User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Fi vs Fe

Default Fi vs Fe

Let's settle this one right here right now, what the hell differentiates these two and how can one figure out the difference in themselves?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Fe: values are based on the object (external, group, etc);
    Fi: values are based on the subject (personal or universal)

To figure out which you prefer, just think where you get your values from. Self or others. Now, for T's, it will be more difficult, since (as I have come to see) in a nonpreferred position, the differentiation of e and i is a bit more fuzzy. F in general is basically a rejected function, but its two attitudes will come up in one complex or another; one of them likely more negative or "shadowy" than the other. But that's a more advanced level of the theory.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Fe tends to be more concerned with external societal rules, etiquette, politeness, and encouraging others to do the same.

Fi tends to be more focused on internal values and is concerned with ethics as an end to themselves, and not necessarily so much the societal rules of polite behavior. Fi wants to be authentically an individual, and in theory allows others to be their individual selves with less interference. This is debatable, apparently.

They both seem kind of warm and fuzzy, touchy-feely and sensitive I guess, so therein lies the confusion, particularly for a T.

MBTI
    I

Yeah, pretty much what has been said. Also, the way I see it...

Fe = likes to be liked by others

Fi = likes to be true to themselves

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The difference of E and I is essentially always a matter of point of reference. Feeling is about personal/interpersonal values. Introversion is looking to a standard made within, Extraversion is looking to a standard made without. Put it all together.

Fi use: Concern with following self-established values.
    Fe use: Concern with following socially established values.*

*Where social simply refers to the stuff of other people, and does not necessarilly have to do with popularity or authority.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    Let's settle this one right here right now, what the hell differentiates these two and how can one figure out the difference in themselves?
    Feeling - value judgments (good, bad, cool, not cool, etc.)
    Fe - value judgments with the mentality that you don't want to miss an environmental factor before judging. So like, Fe continuously checks with the current situation at the cost of being able to devote processing time to going in depth in value judgments. In other words, why would I go in depth about one judgment if i'm missing a key factor?
    Fi - value judgments with the mentality that the environment will distract from the ability to go into depth. As in, why would I waste my attention on everything in the environment -- it has nothing to do with what's actually GOOD or RIGHT.

There's a processing tradeoff between looking at everything going on and analyzing the factors you already have in depth. Fe prefers the breadth (what's going on) and Fi prefers the depth (what's already being thought about).

By the way, it's a myth that Fe users somehow gets their values from other people. Or that they directly care about other people's feelings. It's just that they're more likely to pay attention to other people and their feelings because they view those things as relevant environmental factors.

Edit: it's not realistic to think anyone is purely extroverted or purely introverted in their feeling, either. I and E just define opposing ends of a spectrum. It's completely possible for anyone to come to the exact same value judgments, regardless of their so-called preference. And even if someone was purely introverted or purely extroverted in their feeling, their perceiving functions or thinking function could be going in the opposite direction, which confounds the whole issue. The factors that introversion focuses on could come from extroverted functions, etc. etc.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    By the way, it's a myth that Fe users somehow gets their values from other people. Or that they directly care about other people's feelings. It's just that they're more likely to pay attention to other people and their feelings because they view those things as relevant environmental factors.
    One might argue that Fe and Fi users alike get their values from other people...
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

mine fight each other back and forth...but fi's hardcore...she always wins
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    One might argue that Fe and Fi users alike get their values from other people...
    Sure, or that they've biologically evolved and there's some sort of distribution, or whatever. My point was more that Fe users aren't necessarily conformists and Fi users aren't necessarily individualists. It's just a different overall focus.

MBTI
    INFP

I know this is way too old a thread, but could someone theorize on how Fe vs Fi will act when in love? How do those two function users love, really?