User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've thought about this as well... here are some examples of Introverted uses of Extraverted functions:

Fe: Contemplating social rules, etiquette, political views, attachments to people, the kind of "message" you want to send... in isolation. Possibly regarding theoretical people, past situations, projections of future situations, or even the characters in a book you're writing at the moment. Okay, this one is a bit of a leap... Fe is the most dependent on and related to actual people of all the Extraverted functions. This forum might be the odd exception, because I can interact with people without actually having to deal with them in real time, and there's definitely a lot of Fe stimulation here. Writing letters to people might be an older example.

Te: Thinking of ways to apply existing systems to accomplish something efficiently/effectively. This could be used with just machines rather than people, obviously. It could even be done completely in the mind with theoretical situations or examinations of past situations.

Se: This one is the most obvious. You can get drunk, enjoy your food, listen to music, or dance alone.

Ne: The Internet, anyone? You can use Google, read books, get ideas from television, etc. There are plenty of ways to get ideas about reality without people being involved.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    N/A
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Extroversion is just defined as using an extroverted function more than the rest. Ditto for introversion. They are not the same usages of the words as you would find in the dictionary. That is all.
    ..Which is exactly why I find the use of the words "extroverted" and "introverted" in a functional context to be very misleading.
    http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u56/EnglerMeister/hehh.jpg

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Four functions, two attitudes and two notations.

You lead with whatever makes sense to lead with when calm and whatever comes to hand when stressed, it's that simple.

Oh and I believe your observation was pipped some time ago by a very cryptic kitty saying "IPs are EJs". That's stuck with me for years now.. took a while to figure out why.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Extroversion is just defined as using an extroverted function more than the rest. Ditto for introversion. They are not the same usages of the words as you would find in the dictionary. That is all.
    It seems in the original Jungian sense, extraversion and introversion is what an ego starts out as, and then uses his dominant function in that preferred orientation. (the others then fall into place according to the various complexes, or just remain in the unconscious). Hence, the person will generally tend to follow the dictionary definition, which is one manifestation of their orientation, and then his dominant function will also be another thing used in that orientation.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    You may, or may not have, noticed but there are a few young INTJs, leading with Te.
    You can tell by their obsessive clinging to demanding "evidence" for everything.
    It's as if Ni is completely foreign to them.
    Yeah, I've seen things like that too.

Maturity and life experience does a lot to shape who we are and how we use our particular giftings. It think when we're younger, our natural insecurities and tentative self-worth sometimes tempts us unconsciously to overuse a particular function as a way to justify and prove ourselves.

While the "beer and hookers" thing seems like a worthwhile endeavor, you should definitely skim some of the other threads -- use of the secondary function in a primary role (without "official type designation" changing) has been discussed in a number of places.

I'm definitely one of those that uses my "assigned" secondary as a lead function, but I'm not any sort of extrovert although I can play one for limited time spans -- I still direct myself inward and live/think "inside" rather than outside in a true extroverted fashion. But I'm far more about exploring possibilities using my rationality as a guide to tag and/or cull out the unsupportable paths, and finding a reasonable place to put [the possibility of] everything within my ideas framework.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post

LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Do me a favor and at least try to learn something from what I said (Ni) instead of just dismissing me outright (Te).

Is this a whiny ENTP habit, or what?

For the record, you made some good points in your other post.
    Perhaps I should have addressed them, but it was late last night and I was more inclined to be sarcastic.
    Besides, the photo Ragingkat posted was worth it. Haha.

By the way, you need to recognize when someone is using Se in a rant.
    You have a bad habit of blaming everything on Te.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

haven't read the entire thread (interesting OP!), just popping in to say i use Fe and Ne a lot and i'm not a very extroverted person overall..

i don't think 'introverted' and 'extroverted' are really the same word when in relation to functions as they are when we speak of people's temperaments.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Is this a whiny ENTP habit, or what?

For the record, you made some good points in your other post.
    Perhaps I should have addressed them, but it was late last night and I was more inclined to be sarcastic.
    Besides, the photo Ragingkat posted was worth it. Haha.

By the way, you need to recognize when someone is using Se in a rant.
    You have a bad habit of blaming everything on Te.
    I can't tell the difference with ENTJs who switch between both. This tertiary Se is probably a large part of what causes me to confuse ENTJ with ESTP at times, because ENTJs study and intentionally imitate the ESTP's Se in order to gain advantage in situations where it's useful.

Remember how my initial read on you was xSTP? I thought it was Se at first until you corrected me, insisting that I was mistaking Te for Se. Do you have any advice on telling the difference in ENTJs?

As you pointed out yourself, I don't know you, and Te and Se can look awfully similar in rant mode.

But wow, I just got an ENTJ to admit that I made a good point; I think I can die happy now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    I'm definitely one of those that uses my "assigned" secondary as a lead function, but I'm not any sort of extrovert although I can play one for limited time spans -- I still direct myself inward and live/think "inside" rather than outside in a true extroverted fashion. But I'm far more about exploring possibilities using my rationality as a guide to tag and/or cull out the unsupportable paths, and finding a reasonable place to put [the possibility of] everything within my ideas framework.
    Yup, most people do that. Anybody who's balanced does that. When you allow Ne to take command (which is not as often as Ti), you actually become extroverted for a brief time and are virtually the same as ENTP.

Until you go back to dominant Ti mode and everybody remembers you're really just INTP, the ENTP's kid brother.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post

Ne: The Internet, anyone? You can use Google, read books, get ideas from television, etc. There are plenty of ways to get ideas about reality without people being involved.
    I somtimes think that the related videos section on youtube (as well as all of wikipedia) was designed just to keep me up at night.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn