User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I would hire the person my gut told me to, no question about it. I wouldn't think twice.

But yeah, that's not necessarily Ni -- it's some combination of Sensing and Intuition, not really having anything to do with introversion or extroversion.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Damn thing has a tendency to give out on me since I cut the wrong way playing football a few years ago. The pain...

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I'd hire the one I have a good feeling about, although if this was an actual situation then I'm sure the contextual factors would affect that (like how critical are these credentials? What do their references say about them? Why do I get such a bad feeling about this candidate?)

I fully trust my Ni in personal situations but when it comes to work, hear it but double check it. It also depends on how closely this employee works with me. The closer, the more I listen to Ni since not only talent and skill matter but the ability to work in a complementary way. Who needs employee stress?

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

"You've been interviewing candidates for a job.
    One of them has all the credentials, and scored the highest on all the company-defined criteria for the job.
    Another one of them was pretty good but not in the same league.
    You have a sense about the high-scorer, though, that he's bad news, and that the "so-so" one will work out well.
    You can't point to anything that's led you to this conclusion, you can't justify your belief, but you have this sense just the same."

1. Do you trust this unjustifiable idea?

Yes, I often have strong hunches about people that are hard to ignore.

2. Which one would you hire?

I'd be really tempted to hire the so-so candidate but I wouldn't feel comfortable just hiring until I have more solid evidence to back up the claim.
    Besides what if candidate #1 asks why he or she wasn't hired, then what do you say? You could be in for a potential lawsuit.

What I'd do, is invite both candidates back for an additional interview, tailoring the questions in such a way as to see if my hunch about the first candidate was right. Reference checks before hiring can be very useful too. Then I might be better able to tell if my bad feeling about candidate #1 is just due to some personal quark of mine or if there is a good solid reason.

3. How certain are you of your decision?

I dunno, maybe about 80%? Certainty would most likely increase upon additional interviewing and reference checks but would never be 100%. Because I think its absolutely impossible to be 100% certain but you can get pretty close to that.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    I fully trust my Ni in personal situations but when it comes to work, hear it but double check it. It also depends on how closely this employee works with me. The closer, the more I listen to Ni since not only talent and skill matter but the ability to work in a complementary way. Who needs employee stress?
    Thinking about all of this raises a question in my mind. The thing is, I very much to trust my Ni. That being said, particularly in hiring situations, where you are forced to make judgments about people, that they and you are stuck with, I become very cautious. Hiring the wrong people causes pain - for me and for others.

So it causes me to wonder why this particular situation or scenario is different than any other scenario where you need to make a decision. Is because it is a decision about people? Is it because it is an important decision? Is it about particular risks with this specific type of situation? Is it something else? Or is it no different.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Thinking about all of this raises a question in my mind. The thing is, I very much to trust my Ni. That being said, particularly in hiring situations, where you are forced to make judgments about people, that they and you are stuck with, I become very cautious. Hiring the wrong people causes pain - for me and for others.
    I agree that it affects everyone but when it comes to hiring where you're not working closely with the other person, any personality conflicts between the two of you are less significant than other employees. Can't speak for other ENTJs but I'm murder on someone who doesn't perform to the level I need. They don't have to do it exactly my way but they'd better get to the end goal in the most efficient and productive way and be prepared to get the hell outta' my way when they're not up to the task.

So it causes me to wonder why this particular situation or scenario is different than any other scenario where you need to make a decision. Is because it is a decision about people? Is it because it is an important decision? Is it about particular risks with this specific type of situation? Is it something else? Or is it no different.
    When it comes to personal, the only ramifications to making a mistake are solely mine. The buck stops at me.

When it comes to business, the company, division and myself, will all feel the effects of a bad hire hence the need for verification, as well as taking into consideration how difficult I can be to work closely with. Most of my previous staff were far more relaxed personality types than I am so if something didn't feel right as it relates to me, this doesn't mean this potential star couldn't be a good fit with the rest.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I believe in the listen, keep-an-open-mind, attempt-to-verify technique.

It goes something like this:

1. Listen to my intuition.
    2. Keep an open mind about what it's saying.
    3. Attempt to verify.

Hence, when I'm interviewing somebody, I generally take over an hour, and I generally vet them very thoroughly.

My intuition is a great scout, and I am extremely open-minded when it comes to listening to what it has to say, but I believe I'd be doing myself a great disservice if I were to listen to it without doing everything I could to verify its conclusions more concretely.

I quickly got a good reputation for my interviewing abilities, and, as a result, when I was 25, I was put in charge of recruiting for the research department at my company.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Maybe I'm just crazy, but I believe in the listen, keep-an-open-mind, attempt-to-verify technique.

It goes something like this:

1. Listen to my intuition.
    2. Keep an open mind about what it's saying.
    3. Attempt to verify.

Hence, when I'm interviewing somebody, I generally take over an hour, and I generally vet them very thoroughly.

My intuition is a great scout, and I am extremely open-minded when it comes to listening to what it has to say, but I believe I'd be doing myself a great disservice if I were to listen to it without doing everything I could to verify its conclusions more concretely.

I quickly got a good reputation for my interviewing abilities, and, as a result, when I was 25, I was put in charge of recruiting for the research department at my company.
    Same here with thoroughness. Recruiting knows not to schedule 30 or 45 minutes for me (the standard). They schedule an hour because they know these things. I guess I've hired a lot of people over the years. Track record is pretty good. The times I've made mistakes are when I was not thorough enough (and thought someone else was) or I let my personal enthusiasm for a particular candidate override feedback from others that possess good judgment.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

I am high Ni, would listen to my Ni, hire the other candidate, and stand by my decision 100%.

This just happened to me in real life. I sat in a roomful of people and gave the lone negative opinion against an amiable candidate that they all liked.

My Ni is an excellent truth detector....Now they realize they should have listened to me.

(Note: I would not have been able to make this call as a 20- or even a 30-year old...This confidence in my Ni has only come with middle age.)