User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: ENTP or ESTP?

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I know an ENTP (strong N) who does all of this, though he has a "normal" job.
    I think the "loves" is critical here. ENTPs do those things, but it's not a driving force.

Many (most?) EXTPs will fit the other two.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    ESTPs are far more negative than ENTPs. ENTPs are usually rather optimistic people.
    I think that is probably right.

ESTPs seem to see things as more of a conflict, where someone has to win and lose (and, of course, you know which one THEY plan to be). So they seem to more quickly butt heads and push towards conflict, like the football star who overpowers the opposition.

ENTPs tend to be more playful because they see more possibilities inherent in the situation, rather than the win/lose scenario. Although they can "fight" when they want to, I have found they tend to dance around the conflict and flow like water, so that you cannot as easily lay a hand on them.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I was just reading in the ENTP thread and now I'm questioning whether my father really is an ENTP or whether he is an ESTP.
    Somebody said ENTPs don't have any faults - that's what triggered it.

The reason I thought he was not an S is because he has a horrible memory.
    Well, my ESTP mother has the worst memory out of everyone in my family. It's because she is literally shifting from moment to moment that she completely forgets about the previous moment.

MBTI
    INFJ

I read that you are questioning the T/F...

One thing that makes it clear that my mother is a T, despite her charm (she oozes it) and charismatic way with people is her blunt, inability to consider anyone else's feelings when making decisions and even talking to people - UNLESS she wants something out of them, which is a whole 'nother story. Remember, the ESTP is your classic salesman. She does have an uncanny ability to seize the moment and manipulate the current situation to get what she wants.

Growing up, my mother was very prone to in the moment, insensitive outbursts that usually involved cutting words very directed at the target (occasionally, my brother (INFP) and I - imagine how hurt the two NF's were! ha!).

ESTP's are normally very people intelligent. My mother comes off as spacey, but if you ge beyond her Se dominant, she really does know exactly what she's doing.

I hope this doesn't paint a bad picture of her, as she's an amazing person and very kind to her family. But it should shed some light on the behavior of an ESTP.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ESTPs seem to see things as more of a conflict, where someone has to win and lose (and, of course, you know which one THEY plan to be). So they seem to more quickly butt heads and push towards conflict, like the football star who overpowers the opposition.
    Or the "president" who strikes a pre-emptive war in an oil-rich country.

Sorry... it was just sitting there... so lonely. Begging for it, really.

ENTPs tend to be more playful because they see more possibilities inherent in the situation, rather than the win/lose scenario. Although they can "fight" when they want to, I have found they tend to dance around the conflict and flow like water, so that you cannot as easily lay a hand on them.
    Yes, your differentiation seems accurate to me.

MBTI
    xNFJ

I know sweetie! ALL people have faults. It's just that I have always seen my father as about 75% faults, and 25% good - so that's what triggered the idea that I might be wrong - and it turns out I WAS wrong.
    Ah, I see. Based on your descriptions I agree - more ESXP.

MBTI
    INTJ

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by quietgirl View Post
    I read that you are questioning the T/F...

One thing that makes it clear that my mother is a T, despite her charm (she oozes it) and charismatic way with people is her blunt, inability to consider anyone else's feelings when making decisions and even talking to people - UNLESS she wants something out of them, which is a whole 'nother story. Remember, the ESTP is your classic salesman. She does have an uncanny ability to seize the moment and manipulate the current situation to get what she wants.

Growing up, my mother was very prone to in the moment, insensitive outbursts that usually involved cutting words very directed at the target (occasionally, my brother (INFP) and I - imagine how hurt the two NF's were! ha!).

ESTP's are normally very people intelligent. My mother comes off as spacey, but if you ge beyond her Se dominant, she really does know exactly what she's doing.

I hope this doesn't paint a bad picture of her, as she's an amazing person and very kind to her family. But it should shed some light on the behavior of an ESTP.
    Thanks for your input.
    I'm still not sure yet.

I remember him coming home, walking into the living room where we were watching tv.
    He would walk over to the tv, and change the channel (before remotes were invented) to whatever he wanted to watch - as if we didn't even exist! That seems sort of T to me, but it could just be some other aspect that causes extremely selfish behavior.

MBTI
    ENTP

He's not likely to win a word battle with anyone.
    This alone excludes him from any running for ENTP status. To us, words are like... well, they're like extensions of our own bodies... or rather, minds. They do as we bid them; they're our minions to command

And about avoiding confrontations and not wanting to fire people - I've known a few ESTP's and they always like to be seen as the good guy. They're very image conscious and can't stand to not be liked or thought of or seen as the bad guy.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    This alone excludes him from any running for ENTP status. To us, words are like... well, they're like extensions of our own bodies... or rather, minds. They do as we bid them; they're our minions to command
    I thought you'd say that.

And about avoiding confrontations and not wanting to fire people - I've known a few ESTP's and they always like to be seen as the good guy. They're very image conscious and can't stand to not be liked or thought of or seen as the bad guy.
    That does seem to be one of his defining factors. He does project the nice guy image.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram

ExTP here... trying to find out which one I am. I can relate to both... depending on mood. Shoot some questions or keep making posts. Thx!