User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 126

  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    761

    Default

    1. Do you trust this unjustifiable idea?
    Yes. Despite it being the 'stupid' or less reliable way of making decisions.. I've just come to avoid telling people my actual reason for coming to my decicion and just telling them stuff that I'd found out while digging for more proof/evidence of being wrong. I doubt it, but by experience the idea is usually right.
    2. Which one would you hire?
    The second one, the one I have a better feel about.
    3. How certain are you of your decision?
    85%

  2. #52
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    "You've been interviewing candidates for a job.
    One of them has all the credentials, and scored the highest on all the company-defined criteria for the job.
    Another one of them was pretty good but not in the same league.
    You have a sense about the high-scorer, though, that he's bad news, and that the "so-so" one will work out well.
    You can't point to anything that's led you to this conclusion, you can't justify your belief, but you have this sense just the same."



    1. Do you trust this unjustifiable idea?
    Yes I would. Criteria and credentials don't tell you how well somebody work in a team. If I'm hiring somebody, I need to consider how well they fit with the rest of the group. This matters even if people have their individual projects, there will STILL be people interactions.

    2. Which one would you hire?
    I'll hire the second guy with the less perfect record. Paper records aren't everything.

    3. How certain are you of your decision?
    If I'm going along with my instinct, then I better be certain I can live with the decision shouldn't I?
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

  3. #53
    Listening Oaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    6,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    "You've been interviewing candidates for a job.
    One of them has all the credentials, and scored the highest on all the company-defined criteria for the job.
    Another one of them was pretty good but not in the same league.
    You have a sense about the high-scorer, though, that he's bad news, and that the "so-so" one will work out well.
    You can't point to anything that's led you to this conclusion, you can't justify your belief, but you have this sense just the same."
    1. Do you trust this unjustifiable idea?
    Yes
    2. Which one would you hire?
    The second
    3. How certain are you of your decision?
    100%

  4. #54
    Senior Member INTPness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    I have never really understood what Ni looks like, but this thread has helped. One thing that stood out to me as I read this thread is that some of you stated or implied that you might not tell others "why" you came to the conclusion you did - even though you say that your Ni has been very accurate over a lifetime. Is this because people usually don't understand your explanation?

    I mean, what would be wrong with telling your hiring colleague(s), "Look, I just have a really bad feeling about this person. I have a hunch or a gut instinct that this guy is trouble in the long run." If you and I are in charge of hiring for this position and you say this to me, I'm going to listen to you and at least consider what you are intuiting.

    When you explain your Ni-based decisions to others, do you get a lot of these kind of looks?

  5. #55
    filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    3,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    1. Do you trust this unjustifiable idea?
    2. Which one would you hire?
    3. How certain are you of your decision?
    1. Somewhat
    2. One I'd have the hunch for of qualifying the job, based on undefined qualities
    3. 85%

    I know my Te, Ti, etc, so this wouldn't be a hunch out of the blue. It wouldn't be a ridiculous hunch. It would be based on something. So, I'd examine it somewhat - and I'm quite deliberate in examining some of my thoughts. But, I'd end up supporting the hunch rather than the numbers.

    There's a big IF. What IF the organization in question evaluated me on my decisions, and it would give much better evaluation of me if I went by the corporate standards? I'd vote for corporate standards then, just to save my own ass. Or, I might talk about the other opportunity, see how it would work out for me, then make my decision.

    I have my ideals, but I like things to turn out well for me, as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  6. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Most people on the thread seems to trust their intuition. I envy you guys. I am always being surprised by flaky team members and the most flaky members seem to be those that sound confident and loudest.. while the most reliable members are those that are quiet.. perhaps this should my starting point.

  7. #57
    Obsession. Lethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni
    Posts
    801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
    Most people on the thread seems to trust their intuition. I envy you guys. I am always being surprised by flaky team members and the most flaky members seem to be those that sound confident and loudest.. while the most reliable members are those that are quiet.. perhaps this should my starting point.
    I was raised in a predominate sensor environment and I've come to appreciate their views. The most you can ask of your teammates is to keep both their intuition and sensing in perspective. An excessive of either will hinder the progress rather than assist it. You could also try recruiting members who are skilled in one single area, and neutralize their weaknesses with someone who has those strengths. In essence, you're receiving the best of all worlds.

