• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How many Ns are in general population ?

how many Ns are in general population, in your opinion ?

• Total voters

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
This was taken from online MBTI statistics...

Total Artisans 36%
Entertainer 19%

ESFP 10%
ISFP 9%

Operator 17%
ISTP 9%
ESTP 8%

Total Guardian 43%
Administrator 23%

ESTJ 11%
ISTJ 12%

Conservator 20%
ESFJ 10%
ISFJ 10%

Total Rationalist 10%
Co-ordinators 5%

ENTJ 3%
INTJ 2%

Engineers 5%
ENTP 3%
INTP 3%

Total Idealist 12%
Advocate 8%
ENFP 6%
INFP 2%

Mentor * 4%
ENFJ 3%
INFJ 1%

Okay, but...

3903476896_bb1c67f121_o.jpg

That's surveying all the people on facebook who took the MBTI test. The N's actually outweigh the S's.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i am not just counting the 16 types.

someone may have the type FiNe and may be intuitive, but someone else may have the type FiNe and may hardly use his Ne. so, if all people would be poorly developed, then only four types (Ni and Ne doms) would appear to be intuitive. imo this creates the impression that there are not much more than 25% intuitives. most people's intuition is practically a subjective secret.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Okay, but...

That's surveying all the people on facebook who took the MBTI test. The N's actually outweigh the S's.

Hi

They key peice of information "MBTI on facebook" - which could be as many as 200 people or less... it may actually be a much bigger sample size.

The things is that face book only represents a fraction of the population - probably skewed younger and female, and then they happen to have taken the MBTI test.

Also you cna see from this site that N types way dominate, which suggests that S types don't use the net as much or don't use chat rooms or don't take MBTI tests without having reason.....

I took my stats of an MBTI specific website... I also conducted a nationally representative survey in the UK of 1000 people (on the phone) which showed similar results (but I used a questionnaire I made up so not perfect). But I did it for work so I can't just type you out the findings :D

C.23-25% N types....

I'm ptretty confident of that...

Now, different countries are bound to have slightly different skews because that can be about culture...

Hope this helps to show you why there are differences...

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ get 100 teenage girls to take the mbti test and 90 of them would come out an N. They... just... aren't... honest. :D

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
^ get 100 teenage girls to take the mbti test and 90 of them would come out an N. They... just... aren't... honest. :D

There is a wee bit more too it, it can't just be tennage girls but generally that is the gist....

On this site we have few S types - why? What is it about MBTI or chat rooms that S types don't like....

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know. The idea that it's not something they've experienced. Just an idea thrown to them. MBTI may be associated with Psychology which is associated with the mind which does not associate with senses hence, sensors find no interest in MBTI. Am I correct? :D

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Hi

They key peice of information "MBTI on facebook" - which could be as many as 200 people or less... it may actually be a much bigger sample size.

The things is that face book only represents a fraction of the population - probably skewed younger and female, and then they happen to have taken the MBTI test.

Also you cna see from this site that N types way dominate, which suggests that S types don't use the net as much or don't use chat rooms or don't take MBTI tests without having reason.....

I took my stats of an MBTI specific website... I also conducted a nationally representative survey in the UK of 1000 people (on the phone) which showed similar results (but I used a questionnaire I made up so not perfect). But I did it for work so I can't just type you out the findings :D

C.23-25% N types....

I'm ptretty confident of that...

Now, different countries are bound to have slightly different skews because that can be about culture...

Hope this helps to show you why there are differences...

Thanks for your reply. It's good that you did a survey of 1000 people, but the key points you mentioned are that you made the questionnaire, and that it is for the UK. This shows that the questions may not be perfect, and also certain cultural differences could be evident. (I've seen another study which showed the U.S.A. was more N and F than the UK, so there's something in that.)

Also, you mentioned that facebook is a fraction of the population, likely skewed younger and female. I'd agree that it's a fraction of the population (what fraction, I don't know), and that the average age on facebook is likely younger than the average age of the country, but I disagree that it's skewed female. Also, the sample size had to be at least somewhat large to get those kind of variances in the data.

