• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTP or ESTP?

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
I know an ENTP (strong N) who does all of this, though he has a "normal" job.
I think the "loves" is critical here. ENTPs do those things, but it's not a driving force.

Many (most?) EXTPs will fit the other two.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ESTPs are far more negative than ENTPs. ENTPs are usually rather optimistic people.

I think that is probably right.

ESTPs seem to see things as more of a conflict, where someone has to win and lose (and, of course, you know which one THEY plan to be). So they seem to more quickly butt heads and push towards conflict, like the football star who overpowers the opposition.

ENTPs tend to be more playful because they see more possibilities inherent in the situation, rather than the win/lose scenario. Although they can "fight" when they want to, I have found they tend to dance around the conflict and flow like water, so that you cannot as easily lay a hand on them.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I was just reading in the ENTP thread and now I'm questioning whether my father really is an ENTP or whether he is an ESTP.
Somebody said ENTPs don't have any faults - that's what triggered it.

The reason I thought he was not an S is because he has a horrible memory.

Well, my ESTP mother has the worst memory out of everyone in my family. It's because she is literally shifting from moment to moment that she completely forgets about the previous moment.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I read that you are questioning the T/F...

One thing that makes it clear that my mother is a T, despite her charm (she oozes it) and charismatic way with people is her blunt, inability to consider anyone else's feelings when making decisions and even talking to people - UNLESS she wants something out of them, which is a whole 'nother story. Remember, the ESTP is your classic salesman. She does have an uncanny ability to seize the moment and manipulate the current situation to get what she wants.

Growing up, my mother was very prone to in the moment, insensitive outbursts that usually involved cutting words very directed at the target (occasionally, my brother (INFP) and I - imagine how hurt the two NF's were! ha!).

ESTP's are normally very people intelligent. My mother comes off as spacey, but if you ge beyond her Se dominant, she really does know exactly what she's doing.

I hope this doesn't paint a bad picture of her, as she's an amazing person and very kind to her family. But it should shed some light on the behavior of an ESTP.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
ESTPs seem to see things as more of a conflict, where someone has to win and lose (and, of course, you know which one THEY plan to be). So they seem to more quickly butt heads and push towards conflict, like the football star who overpowers the opposition.

Or the "president" who strikes a pre-emptive war in an oil-rich country.

Sorry... it was just sitting there... so lonely. Begging for it, really. :smile:

ENTPs tend to be more playful because they see more possibilities inherent in the situation, rather than the win/lose scenario. Although they can "fight" when they want to, I have found they tend to dance around the conflict and flow like water, so that you cannot as easily lay a hand on them.

Yes, your differentiation seems accurate to me.

xNFJiminy

MBTI Type
xNFJ
I know sweetie! ALL people have faults. It's just that I have always seen my father as about 75% faults, and 25% good - so that's what triggered the idea that I might be wrong - and it turns out I WAS wrong.
:) Ah, I see. Based on your descriptions I agree - more ESXP.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I read that you are questioning the T/F...

One thing that makes it clear that my mother is a T, despite her charm (she oozes it) and charismatic way with people is her blunt, inability to consider anyone else's feelings when making decisions and even talking to people - UNLESS she wants something out of them, which is a whole 'nother story. Remember, the ESTP is your classic salesman. She does have an uncanny ability to seize the moment and manipulate the current situation to get what she wants.

Growing up, my mother was very prone to in the moment, insensitive outbursts that usually involved cutting words very directed at the target (occasionally, my brother (INFP) and I - imagine how hurt the two NF's were! ha!).

ESTP's are normally very people intelligent. My mother comes off as spacey, but if you ge beyond her Se dominant, she really does know exactly what she's doing.

I hope this doesn't paint a bad picture of her, as she's an amazing person and very kind to her family. But it should shed some light on the behavior of an ESTP.
Thanks for your input. :hi:
I'm still not sure yet.

I remember him coming home, walking into the living room where we were watching tv.
He would walk over to the tv, and change the channel (before remotes were invented) to whatever he wanted to watch - as if we didn't even exist! That seems sort of T to me, but it could just be some other aspect that causes extremely selfish behavior.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
He's not likely to win a word battle with anyone.

This alone excludes him from any running for ENTP status. To us, words are like... well, they're like extensions of our own bodies... or rather, minds. They do as we bid them; they're our minions to command :D

And about avoiding confrontations and not wanting to fire people - I've known a few ESTP's and they always like to be seen as the good guy. They're very image conscious and can't stand to not be liked or thought of or seen as the bad guy.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
This alone excludes him from any running for ENTP status. To us, words are like... well, they're like extensions of our own bodies... or rather, minds. They do as we bid them; they're our minions to command :D
I thought you'd say that.

And about avoiding confrontations and not wanting to fire people - I've known a few ESTP's and they always like to be seen as the good guy. They're very image conscious and can't stand to not be liked or thought of or seen as the bad guy.
That does seem to be one of his defining factors. He does project the nice guy image.

Logically Creative

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
ExTP here... trying to find out which one I am. I can relate to both... depending on mood. Shoot some questions or keep making posts. Thx!

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you find that you're more interested in details, or the big picture?

When you learn a new fact, do you just think it's interesting for its own sake, or try to figure out what you can do with it?

Do you like exercise? Working with your hands?

Are you inventive? Do you like coming up with ridiculous bullshit and try to convince other people it's fact? Do wacky connections pop up in your head all the time (or even from time to time)?