User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I'm actually surprised that no one mentioned the fact that NOT hiring the most credentialed person would be frank discrimination. As the person making the hiring decision, you could lose your job hiring someone on a "hunch" without proper documentation.

My answers:

1. Yes.
    2. I try to hire people who I have the best instinct about, but selecting the obviously less-qualified person at this point would be contrary to fair hiring practices. And against the law where I live.
    3. 95% - Anyone who says 100% isn't thinking through all the possible negative outcomes.
    In response to #2.

That is why I would research and investigate, before making a concrete decision.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

^ Yes, and it would take measurable, quantifiable information - stuff on paper to prove that the so-so dude is better than the great-on-paper dude.

That's not easy. Especially if you work for a corporation or government agency that monitors such decisions. If you look like you are trying to hire the lesser person and finding info to support it you can be held legally accountable as well.

Just some extra thoughts not obvious perhaps to people who have never hired anyone in their lives! Ni is not allowed to call all the shots here ...

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

^ Yes, and it would take measurable, quantifiable information - stuff on paper to prove that the so-so dude is better than the great-on-paper dude.

That's not easy. Especially if you work for a corporation or government agency that monitors such decisions. If you look like you are trying to hire the lesser person and finding info to support it you can be held legally accountable as well.

Just some extra thoughts not obvious perhaps to people who have never hired anyone in their lives! Ni is not allowed to call all the shots here ...
    I did add that caveat to my original post. Because you're right. Any entity similar to a bureaucracy or business, can't operate on hunches. They want a paper trail, and objective information.

P.S.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

^

As the person making the hiring decision, you could lose your job hiring someone on a "hunch" without proper documentation.

It was hypothetical.
    The world is not coming to an end.

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    Off: Interesting. This may mean that I'm Te-dominant without strong (auxiliary) Ni - that makes me an ESTJ, right? This would contradict the fact that I do not "defend procedures" and that I hate administration. I have to think this through.

Err... most of the posters did trust their inuition
    Yeah, those that didn't suprised me.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    1. Do you trust this unjustifiable idea?
    2. Which one would you hire?
    3. How certain are you of your decision?
    1. Sort of, but not really.
    2. I don't know. I would need to investigate further. If I had to pick one instantly, though, I would pick the one with better credentials.
    3. Very uncertain. I am aware that the unconscious mind is capable of making connections that are too complex to make consciously, but I would have to ask myself... "Is this one of those instances?"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Ni is not allowed to call all the shots here ...
    "I just have a bad feeling about this guy"
    Tell me, why do you get 'a bad feeling about this guy'? Where does this 'feeling' come from? What it is, is your subconscious mind coming to a conclusion by all the information rounded within your mind being put together. Now your conscious mind may not know why you have a bad feeling. But your subconscious knows and has a conclusion. If you don't trust your subconscious mind and your knowledge then fine. Choose your 'excellent person' for the job.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    I did add that caveat to my original post. Because you're right. Any entity similar to a bureaucracy or business, can't operate on hunches. They want a paper trail, and objective information.
    This is exactly why I will never work for a bureaucracy or large business. Ni has typically led most of my hiring decisions.

In my answer to the question, though, I suppose I made the assumption that I was hiring someone who I'd be directly responsible for and that the hiring process was otherwise unrestricted.

If one were making hiring decisions as part of a human resources department, or if he part of an agency that expects paperwork or somesuch, it's obvious that he'd would have to provide justification for any hiring decision he makes. I'm pretty sure this question is attempting to capture trusting one's own intuition in decisions where one is solely responsible, though, and factors such as those are outside of its scope.

Is this a trick question??