As for this site, I do agree that N types dominate.

One thing I would love to see is the age distribution in these S vs. N battles. Because it seems to me that most of the users of Internet, including such sites like this one and facebook, are younger than the general population. Most young people are fluent in the uses of Internet these days. But then again, when general surveys are conducted, we see many more S's than N's in the general population. I have a feeling that the N to S ratio is far higher in younger people than it is in older ones, that's what I think.

Snow Turtle

What's the reason that most sensors come on here in the first place?

Could it be that intuitives are more likely to find these websites due to a search of identity? I know that INFPgc often have new comers going on about how they have finally found a home.

This student forum I frequent often has a huge population of Ns (at least self-typed: No need to tell me the potential flaws of this method.), there's also quite a huge population of sensors.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
rag...

I don't have a right or wrong answer, but you got the gist... there must be lots of reasons for it... :D

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What's the reason that most sensors come on here in the first place?

Could it be that intuitives are more likely to find these websites due to a search of identity? I know that INFPgc often have new comers going on about how they have finally found a home.

This student forum I frequent often has a huge population of Ns (at least self-typed: No need to tell me the potential flaws of this method.), there's also quite a huge population of sensors.
Sensors come here because they have an intuitive side to them that likes it here. :D

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Also, the sample size had to be at least somewhat large to get those kind of variances in the data.

....One thing I would love to see is the age distribution in these S vs. N battles. Because it seems to me that most of the users of Internet, including such sites like this one and facebook, are younger than the general population. Most young people are fluent in the uses of Internet these days.

Hey

You can't assume sample size with the likes of face book, they don't care about the statistics unless they are selling you advertising... So unfortunately you can't tell how bit it it so assume it's small unless they say it isn't...

Why not ask the moderators if they have collated the S N statistics for this site, many do list their type when tey register (although this needs to be taken with a pinch of salt because there are a fair few who then change).

It may be that S types are using the net for different things not face book or psycology sites... maybe they use amazon or book tickets bank etc... check facts etc rather than chat rooms.... all hypothesis....

As for the MBTI data I posted early - it is from a global site... One thing is there may be a skew in different countries but the rough proportions would match the global stat....

PS the UK showed less N's than the global stats... it's worth noting that the global stats will be mainly USA - given it's an online tool and it's liable to be heavily used by US people than other countries... Uk N type was around 19%.... The questionnaire I delveoped was taken from MBTI and then shortened...

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hi
Here is a link on MBTI stats - different data than the stuff I used when I compared with my research.....but not massively different from the stuff I quoted earlier

Meyers-Briggs Statistics

Can't say the population profiles... (possibly US/UK skewed given they use MBTI)

Snow Turtle

Student Poll 1 - 59% N 98/165

Source 2 - 74% N 129/173

Source 3 - 58% N 217/372

Student Medicine 4 - 76% N 78/102 - Mostly ENFJs/ENTJs and INTJs.

Then I got bored of searching up links. Based on this... It just runs parrallel with the whole "Ss don't exist on the interwebs" which is most likely false. That or sensors aren't interested in personality quizzies, but... they're so much fun! :O

PS. It's obvious that my statistics will be biased. xD

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Hey

You can't assume sample size with the likes of face book, they don't care about the statistics unless they are selling you advertising... So unfortunately you can't tell how bit it it so assume it's small unless they say it isn't...

Why not ask the moderators if they have collated the S N statistics for this site, many do list their type when tey register (although this needs to be taken with a pinch of salt because there are a fair few who then change).

It may be that S types are using the net for different things not face book or psycology sites... maybe they use amazon or book tickets bank etc... check facts etc rather than chat rooms.... all hypothesis....

As for the MBTI data I posted early - it is from a global site... One thing is there may be a skew in different countries but the rough proportions would match the global stat....

PS the UK showed less N's than the global stats... it's worth noting that the global stats will be mainly USA - given it's an online tool and it's liable to be heavily used by US people than other countries... Uk N type was around 19%.... The questionnaire I delveoped was taken from MBTI and then shortened...