    *Edit: Let's say, hypothetically, the only person who's capable of handling a certain job is the world's flakiest arsehole. You cannot hire more than one individual and you are left with the choice of recruiting the flaky arsehole and the mediocre (yet good) employee. I strongly advise the person to hire the flake, keep him on a leash, develop contingency plans, and offset his problems by the other employees who can withstand his trouble-making ordeals. Indeed, the company is taking a risk by hiring this individual and they should have the strategy to handle the potential dangers. And what is growth without some (calculated) risks? Win some, loose some. In the end, it should add up to a long-term placement on the winning side.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

    Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne


    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

  8. #58
    Charting a course
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
    Most people on the thread seems to trust their intuition. I envy you guys. I am always being surprised by flaky team members and the most flaky members seem to be those that sound confident and loudest.. while the most reliable members are those that are quiet.. perhaps this should my starting point.
    That's because those being loud and sounding confident, are most likely trying to convince themselves first and foremost. The truly confident don't have to announce it to the world, they already know.

  9. #59
    Senior Member Uytuun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    nnnn
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    "You've been interviewing candidates for a job.
    One of them has all the credentials, and scored the highest on all the company-defined criteria for the job.
    Another one of them was pretty good but not in the same league.
    You have a sense about the high-scorer, though, that he's bad news, and that the "so-so" one will work out well.
    You can't point to anything that's led you to this conclusion, you can't justify your belief, but you have this sense just the same."

    1. Do you trust this unjustifiable idea?
    2. Which one would you hire?
    3. How certain are you of your decision?

    My answers:
    1. Yes
    2. The one I sensed would work out.
    3. 100%
    Generally connections are made fluently so that you can identify or have a sense of what it is that leads you to prefer one over the other. Ni is integrated insight...it's not cut off from your being, it originates from within. Fi and Te are also involved...this is a decision-making process after all.

    The insight would make it so that the so-so on paper becomes excellent and the excellent one on paper becomes so-so. I would hire the best person for the job using all the angles I can look at.

  10. #60
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    "You've been interviewing candidates for a job.
    One of them has all the credentials, and scored the highest on all the company-defined criteria for the job.
    Another one of them was pretty good but not in the same league.
    You have a sense about the high-scorer, though, that he's bad news, and that the "so-so" one will work out well.
    You can't point to anything that's led you to this conclusion, you can't justify your belief, but you have this sense just the same."

    1. Do you trust this unjustifiable idea?
    2. Which one would you hire?
    3. How certain are you of your decision?

    My answers:
    1. Yes
    2. The one I sensed would work out.
    3. 100%
    I'm actually surprised that no one mentioned the fact that NOT hiring the most credentialed person would be frank discrimination. As the person making the hiring decision, you could lose your job hiring someone on a "hunch" without proper documentation.

    My answers:

    1. Yes.
    2. I try to hire people who I have the best instinct about, but selecting the obviously less-qualified person at this point would be contrary to fair hiring practices. And against the law where I live.
    3. 95% - Anyone who says 100% isn't thinking through all the possible negative outcomes.

Similar Threads

  1. Do You Trust Your Gut?
    By Smilephantomhive in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-05-2016, 05:28 PM
  2. [Ni] Can You Tell Me How You Explain Your Ni Perceptions?
    By Evolving Transparency in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-01-2014, 07:05 PM
  3. [Ni] How do you use your Ni? (INTJ/ENTJ)
    By fragrance in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 01:20 AM
  4. [Ni] How do you use your Ni? (INFJ/ENFJ)
    By fragrance in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-06-2011, 05:36 AM
  5. NJs how do you convince other people that to trust your Ni ?
    By Virtual ghost in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-29-2010, 03:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO