User Tag List

12 Last

Default Grinding Gears on the Road to Extraversion

I find this page on the Lenore Thomson wiki intriguing. Shallowness

Please share your thoughts.

The extraverted path for introverts

When introverts find themselves irrelevant, dissatisfied, powerless, and feeling like there's no hope of resolving some impasse in life, the basic Lenorean thesis would suggest that they try consciously cultivating shallowness. The words "introversion" and "extraversion" have come to mean "personality types" in popular usage, and are hard to understand even in Lenore's writing. A clearer formulation might simply be: depth and shallowness.

To cultivate shallowness, go after social status. Learn what triggers people to thoughtlessly obey or pay attention, and exploit it. Learn what is popular and imitate it so you can be popular, too. Experiment with superficiality: Don't Just be Yourself. This will feel like you're selling out. But it won't be, because your basic alignment with what really, inalterably matters will still be there. The power you gain, you'll use for genuine good. The difference will be that you'll accept that other people will not be responding with total understanding or appreciation of what you're doing and why. You'll be aware that they are responding for rather simplistic reasons. You'll play along with that part of the world knowingly instead of helplessly. You'll know that you can't control this part of things, you can only do your best in the face of it. Ultimately, you'll discover that you've been a part of this all along. You'll gain true awareness of your place in the greater world.
    This is a bit of a life theme for some introverts I guess. My mind used grind with the thought. Now, not so much.

And a Pearl Jam video for good measure.
    Wishlist
    Last edited by wolfy; 08-29-2009 at 08:45 AM. Reason: linked the video

Is it possible to pull off the above without becoming cynical? A little bit of cynicism is part of the deal I guess...

Here's another song while I'm at it...
    Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again

"Cultivating shallowness" is a silly way of putting it imo; I see it more as "cultivating breadth", opening up to how things present themselves around you and truely participating in it rather than curling up inside yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    "Cultivating shallowness" is a silly way of putting it imo; I see it more as "cultivating breadth", opening up to how things present themselves around you and truely participating in it rather than curling up inside yourself.
    I like the way you put it. Cultivating shallowness does seem to block you from really embracing the idea. I guess what the author is trying to get across is it can feel like shallowness to an introvert. Cultivating breadth is better or maybe effectiveness in the world. Like you said opening up instead of turning in.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I don't know if I agree with that passage or not, but I did think it was pretty funny.

On the occasions where I've extroverted myself I never felt like I had any kind of moral issue with it, I wasn't being untrue to myself, I was simply putting myself out there. It's an unfamiliar mode of operation, but not one that requires any fundamental change.

EDIT: Or maybe I've become such a cynic that I don't even recognize it
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I don't know if I agree with that passage or not, but I did think it was pretty funny.
    My thoughts precisely, although now I come to think about it, it really depends on the situation...meaning I don't necessarily get a ..uh..guilty conscience when I'm in extrovert mode. I think it only happens when I'm extroverted because other people want me to be...
    Born to Lurk

I think it's more about ambivalence than guilt. Ambivalence and cynicism.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Ambivalence and cynicism? What a downer
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Ha! Nicely put, I knew guilty conscience wasn't the right way to put it, but I couldn't come up with something better.
    Born to Lurk

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    Something kind of funny about this is that, whenever I’ve thought of it strictly in terms of building ‘breadth’, it’s made little or no sense to me. I mean- I’d been able to recognize it as ‘breadth’, been able to recognize 'breadth' in other people, but I tend to dismiss the sentiment that I might actually be able to work on expanding my own ‘breadth’ because I didn’t even begin to recognize anything that even resembled the capacity of ‘breadth’ in myself in the first place. (I’m ridiculously introverted.)

To cultivate shallowness, go after social status. Learn what triggers people to thoughtlessly obey or pay attention, and exploit it. Learn what is popular and imitate it so you can be popular, too. Experiment with superficiality: Don't Just be Yourself. This will feel like you're selling out. But it won't be, because your basic alignment with what really, inalterably matters will still be there.
    This helps me to recognize that ‘breadth’ in myself. I can’t tap into something if I can’t figure out what I’m supposed to be tapping into- but putting it in these terms is actually quite helpful to me, and makes ‘cultivating breadth’ seem like a much more reasonable and attainable goal.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari