• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Explain...

Frank

... your presumed dominant function and how it rules your world in a sentence or more. I'll start:

Pragmatically precocious. Either it works or it doesn't. Who gives a shit about all the in between stuff. I want results dammit!

Frank

Come on you pussies. I want real world examples not internet definitions.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[Ni] swimming in a sea of possibility; hazy, lazy, crazy............

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
kandinsky.composition.7.1913.jpg

Oh...you wanted it in words?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Never-ending supply of excuses for pretty much any possible scenario.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Emphatically experiencing another life / soul / pov ...

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Ah yes but...

(okay it's a combination but so's the ENTJ, neither is purely one function)

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'll need this done. I've seen it's for the best, I can get it done. (edit: If I choose to do it, all the problems I'll encounter will be manageable), so it'll turn out just fine for me.

Edit 2: sorry to ask, but were I describing one or two functions in there? :huh:

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Why, why, why... Oh! I get it now.

G

garbage

It's like a mental version of one of those action movie scenes where the dude is just running toward the end of a big open room and dodging all sorts of enemy fire, explosions, and traps without even having to think about it, also seamlessly using the environment and all sorts of little props that he finds along the way to his advantage

something like that

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Your thread title is terrible. An insufficient hook for an otherwise superb idea of a thread. "Explain your dominant function" would have been a far more tantalizing subject, as people tend to be very married to that function and it is easy to identify its purpose and process. People tend to be excited to talk about themselves, much to my perpetual chagrin.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Your thread title is terrible. An insufficient hook for an otherwise superb idea of a thread. "Explain your dominant function" would have been a far more tantalizing subject, as people tend to be very married to that function and it is easy to identify its purpose and process. People tend to be excited to talk about themselves, much to my perpetual chagrin.

I've always played around with the idea of a "What are the gifts of the dominant function?" type thread.

I've noticed that as an Fi dom user, I seem to have access to certain aspects of Fi that even the Fi aux's lack. Likewise, I've had an ENTJ 10 years younger than me blow me away with expertise they were able to apply Te to a situation. It was on a completely higher level compared to how I use it, and it really showed me the difference between 'being Te dom', and 'using Te'.

Now that would be an interesting thread topic. The problem, of course, is that Fi/Ne isn't very good at crafting original posts, so my attempts to create the thread have usually failed. Where's that damn Ti when you need it?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I've always played around with the idea of a "What are the gifts of the dominant function?" type thread.

I've noticed that as an Fi dom user, I seem to have access to certain aspects of Fi that even the Fi aux's lack. Likewise, I've had an ENTJ 10 years younger than me blow me away with expertise they were able to apply Te to a situation. It was on a completely higher level compared to how I use it, and it really showed me the difference between 'being Te dom', and 'using Te'.

Now that would be an interesting thread topic. The problem, of course, is that Fi/Ne isn't very good at crafting original posts, so my attempts to create the thread have usually failed. Where's that damn Ti when you need it?

I do think it's a good idea. I also agree with you about the differences between dominant and tertiary/inferior function users. The pros can blow you away. Also, I think it's interesting how, for example, INTPs treat Fe vs how ENFJs will treat Ti. Your dominant style colors everything you do.

Liminality

MBTI Type
ISFx
Enneagram
6w7
Multiple vib ribbon mind maps on speed or tranqulizers.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do think it's a good idea. I also agree with you about the differences between dominant and tertiary/inferior function users. The pros can blow you away. Also, I think it's interesting how, for example, INTPs treat Fe vs how ENFJs will treat Ti. Your dominant style colors everything you do.

Yes.

For example, when I create a Te based list, there's always a decent chance I'll throw it out. What seems to happen is that the list is created in service of whatever value or goal Fi desires, so the creation is fun. I explore Fi using Si/Te techniques to gather data and contexts, and exercise my Ne to create options and brainstorm. Fun!

However, the execution of the list requires energy directed to doing specific things. They can quickly distract me from the high level exploration of my thoughts, and it starts to lose its point. Fi is no longer being satiated. I can sometimes find myself grow resentful of the well intentioned plan I created to better myself.

At which point, the list is quickly discarded or changed.

Whereas I've noticed with an ENTJ, they create the list much like they breathe, and they are unrelenting until the list is completed. They may sometimes struggle for greater meaning, but that list is getting done!

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In real life Fi makes me judgmental of people and things. I'm usually looking at people's behavior and intentions. I can pretty much see what matters in a situation easily, and what is irrelevant (since Fi is said to deal with "values", and in this case what is of value in the given situation). Usually when I talk I'm coming from a personal point of view, "well when I did this it was like this" or "I get the feeling it's gonna be like this" etc. Or I may reference what it would be like when someone else was doing it, as if I were in their position. "I don't think that someone would do this because of X" and things like that. I also judge situations, so for example in a class if we're doing a very stupid exercise that won't help anyone learn I'll be thinking "Wow, this is really dumb and useless" or something like that, and I usually express my disdain to someone I talk to in the class.