• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI stereotypes

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Come join my commune. We have candy. :)

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I say that there are intelligent Sensors, unintelligent Sensors, intelligent iNtuitives, and unintelligent iNtuitives.
The difference between a Sensor and an iNtuitive is NOT that the Sensor can't understand the abstract, it is simply that he prefers the concrete.. things that are real over things that he cannot see.

As someone who goes to a highly selective university, I have met a lot of very intelligent SJ's and SP's. Don't kid yourselves! Maybe it's because I'm at pre-professional Duke and not uber-intellectual University of Chicago.. but the majority at my school is still S by far. Maybe 65/35 instead of the typical 75/25..but that's the most.

I would say it is 50% SJ and 50% non-SJ. It bothers me when people try to associate certain personality types as unintelligent, that is a stupid thing to do.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Duke? Wow. You must be packing some seriously good grades. :)

redacted

I say that there are intelligent Sensors, unintelligent Sensors, intelligent iNtuitives, and unintelligent iNtuitives.
The difference between a Sensor and an iNtuitive is NOT that the Sensor can't understand the abstract, it is simply that he prefers the concrete.. things that are real over things that he cannot see.

As someone who goes to a highly selective university, I have met a lot of very intelligent SJ's and SP's. Don't kid yourselves! Maybe it's because I'm at pre-professional Duke and not uber-intellectual University of Chicago.. but the majority at my school is still S by far. Maybe 65/35 instead of the typical 75/25..but that's the most.

I would say it is 50% SJ and 50% non-SJ. It bothers me when people try to associate certain personality types as unintelligent, that is a stupid thing to do.

i agree with your conclusions, but disagree with your assumption that people who get into selective schools are necessarily intelligent.

i go to cal and almost everyone here is boring and unintelligent...whether they're N or S. sure, there's a higher percentage of smart people here than most places, but that doesn't mean most people here are smart :)

but yeah, the majority of people here are SJ. probably about 50%

augmented

MBTI Type
ENTP
i don't know though...i also go to a highly selective university and it just seems like eeeeeveryone who comes out of their room and drinks and socializes with me is fuckin N. there are two girls who i hang out with that are S, one's ESTJ and the other is ESFP i think with really good Te (though she'd say ESFJ but shes a slut and doesn't understand reputation so not Fe imo). anyway, those 2 girls clearly seem the least smart or interesting of any of my friends.

iono if its self-selecting or me-selecting, but these guys are the coolest, smartest people i've ever met, and they're N N N N N N.

actually i set my buddy list on aim (50 buddies) into 4 categories. i have 22 NJ, 14 NP, 7 SP, 7 SJ. so iono, strong correlation.

redacted

ha. well i guess you need to stick out way way more to get into stanford than cal.

all you need to do to get into cal is try really fucking hard in high school. sticking out got me in, i guess, but it's not the norm here like it is there.

(i hate you)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
^^

Hahahaahaha

Dissonance's hate of Stanford is really funny. I live near Palo Alto and going on campus is annoying with all those freaking Stanford rats and their freaking bikes. Get out of the street so I can jump the curb and chase you!!!

;)

redacted

i feign hatred for stanford because i'd much rather be there than here. like my bro said, his friends are all awesome and smart.

my friends aren't that interesting, and my classes are full of idiots.

ygolo

My termites win
Cal should go should go through another season of football dominating the Pac-10 and lose to Stanford (which will likely again be near the bottom) just for the shame of it, once again.

That'll be a hoot.

EDIT: I kid. I kid.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
SJ's are seen as rigid and closed minded. However, I would say they are traditional, so if the tradition is to be flexible and open minded, then they will become such. They simply have a strong desire for rules and familiarality, because of this it takes a little more time for them to change their views.

SFP's are seen as unintellectual. I would try and counter, but all my real life experiences have supported this. I would say that they have a different kind of intellect, but I'm too tired after a long lecture to feel about that.

STP's are seen as steel hearted. This is how I see them anyway, is this true?

NF's are seen as whiney, facist, and preachy. Never met an NF like this, they're probably the most accepting of people, especially NFP's. I've always seen them as the people who find it awkward to talk about their views and morals. Maybe that's just INF's.

NT's are seen as cold hearted and cynical. To which I say :hug: . Remember when you pretended to be hurt as a kid to get attention? They're the ones who never grow out of it. Seriously though, I don't know many NT's (2), but one of them is very caring and considerate (to people he thinks are intelligent anyway), the other is all cute trying to pretend he doesn't have emotions, which leads to him not realising when his feelings are showing. During these moments everyone knows exactly how he's going to act, even though he doesn't.

This is fundamentally good stuff, except I'm not sure I entirely agree with the bit about NTs pretending to be hurt to get attention, but the rest is okay. I do identify with both NT and STP.

The best way to see types for what they are, is probably to get the common denominators they share. I've seen loud and violent ISFP's, and non-judgemental, uncontrolling ENTJ's. It's going to be difficult.

You're right about that. Often, people's interpretations of the types are based solely on the stereotypes they encountered. However, one has to make sure one doesn't conflate what one believes to be stereotypes with very common tendencies within the types e.g. "stereotypically, ESTPs are good at being flexible" (the fact of the matter is, ESTPs aren't stereotypically flexible; rather, it's part of their nature to be so. I simply couldn't imagine a wholly inflexible ESTP).