You are right, I am making inferences as to what I personally think the proportions are.

But I'll give you some facts now... these are from a website that I found online talks acquired statistical data regarding type and population: http://www.elps.hs.iastate.edu/hged/document/MBTI_Dan_Main.pdf - Go to slide 31.

Slide 31 shows the differences between the United States and the United Kingdom:

2wqr9dt.jpg

It is interesting, and it shows that the U.S. is more I, more N, more F, and more P than the U.K.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
TCO

Those stats look more right, but please don't display them as facts.... there are no sample size, they are skewed as a student population etc etc etc...

In order for something to be statistically valid it needs a minimum of 1000 interviews per country - and I'd say somewhere like the US needs a lot more than that...

sorry don't mean to be picky... but careful what you beleive in... That said the stats look similar to other stats I've seen...

I would think that a conversation you had in May which Cited old research conducted by Keirsy is likely to be more accurate albe it considerably old.

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...3-enneagram-mbti-distribution-statistics.html

It might be worthwhile pointing out that no research is fact, it's all different degrees of indicative... unless it's a census, and the population is static and unchanging, all research is prone to sampling error - such as skewed population, device error, time constraints, etc etc the list goes on forever... Some research is better than others but non of it can be taken as pure fact.

This probalem is doubly compounded by the MBTI being a preference test... some peoples scores move dependng on how they feel - at least this is what they say... I don't beleive it personally, but it's self projected opinions not facts either...

The big picture is about 20-25% are N typs probably globably with some variations per country... it's not that common....

Snow Turtle

I find it somewhat amusing that the figures are showing that the US is more INFP oriented than the UK. The E-I already destroys all my misconceptions about the US being more extraverted in general than the UK.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I find it somewhat amusing that the figures are showing that the US is more INFP oriented than the UK. The E-I already destroys all my misconceptions about the US being more extraverted in general than the UK.

See my comments about the limits of the research.

Actually the UK is more introverted but not by much... remember MBTI definiton of Intoverted is where you do your thinking not if you are a socal person (although often they equate but not always).

In my survey I got a slight skew towards introvertedness in the UK but not massive

Jaguar

On this site we have few S types - why? What is it about MBTI or chat rooms that S types don't like....

The reason there aren't more S Types here, is the same reason there aren't more blacks in white supremacist forums.
Some of the posts made about sensors in this forum are tantamount to insanity.
I don't blame them for not wanting to join.
The general atmosphere is not exactly inviting.

If we want more S Types here, we need to change the prevailing attitude.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
The reason there aren't more S Types here, is the same reason there aren't more blacks in white supremacist forums.
Some of the posts made about sensors in this forum are tantamount to insanity.
I don't blame them for not wanting to join.
The general atmosphere is not exactly inviting.

If we want more S Types here, we need to change the prevailing attitude.

I suspect there is a lot more too it than that... there is a fair amount of type bashing all over.....

It's too skewed to just be a content issue (and it was prevelent on the face book data so it's not just about here.....

It's not important to me at all... TCO was curious about it, but there are loads of hypothesis one can muse over.

S types transact more than socalise
S types are more focused on family and more traditional social activities
S types use chat forums generally less
S types are less interested in psycology

Etc etc.... Loads of stuff more

Jaguar

I suspect there is a lot more too it than that... there is a fair amount of type bashing all over.....

It's too skewed to just be a content issue (and it was prevelent on the face book data so it's not just about here.....

It's not important to me at all... TCO was curious about it, but there are loads of hypothesis one can muse over.

S types transact more than socalise
S types are more focused on family and more traditional social activities
S types use chat forums generally less
S types are less interested in psycology

Etc etc.... Loads of stuff more

I didn't think for a minute the reality of the situation would be important to you.

I've had many PM's with S's who would fully agree with what I wrote.
The atmosphere is not exactly inviting.

The fact that you are blithely unaware of the depth of the problem, begs the question:
How can you call yourself inuitive?

The word, "obtuse" would be better suited to describe your claims and observations.