User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I never think of it in terms of capability, there is a big difference between skillful use of a function and simply using a function because that's what's comfortable to you.

People want MBTI to be about skill (as an ego boost maybe?) but I don't think it was meant to be used that way.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I never think of it in terms of capability, there is a big difference between skillful use of a function and simply using a function because that's what's comfortable to you.

People want MBTI to be about skill (as an ego boost maybe?) but I don't think it was meant to be used that way.
    Oh that too, well stated.

I've met many people who's skill does not match their profile, such as my ENFJ friend who's about as empathic as a tank shell... most of the time.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    I

Definitely descriptive. Predictive behavior depends on more complex attributes, and also includes environment.

MBTI
    ENFP

I'm going with descriptive too. There is just too much variation within each type for it to be predictive with any real success!
    ... couldn't drag me away

Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

So if everyone thinks it's descriptive then why is it used so much for predictive work? It's like the age old question of "what is the meaning of life" to which the answer is nothing because you're analysing the abstraction, not the reality.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    So if everyone thinks it's descriptive then why is it used so much for predictive work? It's like the age old question of "what is the meaning of life" to which the answer is nothing because you're analysing the abstraction, not the reality.
    Could you give some examples of how people use it in predictive ways... because I'm not sure if I do that or not, but I think I might to a certain degree.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Could you give some examples of how people use it in predictive ways... because I'm not sure if I do that or not, but I think I might to a certain degree.
    As in it should be "these are INTJ traits, you should (having been typed as an INTJ, obviously not you you ESFJ in disguise but the global you), show these tendencies and this leads me to believe that this is most probable" versus "you are an INTJ and INTJ's do this".

One is using the language of MBTI to communicate more succinctly (it's greatest asset as a system in my opinion) where as the other tries to make the abstraction a reality.

Many do the latter. The books often hint that you should but the most wise users of MBTI seem to halt short of it and remain in the camp of using it for communication and description primarily.

(Note there is no hard distinction between the two (a bit like most of the "dichotomies") but there seems to be a certain point when it goes from sage advice to myopic assumption.)