Thread: INTP v. ENTP

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    No.
    Other people = the general public

An INTP doesn't need to be famous and well-liked as long as he or she is right. An ENTP would hate the thought of their brilliance going unrecognized

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Other people = the general public

An INTP doesn't need to be famous and well-liked as long as he or she is right. An ENTP would hate the thought of their brilliance going unrecognized
    OK, that makes sense.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    An INTP doesn't care one bit what other people think of them. An ENTP says that they don't care what other people think of them, but secretly does care very much.
    Errm how you wish to be perceived is not really an MBTI thing as much as it is a FIRO-B thing. I know an ENTJ for example who is very much concerned with what you think.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Errm how you wish to be perceived is not really an MBTI thing as much as it is a FIRO-B thing. I know an ENTJ for example who is very much concerned with what you think.
    Keep your Ti in check, you're drifting away.

I think he has a point, at least once he reworded what he meant that is. It is true that INTP's do not seek affirmation because they feel they need it. Ofcourse we still appreciate it, but ultimatly it's no issue for us. As long as we have our own affirmation. And ENTP's are different in that aspect.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Going by similarities might be a good way for non archetypal individuals.
    like, while i can see myself to a degree in estps and intps, I just could not in a million years think of myself as having anything to do with an infp or an intj.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

It's one of the main differences in social orientation - E's need others to recognize their particular strong skills ("gaining energy from others") while I's have no such need ("expending energy around others").

An ENxP needs people to recognize how great their ideas are. An ESxP needs to have others around to reinforce their experiences. An ExFJ needs others around to take care of and appreciate them, while an ExTJ needs others around to organize and form a smooth cohesive group.

On the other side, an IxTP would rather concentrate on mastering something. An IxFP would rather explore the ins and outs of their own existence. An ISxJ would rather concern themselves with what's right and what's wrong. An INxJ would rather discover paths previously unknown.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

On the odd occasion, I have gone full out introvert. I'll go without talking to people for a while, I'll get myself absorbed into things like learning or absorbing some kind of entertainment. Usually when I'm like this, I'm feelin a little incompetent because I've been talking to people who just know so much, and I'd like to be able to know the same (not to mention, it's a great way to pass time and prepare for uni). It's an enneagram 5 imitation, but not nearly as strong.

And then something comes up, an opportunity to start something fun or an invitation to something and I start being drawn back to reality. It's time to go have fun, I start to seek things that are new and entertaining, I basically become an ESXP... that might just hold back from spitting off a building or something though, that's just indecent.

There's also a fair middle ground, what was said above seems to ring true, I expect everyone to be friends, I'll randomly babble about with people and stuff -all the usual gregarious things.

That first phase can get pretty bad sometimes, I can get snappy and bitter. I don't like being caught in that state, I'll mostly try to patch it up and try to act like the middle ground.

Anyway, ENTPs and INTPs are pretty similar thinking wise, the differentiation between the two is kind of obvious when you put them up against each other, but individually it might be harder to break apart. I find that my brain is scattered and all over the place, seeking novelty more than understanding. For example, I found out that people made a little machine that drives about the place gobbling up slugs to power itself. I think some INTPs out there love discovering that kind of stuff too though.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

My younger cousin is an ENTP, and back in the day when we hung out, we were like peas in a pod.

He tended to be more goofy and all over the place with his humor, and I would get anchored on one thing and wanted to explore it thoroughly. I think that's an easy way of distinguishing INTP vs. ENTP thought processes.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

ENTP has been suggested for my type before and I agree ENTP can look like INTP because both are very good at taking indefensible positions in debates and making arguments for them and they both tend to like to talk a lot and articulate quite a bit though the capital difference is ENTP is more practical when applying their logic and theories like the ISTP or INTJ since they want to make thigns work in the real world and the INTP is more theoretical and is just satisfied with the understanding the underlying philosophy of the subject of inquiry. I am honestly either an ISTP, ENTP, INTJ or probably most likely INTP, and in order of stregnth it would go TPNI, ENTP being the second closest type followed by ISTP, so I will admit it can be tough to tell the difference between the INTP ENTP and ISTP types along with INTJ.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    Your description reminds me a lot of myself.

Let's go with INTP, shall we?
    Yeah but he could also have been describing me perfectly and im NOT an NT anything.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.