User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: ENTP or ESTP?

MBTI
    INTJ

Question ENTP or ESTP?

I was just reading in the ENTP thread and now I'm questioning whether my father really is an ENTP or whether he is an ESTP.
    Somebody said ENTPs don't have any faults - that's what triggered it.

The reason I thought he was not an S is because he has a horrible memory.

He loves to play baseball and fish.
    He hasn't had a "normal" job in 40 years.
    He drinks, gambles and womanizes.

Would an ENTP do all these things?
    Last edited by INTJMom; 10-13-2007 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Figured it out... he's not an ENTP.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I was just reading in the ENTP thread and now I'm questioning whether my father really is an ENTP or whether he is an ESTP.

Ah... ESTP. I'm almost positive. ENTP's are more theoretical and such... Se is different from Si, and many ideas about S are more Si than Se.

Although he sounds like an unhealthy ESTP. The healthier ones usually find a better outlet for their Se abilities. Some even become managers on certain kinds of projects that SJ's would have trouble with.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I know an ENTP (strong N) who does all of this, though he has a "normal" job.

MBTI
    ????

ESTPs seem to have a reputation for being like that don't they??

MBTI
    INTJ

Hmm. I'm going to have to pay closer attention.
    What differences am I looking for exactly?

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

The main difference I'd say - and I'm guessing - is the ESTPs I've known are much more concerned about their own appearance than ENTPs. ENTPs are almost like mad professors with the wild hair and even wilder eyes - think Dr. Emmet Brown - and like to play devils advocate about ideas. They're too busy dreaming up big ideas and being renaissance people to care about whether their hair is messed up or their shirt is sloppy.

ESTPs are more pragmatic, and their 'devils advocacy' is in the form of manipulating people and things to their ends - even if that end is mere entertainment. It's almost like they get a sick thrill from pitting people against each other - maybe it plays to their gamesmanship. All of the ESTPs I've known took great pride in their appearance.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by anii View Post
    The main difference I'd say - and I'm guessing - is the ESTPs I've known are much more concerned about their own appearance than ENTPs. ENTPs are almost like mad professors with the wild hair and even wilder eyes - think Dr. Emmet Brown - and like to play devils advocate about ideas. They're too busy dreaming up big ideas and being renaissance people to care about whether their hair is messed up or their shirt is sloppy.

ESTPs are more pragmatic, and their 'devils advocacy' is in the form of manipulating people and things to their ends - even if that end is mere enjoyment. It's almost like they get a sick thrill from pitting people against each other - maybe it plays to their gamesmanship. All of the ESTPs I've known took great pride in their appearance.
    Oh REAlly!
    My father is 71 and still gets back in shape every spring, firming up his muscles, losing his gut.

Would he brag about being the BEST fisherman, and the BEST baseball pitcher?
    (Or is that just testosterone?)
    Last edited by proteanmix; 10-13-2007 at 12:35 PM. Reason: merged posts

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

Well, like I said, I'm guessing. That was the clearest distinction I could find.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by anii View Post
    Well, like I said, I'm guessing. That was the clearest distinction I could find.
    Thank you for your help.
    It looks like I've been wrong about him. He's probably an ESTP.
    I'm going to check into it further.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The list you've described applies easily to at least male ESTPs. ENTPs actually are capable of all the things, but they tend to branch out into MANY areas. They also usually like to read and tinker voraciously with things. ESTPs will generally stay with "practical" pursuits, one that have some obvious advantage or gain; ENTPs are much more prone to flitting about and getting caught up in esoteric things, they will be even more all over the map in regards to their interests.

(ENTP Oberon, another poster here, for example, would be a Jeopardy trivia king. He knows anything from certain periods of history and cultural references to how to clean a gun and strip down a lawn engine mower, and he's written even drafts of screenplays.)

I also had thought my father to be an ENTP when I was younger, but over the last number of years I really reconsidered it (because his N was weak if it existed at all), and I think he is really an ESTP with a bit of a sensitive side that is reflected in his love for music and plants. (He still could be an ENTP, I suppose, but his N was very much beaten out of him by his father and life in general, if he is.)

AS far as drinking, womanizing, and gambling being "unhealthy" -- well, I guess it usually can be if taken to an extreme. It is simply that ESTPs are "rogues" by nature, so these pursuits are appealing because they're exciting and because they fly against social convention.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft