguing about problems instead of doing experiments.” He concluded that “There is more than one way of doing good science.”
    It was Watson’s form of idleness, the scientist went on to say, that allowed him to solve “the greatest of all biological problems: the discovery of the structure of DNA.” It's a point worth remembering in a society overly concerned with efficiency.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post

Ah, but I just realized, it's probably because the ones I know are also 17-19 year old boys.
    That'll do it

Although, taking a joke too far is definitely a problem, for me at least...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    iLi

Sometimes I feel extroverted, but then when it actually comes down to the social interactions I clam up again. I'm not sure what that is called...

I think in dealing with people I know fairly well I might be called an extrovert.