User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Nunki View Post
    whether that theory proves useful and makes accurate predictions.
    Neither MBTI nor astrology make accurate predictions. What they do is play on our wishes and desires.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    So if anyone wants to learn how to safely validate one another over the internet, let me know.
    I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    What percent of the public (in the Western world) do you think knows about MBTI?
    Well, the military know, and business knows, and psychology departments know.

And it's been popular with the public since WW II.

It listens to our wishes and desires and never contradicts them, quite unlike reality.

Let's face it - our wishes and desires are dearer to us than reality can ever be.

Bless our cotton socks.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    I do.
    OK, I've been here before. So I don't want to waste my time if you are not really interested.

If you are interested I can tell you how we can learn to safely validate one another.

And also I would ask for a limited commitment of time.

So if you are more than just curious and are prepared to make a limited commitment of time, I will proceed.

Victor.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Well, the military know, and business knows, and psychology departments know.

And it's been popular with the public since WW II.

It listens to our wishes and desires and never contradicts them, quite unlike reality.

Let's face it - our wishes and desires are dearer to us than reality can ever be.

Bless our cotton socks.
    1% of the public? 2% maybe?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    1% of the public? 2% maybe?
    I have never met anyone who knows about MBTI. The only people I know in real life who know about it is my family, and 3 friends whom I introduced it to.

2% at most.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

OK, I've been here before. So I don't want to waste my time if you are not really interested.

If you are interested I can tell you how we can learn to safely validate one another.

And also I would ask for a limited commitment of time.

So if you are more than just curious and are prepared to make a limited commitment of time, I will proceed.

Victor.
    I'm supposed to commit before I know what I'm commiting to?

Do I get a yaucht too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Neither MBTI nor astrology make accurate predictions. What they do is play on our wishes and desires.
    The main desire the MBTI plays on is just to help us make sense of things and empower us. That's all any theory really wants to do. Aside from that, there are a lot self-congratulatory type descriptions, definitely, and these are bound to draw people in. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, though. We're always trying to find empowering identities, things that we can see ourselves in and use as focal devices to draw out our virtues and develop a sense of self. Sometimes this can be a self-fulfilling prophecy in the sense that we identify so much with a profile that we actually become that profile. And that can be useful, especially when you have profiles, like those in the MBTI, that come packaged with ideas for growth and improvement. There are risks involved, yes, but that goes for any system that categorizes people and things.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Making predictions with MBTI is indeed bullshit. Using MBTI as a descriptive tool, and then making predictions based on the traits you've narrowed in on (and hopefully others) isn't necessarily bullshit.

For example, if you meet person X and know a bit about MBTI, it may help you think about person X to use the MBTI framework. You might be quicker to notice something like, "oh, person X seems to place great importance on concepts like 'right' and 'wrong'". Since you've realized that, you may be able to make inferences about their future actions more quickly than you would without MBTI.

Same goes for astrology, I guess.

But most people seem to make all sorts of wacky inferences with MBTI (just look at all the threads on this site!), and in that sense, it may do more overall harm than good. But it's all a matter of how you apply it.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    I'm supposed to commit before I know what I'm commiting to?

Do I get a yaucht too?
    Now, now Bluemonday, I want to make sure this is not an idle request on your part.

For if you decide to proceed, you will be required to make a commitment of time.

I'm not frivolous and I don't expect you to be either.

Victor.