User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I travel quite often. I doubt I'll be affected by my community at all.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by stellar renegade View Post
    I thought this was pretty interesting: Keirsey's son's rankings of priorities according to each temperament
    To simplify, and as an initial guess -- the problem is one has to represent the concept in abstraction (which makes little sense).
    I think the original author's statement about simplification and the problems of trying to represent the concept in abstraction is the most telling... with that, I think he's right. There is such a thing as putting too much abstraction into a concept, and I think this is a good example - *especially* as it comes to type.

My guess is that most people who would put family low on the list are younger adults who don't have particularly good relationships with their parents/siblings - *and who don't have kids themselves*. I'll bet just about every parent, regardless of type, would put family right near or at the top (I'm not a parent myself), and I suspect that most people would have individual pretty close behind.

For me, I'd say that the only general statement I could make on this is:

Family (and friends)/Individual (these aren't easy to separate, actually) > World/Community (which to me is just a difference in scale, and not one of concept). And even saying that, it doesn't mean that I *don't* place importance on World/Community. It's just that my thoughts tend to go out to those I know and love first.

I don't think I'm at all unusual in that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Exactly right for me. (NT)

Family-individual-world-community

before I had a wife and kids of my own it would have been

Individual-world-family-community.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

1. Family & Community
    2. Individual
    3. World

I can't pick between family and friends, they're kinda one in the same to me.

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Right for me as well.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Why would you guys put family last?
    Because it just doesn't seem that relevant. My families views on most issues disagree with mine, and I don't see family ties as important enough to maintain despite severe political and emotional processing differences. I care about what things mean on a broader scale, and I'm not willing to brush that aside for comfortable relations with my family.

Well, I suppose it really depends on what you mean by family. If you literally mean blood relatives and in-laws (that's what I assumed), then it's very low.

But if you mean people that you get to know very well, and come to care about, rely and depend on over time, the way most people do with their families... then I would put it higher on the list. Basically, it depends on whether you mean "family" in a literal/physical or abstract sense.

I don't think it's fair that I should be expected to value someone more than anyone else I meet just because they're related to me, and regardless of what kind of people they are or what kind of person I am. It seems like a terrible and unfair idea.

If I do happen to value a family member, it's because of who they are, and not just "because they're family." That's a stupid and insufficient reason to care about someone, in my opinion. You should care about and value/respect them for who they are as a person, or not at all.

Does that make sense?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Because it just doesn't seem that relevant. My families views on most issues disagree with mine, and I don't see family ties as important enough to maintain despite severe political and emotional processing differences. I care about what things mean on a broader scale, and I'm not willing to brush that aside for comfortable relations with my family.

Well, I suppose it really depends on what you mean by family. If you literally mean blood relatives and in-laws (that's what I assumed), then it's very low.

But if you mean people that you get to know very well, and come to care about, rely and depend on over time, the way most people do with their families... then I would put it higher on the list. Basically, it depends on whether you mean "family" in a literal/physical or abstract sense.

I don't think it's fair that I should be expected to value someone more than anyone else I meet just because they're related to me, and regardless of what kind of people they are or what kind of person I am. It seems like a terrible and unfair idea.

If I do happen to value a family member, it's because of who they are, and not just "because they're family." That's a stupid and insufficient reason to care about someone, in my opinion. You should care about and value/respect them for who they are as a person, or not at all.

Does that make sense?
    Yes it does, actually. I am very close to my family and would die for each and everyone in my immediate family. I think immediate family is what this is talking about, because I don't know how relevant uncles and cousins and nephews would be, for instance.

But no worries, it comes with perspective, and I'm open.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?