User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post

Who needs facts, evidence, and "reality" when you have Ni?
    You crack me up.

garbage

1. Do you trust this unjustifiable idea?
    Yes.

2. Which one would you hire?
    The "so-so" one.

3. How certain are you of your decision?
    Probably 80-90%. I do doubt myself at times, and I account for the fact that I could be wrong. But even if it turned out to be the wrong decision, I'd trust in my ability to just deal with it accordingly and adapt to the change in circumstance.

I've dealt with situations eerily similar to the scenario posed in the OP, in exactly the same way that the OP dealt with them.

blah blabh ablah something about me not using Ni because blahbal such and such a theory, tertiary temptation or something, devil function, yadda yadda

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    If I had a really bad feeling about the first guy I'd go searching for proof to back that feeling up.

There's got to be a reason for that feeling.

I'd trust my gut feeling, I'd hire the less qualified guy and be about 90% sure of myself.

But I'd also obsess about 'why' I had that gut feeling until I was able to put something reasonably applicable into words.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    1. Not in this lifetime. I need evidence to support my claims.
    2. None, until I do a thorough background search on the applicants.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    No, never. I would have to get some kind of tangible proof that he would be a good employee.
    The one with the better credentials.

Very similar posts.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    "You've been interviewing candidates for a job.
    One of them has all the credentials, and scored the highest on all the company-defined criteria for the job.
    Another one of them was pretty good but not in the same league.
    You have a sense about the high-scorer, though, that he's bad news, and that the "so-so" one will work out well.
    You can't point to anything that's led you to this conclusion, you can't justify your belief, but you have this sense just the same."

1. I am the most likely to doubt my Ni when dealing with people and assume that my gut instinct is simply Fi prejudice. However if I am able to at least identify traits in him such as inconsistencies, tone of voice, eye contact, (anything that would satisfy my own need for justification but not the company's) I will trust my instinct.

2. To be honest, it depends on whether or not I would be directly affected by him. If I'm going to be working in close proximity to him, I will likely choose the candidate I have a good feeling about, especially as I'm not as interested in company policy as I am in employee integrity.

3. I would probably be uncertain at first, but by the time the action is put in place I am usually sure of myself. It's not the end of the world if I get stuck with an employee who is only satisfactory.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Very similar posts.
    In some ending respects, yes. Process-wise? Not sure.

When I have a lifetime to make decisions solely based on Ni, is this the best moment to act upon 'one' instinct, and to disregard the rest? Would it be wiser to use my Ni in an area where it counts -- such as planning or strategy? How much of a difference is the "so-so" scoring to highest scoring? And in terms of the company results? What skills does my company currently seek? Do we have the resources to train anyone less than the top workers? If I reject these applicants, will there be any new ones? Etc. These are the type of questions I should know before interviewing for the company.

Under the following conditions: 1.) Limited training resources; 2.) Limited interviewing time; 3.) Desperate need for skilled workers & 4.) Limited applicants, I will create my own trick interview questions (which I probably would regardless) tackling the common problem areas in my company. This should both give enough "evidence" and sedate any paranoia I may have. In the face of unfavorable conditions, I'd strive to accommodate myself by using all the creativity, knowledge and other tools I have.

Finally, after this incident, I'd set up a system that balances both the interviewer's instincts and what can be directly observed. Who wouldn't get 'bad vibes' every now and then? If I still get negative feedback, then my decision will be based on my quick analysis of the occurrences. This cannot be decided prior to an experience.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

"You've been interviewing candidates for a job.
    One of them has all the credentials, and scored the highest on all the company-defined criteria for the job.
    Another one of them was pretty good but not in the same league.
    You have a sense about the high-scorer, though, that he's bad news, and that the "so-so" one will work out well.
    You can't point to anything that's led you to this conclusion, you can't justify your belief, but you have this sense just the same."

Yes, with some reservations.
    I definitely WOULDN'T hire the high-scorer I got the bad feeling about. He'd be off the table. I'd probably call the "so-so" one back in for another interview in order to feel the vibes again, call up his references for their opinion (if he had any), and ask other people what kind of "feel" they get from him. I mean specifically, I'd say, "aside from the credentials, what was your impression of X as a person?" If other people had a good impression of him too, I'd probably hire him. After all, they're going to have to work with him, and getting an idea of how well they're going to get along with him is important.
    If I can call him back in for another interview along with some other applicants, 95%. If I can't, about 75%.

I have to admit, though, it's a no-brainer for me because I don't value credentials as much as character and overall sense of competence. Credentials can be gotten without competence, and many competent people don't have any credentials and are constantly overlooked. I'm more likely to trust a competent person with a good character to be able to figure out what's required, than a person who has "experience" and "education" and might very well constantly misapply what they've learned. This is the sort of thing you can tell just by interacting with a person. I trust my own impression of a person's intelligence and character more than some silly external measuring stick.

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    1. I am the most likely to doubt my Ni when dealing with people and assume that my gut instinct is simply Fi prejudice. However if I am able to at least identify traits in him such as inconsistencies, tone of voice, eye contact, (anything that would satisfy my own need for justification but not the company's) I will trust my instinct.
    Nice answers. Our experiences will inevitably color our instincts. If someone has several terrible encounters with a cultural group, they will become hesitant in approaching someone from that group. As an interviewer, I should be fully aware of the biases I have, and question my perception of someone at all times. We won't know how great the applicants will turn out to be until we test our options. Keep in mind that first impressions are liable to inaccuracy.

To answer the title question: I don't completely trust my Ni in this situation, but I would at other times.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

One of two results usually happen when I have a feeling about someone.
    1. I stay quiet and bide my time but the feeling never leaves my mind, mayhap confessing something to my sister so I have an outside source keeping track.. and then EVENTUALLY down the road something happens that makes the light bulb go off as to why I felt the way I did, and with my evidence there, it's effectively too little too late... something I merely note.
    Or.
    2. I have an initial feeling of wrongness about someone, and I effectively ignore it because I lack evidence and trust the person and what they say until they give me reason otherwise.. usually I end up kicking myself in the rear with this one.

Neither of these results proves very successful. I'd go with my instinct with jobs. Credentials are aids.. but they do not make a good employee by themselves. I'd rather a person that has enthusiasm, a great attitude, and a willingness to learn over someone with experience that's nonchalant.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

1) Yes, absolutely. My Ni has bailed me out so many times that I have to trust it. The times when problems have cropped up are when I ignore it in favour of the "justifiable".

2) Neither at that point. I'd wait for more applications for the job to come in, and pick the best out of the lot. If so-so is still the best option at that point, I'd pick so-so, just because qualifications are not everything. In a team environment, someone highly qualified but with no sense of the team goal or ability to get along with others can be counter-productive.

3) Very certain.