User Tag List

123 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Do you strongly prefer some attributes in the Big Five system?

Neuroticism: prefer low levels in myself and other.

As a personal matter, I strongly believe being over 50% neurotic can't do any good for a person. People are ok, lovable and great and all even to higher neurotic scores, but they'd be much better off with lower neuroticism scores.

Openness to experience: wide range is ok, apart from the extreme 5% either way.

Agreeableness: wide range is ok. I'd like low agreeableness to be balanced by being open or calm, as opposed to neurotic or "closed-minded". Imagine a crackpot or some closed-minded person sticking to his guns no matter what. Wouldn't want that.

Conscientiousness: I think it takes an effort to be conscientious, and optimum would be about 70% on the scale from 0 to 100. People with Low conscientiousness seem unreliable, non-accomplishing liars in the worst, and too conscientious people seem to lose the idea of why we live in the world in the first place, important part of which is to enjoy life. Still, I generally look up to the people who are more conscientious than I.

Extroversion: I'd prefer people to avoid being extremely introverted, or very extroverted. It's too freaking slow to get anything out of too introverted people, while much too extroverted people shut me down, which is a rare occasion.

As a follow-up question, are there some Big 5 attributes you'd dislike in a mate?

Some attributes - or levels in attributes - that would warrant a person to develop them for their own sake?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFJ

I still don't understand what neuroticism means in big five.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Neuroticism, as originally defined by Hans Eysenck, is how much a person tends to hold on to more readily experience a lot of negative emotions. The Five Factor Model may or may not have revised/added to the definitions, but it's still the basic concept. In an instrument called TDI (Type Differentiation Indicator) that attempts to add the factor to MBTI, it's called "Comfort-Discomfort".
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Neuroticism, as originally defined by Hans Eysenck, is how much a person tends to hold on to negative emotions. The Five Factor Model may or may not have revised/added to the definitions, but it's still the basic concept. In an instrument called TDI (Type Differentiation Indicator) that attempts to add the factor to MBTI, it's called "Comfort-Discomfort".
    What is considered holding on to negative emotions?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Actually, that should have been "ability to experience negative emotions". "Holding onto' was an earlier idea called "response sustain".

But "holding onto" meant, like someone who tends to stay angry or depressed, in contrast to someone else who gets over those things quickly. Eysenck had used the ancient temperaments and determined that the Melancholic and Choleric fell into the former, and the Sanguine and Phlegmatic, the latter. Hence, an apparent higher "ability to experience" those emotions.
    The people who developed the FFM used the factor without the temperaments, but it's still pretty much the same idea.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

loooool, i guess my 0% extroversion and 98% neuroticism wouldn't be too popular then

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Actually, that should have been "ability to experience negative emotions". "Holding onto' was an earlier idea called "response sustain".

But "holding onto" meant, like someone who tends to stay angry or depressed, in contrast to someone else who gets over those things quickly. Eysenck had used the ancient temperaments and determined that the Melancholic and Choleric fell into the former, and the Sanguine and Phlegmatic, the latter. Hence, an apparent higher "ability to experience" those emotions.
    The people who developed the FFM used the factor without the temperaments, but it's still pretty much the same idea.
    Where is anxiety in that bad-emotion cocktail?

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Requeim View Post
    loooool, i guess my 0% extroversion and 98% neuroticism wouldn't be too popular then
    Well, that was just my preference. Someone with 0% extroversion would be too intimidated or aggravated by what - and how much - I say, whereas they'd be fine with someone 25% extroverted.

Internet is a good media for the introverted - discussion seems to flow great here, esp. on this forum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

My preferences are similar to yours, Santtu, although I am more ambivalent about coscentiousness. I do have some coscentiousness (score around 65), although I don't necessarily enjoy that aspect of myself - in some ways, being coscentious is another form of neuroticism.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

garbage

I kind of prefer agreeable people, because disagreeable people are a pain in the ass to talk to and work with