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Cal and Stanford are both pretty sweet schools! Reminds me a little of the Duke/UNC rivalry though... :devil:.. except don't expect me to take a side here.

i agree with your conclusions, but disagree with your assumption that people who get into selective schools are necessarily intelligent.

I agree with you on that, one of my main points was that a lot of the really smart people I've met in college are definitely S and not N. They are often more interested in areas like business or engineering than your typical liberal arts because they are much more practical and hands-on.

i don't know though...i also go to a highly selective university and it just seems like eeeeeveryone who comes out of their room and drinks and socializes with me is fuckin N. there are two girls who i hang out with that are S, one's ESTJ and the other is ESFP i think with really good Te (though she'd say ESFJ but shes a slut and doesn't understand reputation so not Fe imo). anyway, those 2 girls clearly seem the least smart or interesting of any of my friends.
I have two theories on this.
a.) You naturally attract iNtuitive types, I know I did in high school and still do in college, my best friends were INTJ, ENTP, ISTJ, INFJ, ISFP, and an INFP (she's also my twin!). I think you likely picked out of all the iNtuitive types. Most of the people I met in college who I really click with are fellow N's. I am friends with people in my fraternity and people in my dorm, almost all of my close dorm-friends are N-types.
b.) Your view on the N/S dichotomy could be somewhat distorted. Many of the people you are typing as N could actually be S-types. A highly intelligent Sensing type can seem iNtuitive at times because of stereotypes. If you don't already, I'd recommend using Keirsey as a start. Figure out if they seem more NT/NF OR SP/SJ.

augmented

MBTI Type
ENTP
i'd say the first theory makes a lot more sense than the second, i mean i've studied all the functions and stuff and literally spend all my time thinking about this shit and how it applies to my friends so i'm pretty sure i have everyone typed accurately. i guess my only point of confusion is when to call someone an FJ when they might just be an EFP with strong Te, cause i know anyone that takes the basic test will score J...pretty much everyone that gets into stanford has some good organization skills i guess.

but still, i know the difference between N and S when i see it. there are a shitload of people in my dorm who are obviously S, and theyre all on the first floor. i just don't hang out with them cause we don't really share interests...so iono. i just feel like every interesting person i've met here is N.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I think some of the stereotypes about SJ's are a little unfair. It's not just that they are perhaps unfair, but moreso that because of our understanding of SJ's, they are taken more seriously. A stereotype of an NF is probably given more flexibility because NF's are known to be a little more eccentric, but SJ's are supposed to be clingers to the status quo and thus I think a lot of the stereotypes are seen as more absolute than they really are.

Some of these stereotypes include:

-Boring
-Close-minded
-Controlling
-Formal
-Conforming

I know some very interesting SJ's (some of whom are tested), and they are also very accepting and tolerant and appreciative of people different from themselves for the most part. They are also whacky and weird sometimes, and can be a lot of fun.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I think some of the stereotypes about SJ's are a little unfair. It's not just that they are perhaps unfair, but moreso that because of our understanding of SJ's, they are taken more seriously. A stereotype of an NF is probably given more flexibility because NF's are known to be a little more eccentric, but SJ's are supposed to be clingers to the status quo and thus I think a lot of the stereotypes are seen as more absolute than they really are.

Some of these stereotypes include:

-Boring
-Close-minded
-Controlling
-Formal
-Conforming

I know some very interesting SJ's (some of whom are tested), and they are also very accepting and tolerant and appreciative of people different from themselves for the most part. They are also whacky and weird sometimes, and can be a lot of fun.

SJs are amazing.

They're the freaking backbone of society. If we didn't have them, we'd have NTs arguing about the most efficient order of society while simultaneously getting sidetracked by every scientific shiny that comes our way, the NFs would try to overthrow the oppressive NT regime because they stomped on some human rights group along the way, and the whole time the SPs would be partying and going skydiving and otherwise not doing anything productive. :doh:

Life with SJs may be bad, but life without them would be unspeakably worse. They're a necessary evil, much like politics, experimental medicine, and the good ol' American Way.

So SJs, when you see us talking about how uptight and formal and closeminded you all are, think of what the world would be like without you and give a good smirk. You deserve it.

Vivid

MBTI Type
ISTJ
According to Myer briggs, I'm supposedly callous and cynical. But I don't see myself in that light! I think I'm especially warm hearted. I recently discovered that I was completely oblivious to ways in which I disregarded people's feelings. But still, I intend to be nice. That's what counts, right?... Right?
Nah. I'm just an ENFP wannabe.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
And speaking of ENFPeople...

What others might expect of our type...

Pluto_Protest_and_Counter_Protest.jpg

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
... poor pluto. Yes, we should sympathise in stead of hurting its feelings!!:hug:
Brilliant NFP example, CC!:thumbup:

nemo

Enneagram
<3
LOL

That's in Seattle. I think I've been to that Tully's.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
So this is no fiction??
People actually protested to support Pluto's planet status??
Whoever said Americans lack humour, must have been joking :D (forgive me my generalization, but it is meant as a compliment :yes:)