User Tag List

First 45678 Last

1. Do you trust this unjustifiable idea?
    Yes. Despite it being the 'stupid' or less reliable way of making decisions.. I've just come to avoid telling people my actual reason for coming to my decicion and just telling them stuff that I'd found out while digging for more proof/evidence of being wrong. I doubt it, but by experience the idea is usually right.
    2. Which one would you hire?
    The second one, the one I have a better feel about.
    3. How certain are you of your decision?
    85%

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    "You've been interviewing candidates for a job.
    One of them has all the credentials, and scored the highest on all the company-defined criteria for the job.
    Another one of them was pretty good but not in the same league.
    You have a sense about the high-scorer, though, that he's bad news, and that the "so-so" one will work out well.
    You can't point to anything that's led you to this conclusion, you can't justify your belief, but you have this sense just the same."

Yes I would. Criteria and credentials don't tell you how well somebody work in a team. If I'm hiring somebody, I need to consider how well they fit with the rest of the group. This matters even if people have their individual projects, there will STILL be people interactions.

I'll hire the second guy with the less perfect record. Paper records aren't everything.

If I'm going along with my instinct, then I better be certain I can live with the decision shouldn't I?
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

One of them has all the credentials, and scored the highest on all the company-defined criteria for the job.
    You have a sense about the high-scorer, though, that he's bad news, and that the "so-so" one will work out well.
    You can't point to anything that's led you to this conclusion, you can't justify your belief, but you have this sense just the same."
    Yes
    The second
    100%

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I have never really understood what Ni looks like, but this thread has helped. One thing that stood out to me as I read this thread is that some of you stated or implied that you might not tell others "why" you came to the conclusion you did - even though you say that your Ni has been very accurate over a lifetime. Is this because people usually don't understand your explanation?

I mean, what would be wrong with telling your hiring colleague(s), "Look, I just have a really bad feeling about this person. I have a hunch or a gut instinct that this guy is trouble in the long run." If you and I are in charge of hiring for this position and you say this to me, I'm going to listen to you and at least consider what you are intuiting.

When you explain your Ni-based decisions to others, do you get a lot of these kind of looks?

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

1. Somewhat
    2. One I'd have the hunch for of qualifying the job, based on undefined qualities
    3. 85%

I know my Te, Ti, etc, so this wouldn't be a hunch out of the blue. It wouldn't be a ridiculous hunch. It would be based on something. So, I'd examine it somewhat - and I'm quite deliberate in examining some of my thoughts. But, I'd end up supporting the hunch rather than the numbers.

There's a big IF. What IF the organization in question evaluated me on my decisions, and it would give much better evaluation of me if I went by the corporate standards? I'd vote for corporate standards then, just to save my own ass. Or, I might talk about the other opportunity, see how it would work out for me, then make my decision.

I have my ideals, but I like things to turn out well for me, as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISTJ

Most people on the thread seems to trust their intuition. I envy you guys. I am always being surprised by flaky team members and the most flaky members seem to be those that sound confident and loudest.. while the most reliable members are those that are quiet.. perhaps this should my starting point.

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
    Most people on the thread seems to trust their intuition. I envy you guys. I am always being surprised by flaky team members and the most flaky members seem to be those that sound confident and loudest.. while the most reliable members are those that are quiet.. perhaps this should my starting point.
    I was raised in a predominate sensor environment and I've come to appreciate their views. The most you can ask of your teammates is to keep both their intuition and sensing in perspective. An excessive of either will hinder the progress rather than assist it. You could also try recruiting members who are skilled in one single area, and neutralize their weaknesses with someone who has those strengths. In essence, you're receiving the best of all worlds.

*Edit: Let's say, hypothetically, the only person who's capable of handling a certain job is the world's flakiest arsehole. You cannot hire more than one individual and you are left with the choice of recruiting the flaky arsehole and the mediocre (yet good) employee. I strongly advise the person to hire the flake, keep him on a leash, develop contingency plans, and offset his problems by the other employees who can withstand his trouble-making ordeals. Indeed, the company is taking a risk by hiring this individual and they should have the strategy to handle the potential dangers. And what is growth without some (calculated) risks? Win some, loose some. In the end, it should add up to a long-term placement on the winning side.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
    That's because those being loud and sounding confident, are most likely trying to convince themselves first and foremost. The truly confident don't have to announce it to the world, they already know.

MBTI
    nnnn

My answers:
    1. Yes
    2. The one I sensed would work out.
    3. 100%
    Generally connections are made fluently so that you can identify or have a sense of what it is that leads you to prefer one over the other. Ni is integrated insight...it's not cut off from your being, it originates from within. Fi and Te are also involved...this is a decision-making process after all.

The insight would make it so that the so-so on paper becomes excellent and the excellent one on paper becomes so-so. I would hire the best person for the job using all the angles I can look at.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

My answers:
    1. Yes
    2. The one I sensed would work out.
    3. 100%
    I'm actually surprised that no one mentioned the fact that NOT hiring the most credentialed person would be frank discrimination. As the person making the hiring decision, you could lose your job hiring someone on a "hunch" without proper documentation.

My answers:

1. Yes.
    2. I try to hire people who I have the best instinct about, but selecting the obviously less-qualified person at this point would be contrary to fair hiring practices. And against the law where I live.
    3. 95% - Anyone who says 100% isn't thinking through all the possible negative outcomes.